Vote for Your Favorite Texture!

1. Vito L. OnePlus Product Manager Staff Member Jan 12, 2018

Vito L., Jan 12, 2018 :
    Vote for Your Favorite Texture!.jpg

Friends,

From the OnePlus One to the OnePlus 5T, we’ve launched phones made with different materials and varying textures. Our very first phone, the OnePlus one, used a plastic back. We briefly experimented with ceramic and glass for the launch of the OnePlus X, while we used various kinds of wood, as well as Karbon to make up our selection of StyleSwaps on the OnePlus 2. The all-aluminum builds of our most recent devices have quickly won over the hearts of our community. This hasn’t kept us from bringing back beloved materials like Sandstone, which recently made a big splash on the OnePlus 5T Sandstone White, combining our signature material with a sleek all-aluminum shell.

Of course, no texture is perfect. Every texture has its pros and cons.
    • Plastic comes in all shapes, colors, and sizes. On the flipside of that flexibility, it lacks a distinctive texture of its own and is quick to show signs of wear and tear.
    • Phones with a glass back create a sense of depth, as if something is hidden under the glass. This sense of depth enhances its beauty, but glass is also among the more fragile materials used in smartphone design and may break more easily than metal and plastic.
    • Our wood and Sandstone materials possess a distinct and natural feeling texture that is wholly unlike anything else. Similarly, Karbon has a distinct look and feel. But, these materials cannot be used in true unibody designs.
    • Metal is a solid and resilient material. However, metal can obstruct the signal, so the use of an antenna band is required to receive a signal.
    • Ceramic is virtually scratch-proof and shiny, but is heavier than most materials.
    On top of all of these factors, each texture has a distinctive appearance and grip. Different people may prefer different textures, regardless of overall quality and durability. So, what’s your favorite texture? We look forward to hearing your thoughts. Hit up the survey [HERE]. We will announce the results in about 2 weeks’ time.

As always, let’s continue to work together to create the best tech. If you have any other ideas or suggestions, please feel free to share your ideas in the comments below!

Never Settle

Update:

Thanks for everyone's participation! We’d like to share the survey result as below:
    • 76% of users think the material matters a lot when they are considering a purchase.
    • The top five favorite materials are
      • Metal - 48%
      • Karbon (DuPont™ Kevlar® fiber) - 14.8%
      • Ceramic - 13.9%
      • Glass - 8%
      • Plastic - 3.7%
    • The top five materials that users would like for their next smartphone are
      • Metal - 39.2%
      • Ceramic - 18.7%
      • Karbon (DuPont™ Kevlar® fiber) - 18.2%
      • Glass - 10.4%
      • Wood - 3.5%

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2018

hsb.zmn, Bastidn, MNavy_ and 75 others like this.
  2. smartbuddy Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 12, 2018

smartbuddy, Jan 12, 2018 :
    Ceramic would be great... yes it would be a bit heavy but it would surely be class apart and unique device!

3. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jan 12, 2018

4. rva Gingerbread Jan 12, 2018

rva, Jan 12, 2018 :
    Mental?

@Cheetosdust lol yea saw that too. And not once but twice! Then again it’s not surprising 'cause the Downloads page has had the 'Download Oxygen Recovey' typo for ages.

5. BeingIncog Marshmallow Jan 12, 2018

6. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Jan 12, 2018

youbi, Jan 12, 2018 :
    Thanks for asking us our opinion once again. There isn't a better way to develop your products and to make most of us happy. :p

If you have an awesome community, better use it.;)

To me I want the strength of the metal, the looks of the ebony wood, the signal capacities of the glass and the grip of the sandstone. Can you make it happen? :sweatsmile:

7. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Jan 12, 2018

dsmonteiro, Jan 12, 2018 :
    My favorite combination of by far a metal frame around the phone with a back made of a different material, either plastic (with sandstone) or ceramic.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

8. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jan 12, 2018

Cheetosdust, Jan 12, 2018 :
    I don’t mind a metal phone, since I always feel like it’s sturdy.

The glass back is beautiful, but way more fragile. If you opt for this material, I think you can only justify if with wireless charging.

Also, a ceramic back is cool and all, but probably will up the cost of the phone. Whatever you do, please don’t go with plastic. For me, it gives a “cheap” feeling - even the one used in the iPhone 5C.

Hydra Bob, Bouncer71 and rva like this.
  9. scestniq Donut Jan 12, 2018

scestniq, Jan 12, 2018 :
    I voted for mental too, would be my favorite :) it gives the phone such transcendental look ;)

RonaldM likes this.
  10. theshinybeast Lollipop Jan 12, 2018

theshinybeast, Jan 12, 2018 :
    I tend to agree with this person, must be because he be community expert, he got stripes, although Sandstone with mental [sic] frame ftw!
    :rolleyes:

arun123sa, Hydra Bob, eye842 and 2 others like this.
  11. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Jan 12, 2018

12. Plenkske Dutch POC Assistant Head Moderator Jan 12, 2018

Plenkske, Jan 12, 2018 :
    Where is Sandstone in the options ....

If the reason is this:
    Then remove wood and karbon aswell.

Edit: I read again, you categorize it as plastic. But there are plastic phones without sandstone so... ;) the vote is not super clear in that case

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

SilentCrow likes this.
  13. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Jan 12, 2018

youbi, Jan 12, 2018 :
    Personally in the end and since the unbreakable screens are still not a decent reality. I will probably always use a case, so this is why I went for metal in the options, because at least with that one I know I won't have much to worry about in the long term. :sweatsmile:

iNtEnSePL and meatandy like this.
  14. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Jan 12, 2018

idkwhoiam322, Jan 12, 2018 :
    But wouldn't metal phones also possess the probability of over heating like in the case of the Snapdragon 821(I think) , and putting on a case cause it to dissipate the heat slower, potentially over heating the device?
    Although chips have gotten better I think glass or good plastic is the way to go.

15. luxuskamel KitKat Jan 12, 2018

luxuskamel, Jan 12, 2018 :
    we had these categories already in a QotW before the OnePlus 3 came out. As OnePlus would never make samsung-alike-cheap-feeling backcovers the word plastic refers to a premium plastic such as sandstone

Vignesh_raj, eye842 and meatandy like this.
  16. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Jan 12, 2018

youbi, Jan 12, 2018 :
    I think you are seeing it wrong, metal phones would have the better dissipation of heat. :p I remember seeing an article (i think on XDA bench test), that also pointed out that the fact that the op5 was metal vs some glass ones, it handled better long periods with the CPU at top speeds and with less throttle.

But yeah, if you put a case on it it kind of ruins it. :p

meatandy likes this.
  17. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Jan 12, 2018

Frame! That was the word I was missing! Thanks...

meatandy and theshinybeast like this.
  18. GuitarHero0179 Jelly Bean Jan 12, 2018

A_D_A_M, meatandy and G_plusone like this.
  19. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Jan 12, 2018

Metal is a great heat conductor, so it's actually the other way around.

The problem is, because it's a great heat conductor, when it's above your body temperature, it transmits that heat quickly giving the impression that is warmer than other materials with lower conductivity, like wood or glass.

That's why a wooden floor is more comfortable and feels warmer than one made of stone.

More here: https://www.exploratorium.edu/snacks/cold-metal

20. agoinfly Lollipop Jan 12, 2018

markini and eye842 like this.