Voices of OnePlus: Favorite OnePlus Product of the Decade—7 Pro

1. aenews
    KitKat Jan 10, 2020

aenews , Jan 10, 2020 :
    I have personally owned every flagship OnePlus device since the OnePlus 2 through the OnePlus 7 Pro (excluding 7T Pro since the primary variant was not released in North America). I’m here to talk a bit about my favorite OnePlus product—the OnePlus 7 Pro. While I could talk about everything, I’m choosing today to focus on the most stand-out feature of the device, which would be the display.

Display

I was more excited than anyone else when the display specifications dropped for the 7 Pro. For years, I have wanted OnePlus to finally make the move to QHD. I have also been excited about high refresh rate displays on mobile ever since the first displays dropped back in 2017 starting with the Razer Phone. Speculation suggested that high refresh rate would be harder to achieve with OLED, and it wasn’t until the original Asus ROG Phone launched in October 2018 with a 90Hz FHD AMOLED Display that high-refresh OLED finally made it to market. Even amongst IPS Panels, the 120Hz Razer Phone 2 (also launched in October 2018) was the only phone with both QHD and a high refresh rate.

That’s why it was so surprising that OnePlus was first to market with a high-refresh QHD+ OLED panel. I was a bit skeptical at the start but optimistic since having a revolutionary panel would likely mean that OnePlus pulled from higher-grade Samsung panels, especially given that no panels of this variety currently existed. Fortunately, this proved to be the case.

With previous generations starting with the OP3, OnePlus had stuck with FHD AMOLED panels from Samsung. While they were still fairly good displays, the past few generations have shown little improvement and were clearly not the same display quality as the best Samsung panels (i.e. Galaxy S, Galaxy Note, iPhone X, Pixel XL) in terms of color gamut and accuracy, even aside from resolution. Personally, the 7 Pro impressed me in several fronts:
    • QHD+ 90Hz AMOLED Display

• Higher Overall Display Quality (Wider Color Gamut and Higher Accuracy)

• Larger Size—5.7” Equivalent: The 7 Pro is roughly the same size/width as the Note series rather the typical 5.5” (16:9) form factor OnePlus has used since the OPO and continues to use for the non-Pro models. The actual display diagonal size is 6.67” owing to the rather long 19.5:9 aspect ratio.

• No Notch with Slim Bezels

• Extremely Fast In-Display FP Scanner: The FP Scanner is faster than most physical scanners and the software allows for learning over time that improves the accuracy of the reader. Overall, it’s the best FP Scanner from OnePlus.
    There are a few disadvantages as well with the display.

• Rounded Corners: The corners of the 7 Pro are less curved than the older 6T but still a bit more curved than those of the S10+ or Note 10+. The Note 9 has only subtly rounded corners since it was rectangular with top/bottom bezel. Overall, this is not a big issue as the corners are not egregiously rounded on the 7 Pro.

• Curved Edges: I don’t have an issue with curved edges, but the edges of the 7 Pro are far more curved than necessary for no practical benefit. More curved than typical Samsung displays including the S10+. The glare is roughly twice as large under bright lighting conditions. Not a huge detriment to me, personally. I hope the edges are more subtly curved for the OP8 Pro.

• Size: I appreciate the larger display and longer aspect ratio. It’s especially great for reading and easily worthwhile for me. However, the larger size definitely poses difficulty for some people and could make it hard to use the device single-handedly for those with smaller hands.

• Pop-Up Camera: The cost of having no notch or bezels would be the introduction of the pop-up camera. Personally, I find this solution to be optimal as I don’t frequently take selfies. I’m also not concerned about durability given how well the camera has survived tests and also given free-fall detection. While the camera is reasonably fast, this does also mean that Face Unlock is nowhere near as fast as previous OnePlus phones.
    As a tech enthusiast, I frequently buy new technology. I upgrade every six months to the latest from OnePlus. However, I also buy other devices. I bought the Note 9 when it launched in August 2018. I upgraded the 6 to the 6T but eventually it ended up collecting dust as I grew rather addicted to the much better display on the Note 9. Just as the N9 ruined the 6/6T for me, the 7 Pro has ruined all other smartphone displays (for now). I’m personally looking forward to the QHD+ 120Hz OLED Displays that will reportedly be out in the OP8 Pro and S11/S11+. Albeit I’m not so happy about the hole-punch and can only hope that they will be relatively small and reasonably placed.

Addendum

With the advent of many new aspect ratios on smartphones in recent years, it can be rather confusing for comparison purposes that manufacturers advertise the diagonal size. Longer aspect ratios will inevitably lead to longer diagonal sizes even if width is kept constant. It can also be difficult to distinguish at first glance how smartphones have grown in size (or not) over the years and between models.

I made a convenient chart that shows the equivalent diagonal size (the effective diagonal size for the 16:9 portion of the display) for some of the popular strains of smartphones. This is rather important since width is the more constraining factor of smartphones and you would be limited to 16:9 when watching most videos on YT and other platforms.