Volume Keys not working when screen is off [OP3]

1. G__baeU
    Eclair Jul 21, 2016

G__baeU , Jul 21, 2016 :
    Hi all,

I've noticed a strange SW bug: in certain scenarios, when the screen is turned off, after a few seconds my volume keys stop working. Initially I thought it was just when listening to music but I've since determined it happens in phone calls as well.

I wrote out the following before I realized it applied to phone calls as well, but you get the idea here.

When I'm listening to music with wired headphones or the built in speaker, using the native music app Google Play Music, if I turn the screen off and wait for around 10s, the volume buttons stop working.

I'm pretty confident it's not a HW problem because outside of that very specific scenario (wired headphones or phone speaker + Google Play Music + screen off > 10s), this does not seem to happen. The volume keys always work fine with the screen on, they work fine if I have just turned the screen off in the past few seconds, and they work fine with Bluetooth headphones.

When I get the volume keys in this broken state, I can recover them either by turning the screen back on (immediate recovery) or by hitting a volume key a bunch of times before it starts reacting (usually 5-6 times).

I'm wondering if there's some obscure setting that would be affecting this, like a setting designed to prevent accidental volume button hits while the phone's in a pocket or some such, but it's not 100% consistent across apps, etc so I doubt it.

If anyone else has time to try recreating this problem I would appreciate it. The following steps recreate this problem for me 90% of the time:

1. Connect wired headphones to the headphone jack on an OP3 (Bluetooth connected headphones do not experience this bug).
    2. Start playing any music in Google Play Music.
    3. With screen on, move volume up/down a few notches to confirm basic functionality.
    4. Turn screen off and wait 10-15 seconds.
    5. With screen still off, try moving volume up/down with rocker on phone. For me this will usually not work until I either turn the screen back on or hit the keys many times (just now it took 15 volume down hits to get the volume moving).

I am running OOS 3.2.1 non-rooted.

I also see discussion of the same issue happening on a OnePlus 2 here.

Thanks.

Update: This happens during calls as well with the built-in speaker. I.e. if I'm talking to someone on the phone and hold it away from my head so the screen turns on, the volume keys work as normal. If I bring it close to my face so the screen turns off, and immediately use the volume keys they still work fine. However if I wait for 5-10 seconds after the screen turns off and then try to adjust the volume it does not work and I have to move the phone back away from my head until the screen turns on before I can adjust volume again.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016

2. riffraff81
    KitKat Jul 21, 2016

riffraff81 , Jul 21, 2016 :
    hmm, i'll need to try that with my headphones to see if I have this bug.

EDIT: NVM, as you said this bug only happens with wired headphones and the only headphones i have are bluetooth so I wouldn't be able to test.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016

Andrew 323 likes this.
  3. G__baeU
    Eclair Jul 21, 2016

G__baeU , Jul 21, 2016 :
    Hi,

Thanks for checking in. I find this bug actually does occur with the built-in speakers of the phone as well, i.e. if you're playing music through the large speaker at the bottom of the phone or when you're making a phone call and using the ear-speaker near the front camera (not sure what the technical name for that speaker). So you should be able to test it with no headphones in the mix.

I.e. if you have a few moments could you try the following?

1. Call yourself from another phone, answer, and lay the phone back-down on a table so the screen stays on. No need to go to speaker phone, just leave it on the normal phone ear speaker (the small speaker by the front camera).
    2. With the screen on, use the volume up/down keys to change volume to confirm basic functionality of those keys.
    3. Put the volume to max. For me, there are only 4 increments from min to max so once you're at max, 4 taps of Volume Down should get you to Min.
    4. Now put your finger over the camera/ proximity sensor area so the screen turns off, and immediately after it turns off, try hitting Volume Down 4 times.
    5. Move your finger so the screen turns back on. Hit the volume again to see where you are. You should find you're at the bottom of the on-screen volume slider. That confirms your volume keys are still active immediately after the screen turns off.
    6. Now repeats steps 3-4 but after turning off the screen, wait 10 seconds before trying to modify the volume.
    7. Turn the screen back on and see where you are. For me, with this longer delay between screen turning off and using volume keys, I generally find they have not done anything. Occasionally they still work, but I'd say 80-90% of the time they don't.

If any of that is unclear I can post a Youtube video of this bug in action later today.

Thanks.

4. Jrocci
    Honeycomb Jul 21, 2016

Jrocci , Jul 21, 2016 :
    This happens to me too - using just the handset on a call (haven't tested it w/ earbuds or a headset). I need to pull the phone away from my ear/face to increase or decrease the call volume. I am on 3.2.1.

G__baeU likes this.
  5. G__baeU
    Eclair Jul 21, 2016

G__baeU , Jul 21, 2016 :
    Sorry to hear you're experiencing this too, but glad to hear somebody else can confirm this bug.

BTW, how much does this bug actually irritate you? It drives me crazy but I do a lot of volume adjusting up/down both when listening to music and on phone calls and I'm wondering if that's just unusual behaviour. Like I'm curious if this bug exists on all OP3s but I'm just the only weirdo out there who tweaks the volume often enough to notice it.

Also, I checked on a friend's Nexus 5 running Android 6 (MM) and this bug does not occur on her phone.

6. Jrocci
    Honeycomb Jul 22, 2016

Jrocci , Jul 22, 2016 :
    I'm actually not sure the bug happens when I'm listening to media (Audible or Podcast Addict specifically). I'll have to check though. I've really only noticed it during calls.

7. Agil krish
    Eclair Jul 22, 2016

Agil krish , Jul 22, 2016 :
    My problem is I hear a tik tik sound form volume keys when I shake my phone. I wonder whether my volume keys r loose or something ?? Anybody else noticed ?

8. Jrocci
    Honeycomb Jul 22, 2016

Jrocci , Jul 22, 2016 :
    You realize this is ridiculously off topic, yes?

obiwan+ likes this.
  9. Agil krish
    Eclair Jul 22, 2016

Agil krish , Jul 22, 2016 :
    Yea brother I do realise it bt it's about volume keys right ? Isn't it ? So I tght i shd ask it here.

10. obiwan+
    Honeycomb Jul 22, 2016

obiwan+ , Jul 22, 2016 :
    Didn't run into this problem yet because my headphones are currently broken, but I believe you and hope they will fix this problem as soon as possible. I'm used to changing my iPhone and iPad's volume while screen is off. To turn on the screen every time would drive me crazy.

GreenHatFish likes this.
  11. ungeeked
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 22, 2016

ungeeked , Jul 22, 2016 :
    I can confirm that this happens on my phone too.

But this happens only with play music and not with other music apps including third party ones. I even tried with a different versions of play music but this persists

obiwan+ likes this.
  12. G__baeU
    Eclair Jul 22, 2016

G__baeU , Jul 22, 2016 :
    Yeah I've found the same thing so far.

To quickly summarize the problem:
    • It exists with all speakers that are directly driven by the phone, which includes the phone's built-in ear speaker (near the camera), the phone's larger speaker-phone speaker (near the charger port), and wired headphones.
    • It does not happen with speakers not directly driven by the phone, i.e. Bluetooth speakers. As such I suspect it would not happen with USB audio devices either.
    • It happens only with some apps. So far I can confirm that it definitely happens with Google Play Music and the Phone app itself (hence the issue during calls). It does not happen with Player FM podcast app, and as noted by others here it does not happen with some other third party music apps.
    • I've checked for the same bug on a Nexus 4 running Android 4 and a Nexus 5 running Android 6 and I can confirm neither of those phones exhibit the issue.
    • As mentioned earlier, I found some old posts describing similar issues on earlier OnePlus phones.
    @Bradon H - Are you guys aware of this bug? On affected phones, it's very easy and quick to reproduce (a few minute's work) using the steps I outlined earlier in this thread. I'm not clear if this affects all OP3s or just some units, but based on this thread, it's not just mine.

Thanks.

sahirhussain likes this.
  13. xlaloman1818
    Gingerbread Jul 22, 2016

xlaloman1818 , Jul 22, 2016 :
    I find the the Volume Output via Bluetooth is pretty weak on this phone (1+3) compare to the output volume of the 1+1 which was pretty loud! I put my car's Bluetooth speaker at full volume as well as the phone and the voice directions from Google maps is still not that loud that I have to be quiet enough to hear it and make sense of it. This sux man!

sahirhussain likes this.
  14. G_Nouho_Fofana_yMWq
    Cupcake Jul 23, 2016

G_Nouho_Fofana_yMWq , Jul 23, 2016 :
    I have noticed the same problem but it only happens when I do a long (continuous) press on the volume key. if I do 1 press at a time then the volume changes up and down even when screen is off. So my solution is don't press and hold volume button but press and depress. Alternatively, you can double tap screen to wake it then press and hold volume button.

15. dobiegillis
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 23, 2016

16. G__baeU
    Eclair Aug 4, 2016

G__baeU , Aug 4, 2016 :
    Quick update: This still happens on OOS 3.2.2.

@Bradon H - is your support/dev/ROM team aware that the OP3 keys do not always function when the screen is off? E.g. sometimes you can't adjust volume during a call without first moving the phone away from your head.

And before any support people ask:
    • This is not a HW problem or a bad unit, it's a SW proble as detailed in my first post.
    • It's reported by mutiple users (see replies to this thread).
    • I've done multiple factory resets while debugging other issues, e.g. the ongoing notification trainwreck, and that does not help.
    • I have not dropped my phone or gotten it wet.

piotrick likes this.
  17. G__baeU
    Eclair Aug 4, 2016

G__baeU , Aug 4, 2016 :
    I just submitted a support ticket for this, and included the URL for this thread. If you're experiencing this issue as well, I'd recommend doing the same. Also, if you've never dropped your phone or gotten it wet, tell them that. From everything I hear from other users, that's their first line of questioning right after have you tried rebooting.

18. F_Andrea_Ippolito_ZsRS
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 4, 2016

F_Andrea_Ippolito_ZsRS , Aug 4, 2016 :
    On Spotify, I can confirm that with the screen off, holding the volume up or down button doesn't change it.
    However, single pushes work.

Still annoying though.
    Tested with the main speaker.

Haven't tried other media apps nor phone.

19. G__baeU
    Eclair Aug 4, 2016

G__baeU , Aug 4, 2016 :
    Thanks for your input.

I think that long press volume keys never does anything on the OP3. I've seen others complain about this. That is a separate issue from what I am describing. So it sounds like you're not experiencing the issue I'm describing, at least with Spotify.

Can you confirm that in Spotify, if you leave the screen off for 10+ seconds first, then single-hit the volume keys, they always work immediately? What about the same with the stock music app or during a phone call?

20. piotrick
    Gingerbread Aug 4, 2016

piotrick , Aug 4, 2016 :
    I am experiencing the issue where I cannot increase or decrease the volume with the volume buttons while on a call. I have to move the phone away from my ear so that the screen lights up, and then they are functional. Of course while doing this, I am missing part of the conversation.

I feel like this worked before 3.2.2 and is a side-effect of the now fixed pocket problem. Or I could be out of my mind :) Either way, this seems like something fixable as long as it gets traction.