Vive, A Virtual Reality venture by HTC and VALVe

1. Cuerex Jelly Bean Mar 2, 2015

Cuerex, Mar 2, 2015 :
    [​IMG]

HTC - A big Taiwanese company which focuses on innovating and finding its own ideology on handheld devices and future applications. That's what we thought.. till now. Silently they're starting to set sail in a different direction and showcasing the Vive, as their respective part taker.

[​IMG]

VALVe - known as the ultimate content creator with titles such as Half Life 2 or Portal and occupier of a massively popular online game distribution service called Steam, realised that it needs more than just a platform to expand their weight in buisness.

The initiative Steam Universe took place and seeks to establish an eco system, to merge gamers and developers together for new possibilities of content creation in every direction, while relying on open standards. Like their fully accessible SteamOS, which is a Linux derivate with it's own UI to easen the life of Linux gamers. And maybe possessing a self fulfilling prophecy, to be an alternative desktop computergaming operation system.

vive.png

Vive - as in the inspiration of revival or rebirth.

Back in 1990, Virtual Reality already took place on a consumer level, but the technology was simply too unconvincing to the general mass, to buy their products due to the lack of fidelity, which VR actually needs to be, in order to deliver a great experience.

Now fastforward to 2015 and we live in an Era of 4096x2160 resolution displays, which become in such a tiny formfactor, that it becomes now even more feasible to immerse into new dimensions, just centimeters away from our pupils.

"What is the cause of all this?", we might ask.

The answer is simple.

Virtual Reality has great potential to become mainstream technology. In fact, it can teach us many things we couldn't think of before due to physical limitations in our real wold.

Maybe your next driving car lesson will set you in a different reality, which teaches you how to avoid riding off a cliff in a dangerous china resort or simply how to react correctly if accidents occur.

The magic has a keyword for VR called "presence" - it's the way your brain gets tricked into knowing that you still sit on this same chair and computing device. If you meet someone in VR and he gets really close to you, you will feel uneasy because he enters your private zone, even though it's just in virtual reality. Claustrophobia, fear of heights, your darkest nightmares, could all be visualised in VR and you feel like you're there, it's that effective.

Possibilities are endless and if the general consumer mass accepts them as their daily meditation helper, selfmade shelter, frightening generator or even masturbator, life will never be the same anymore. The potential in this buisness is so big that Facebook saw its potential and finally bought Oculus which enabled them a huge capital.

But let's get back on the Vive in general.

As far as we know, the Vive VR Headset will focus on creating virtual rooms within your room and makes its showcase in your close up area to feel as natural as possible and even enables you to move around in that destined area, they said

It comes with a new controller type which enables you to do simple stuff as grabbing items, maybe picking up a gun or use the force to get the remote which is just too far away from you.

The specifications on the VR Headset itself are not as detailed as we hoped it to be since it's still in development.
    It's possessing 2, 1200x1080p 90hz displays for each eye but the type of display used remains unknown as well as for the general field of view.

Lots of sensors which are in favor to track your every movement and to not get distracted by nauseous causes because of wrong calculated viewing angles.

FYI:
    Sony has Project Morpheus.
    Oculus has the Rift.
    Starbreeze has StarVR

now VALVe/HTC comes up with another contender.

It's great to see so many contenders in the emerging market of Virtual Reality but it remains unknown who's gonna do the jump and becomes the norm.

What do you think about it?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015

2. LifelessLewis Jelly Bean Mar 2, 2015

koltiwa likes this.
  3. Cuerex Jelly Bean Mar 2, 2015

Cuerex, Mar 2, 2015 :
    my bet is it's not, also i think that the delay would be to huge to deliver a good presentation, maybe in 8 years when virtual reality headsets are in the 4th generation

stephenlotus likes this.
  4. _ASSASSIN_ Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 2, 2015

stephenlotus likes this.
  5. Cuerex Jelly Bean Mar 2, 2015

Cuerex, Mar 2, 2015 :
    sorry it's 2am in germany, thanks and corrected

6. _ASSASSIN_ Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 2, 2015

_ASSASSIN_, Mar 2, 2015 :
    haha it's all good :)

7. LifelessLewis Jelly Bean Mar 2, 2015

LifelessLewis, Mar 2, 2015 :
    True the delay could be a bit annoying. I just wouldn't want to turn right like 360 degrees but but be able to keep turning right if need be because you'd have to turn the other way so you didn't get twisted in a wire, I get why they did it though.

8. Cuerex Jelly Bean Mar 2, 2015

Cuerex, Mar 2, 2015 :
    hmm that's a good thought. i mean they implied that they want to feature VR which takes place in your room, 4 by 4 meters, there's a good chance that cables could hinder you. maybe they found a solution, i think valve will tell us more over time like they always do

9. EpicSwirly Mar 2, 2015

EpicSwirly, Mar 2, 2015 :
    I still think that VR is a gimmick. While there are endless possibilities with the technology I just don't see VR being part of the average consumer as there is no real need for it. I feel that VR is just like 3D TV, cool for a little but after a few times it becomes a gimmick.

10. Cuerex Jelly Bean Mar 2, 2015

Cuerex, Mar 2, 2015 :
    in my opinion, 3D TV is not comparable to Virtual Reality.

It's the you which takes place in. Not the TV

11. LifelessLewis Jelly Bean Mar 2, 2015

LifelessLewis, Mar 2, 2015 :
    Yeah that's my thought. But I imagine there would be significant lag for wireless. I won't be getting it anyway as I game on Xbox but it does look pretty good. If I did buy it I'd definitely want to deal with a cable over constant lagging issues though so I think they made the right compromise.

12. Cuerex Jelly Bean Mar 2, 2015

Cuerex, Mar 2, 2015 :
    they probably won't create content which wants you to make pirouettes as quickly as possible to win a game anyway. it's interesting to watch where Steam would like to head with this kind of eco system

LifelessLewis likes this.
  13. Cuerex Jelly Bean Mar 2, 2015

XGUESS and stephenlotus like this.
  14. Cuerex Jelly Bean Mar 2, 2015

stephenlotus likes this.
  15. DaxNagtegaal Lollipop Mar 2, 2015

16. Cuerex Jelly Bean Mar 2, 2015

Cuerex, Mar 2, 2015 :
    hololens is augmented reality, it creates virtual objects in our reality by utilising a half transparent oled screen

virtual reality headsets work different, it wants you to totally believe that you are elsewhere but not in your room

Joyyy and DaxNagtegaal like this.
  17. DaxNagtegaal Lollipop Mar 2, 2015

DaxNagtegaal, Mar 2, 2015 :
    Thank you for the info I didn't know this.

In that case, both are very cool.. Transparent screens, I didn't know that was possible...

18. Cuerex Jelly Bean Mar 2, 2015

Cuerex, Mar 2, 2015 :
    check out this awesome watch, it utilises a half transparent oled screen aswell for notifications. in reality though, the it darkens the visibility beneath it alot, hololens would make good sunglasses in this regard

XGUESS and DaxNagtegaal like this.
  19. DaxNagtegaal Lollipop Mar 2, 2015

DaxNagtegaal, Mar 2, 2015 :
    That looks awesome, too bad it's a few billion dollars. Probably.

20. Bo_Floyd Gingerbread Mar 2, 2015

paul yazbeck and zapablast05 like this.