[Submitted] VPN app keeps getting killed without notification

1. xvl260
    Eclair Mar 23, 2021

xvl260 , Mar 23, 2021 :
    VPN app keeps getting killed without notification.

2. ryhold
    Honeycomb Mar 23, 2021

ryhold , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 23, 2021 :
    Go into the Play Store.
    Search for Android Webview.
    Uninstall its updates.
    Enjoy. 👍🏻

P.S. Deactivate 'auto update' in the app store until Google/OnePlus fixes this bug.

xvl260 likes this.
  3. xvl260
    Eclair Mar 23, 2021

4. ryhold
    Honeycomb Mar 23, 2021

ryhold , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 23, 2021 :
    The problem you are experiencing is to do with a Google Webview bug which popped up about 24 hours ago.

Go into the Play Store and check if there is an update for Webview or Chrome.
    If an update of these two apps doesn't fix your problem, you could either wait for a day for Google to make a new Webview version available for your phone or

Fix until then if an update doesn't work for you:

Go into the Play Store.
    Search for Android Webview.
    Uninstall its updates.
    Text your mum that you love her.
    Enjoy your working phone. 👍🏻

P.S. Deactivate 'auto update' in the app store settings until Google/OnePlus fixes this bug.

Please report back if this has helped you. 😊

Cheers,
    Mark

“We are aware of an issue with WebView causing some apps on Android to crash for some users,” Google said in a statement.

Some Android apps were crashing for some people, but Google has fixed it. The issue was due to a system component called Android System WebView that lets Android apps display web content. Google now has a fix that requires users to update Android System WebView to version 89.0.4389.105 and Google Chrome to the latest version now on available on Google Play.

The issues began on Monday afternoon and lasted about seven hours, according to the Google Workspace dashboard for Gmail. .

xvl260 and Myriah.Wolo28 like this.
  5. xvl260
    Eclair Mar 24, 2021

xvl260 , Mar 24, 2021 :
    Tried uninstalling the webview updates, the VPN app still gets killed.

6. ryhold
    Honeycomb Mar 24, 2021

ryhold , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 24, 2021 :
    Right.

Then the problem must be of another nature.

Clean the cache of the app and delete all its data.

Restart your phone.

Open the app and type in your account info.

Contact the VPN app company if above doesn't help.

7. xvl260
    Eclair May 5, 2021

xvl260 , May 5, 2021 :
    The problem is not another nature. The problem is the OP8 Pro OxygenOS global ROM keeps killing VPN apps. I tried 2 different VPNs and both got killed randomly. This doesn't happen with my previous phone (Samsung S8+). China have stepped up VPN blocking in the recent time, it's likely that the HydrogenOS Chinese ROM has anti-VPN code that's not completely removed for the global ROM. I sent the log to one of the staff who contacted me via PM, but they haven't replied. If my guess is correct, then they can't, because they can't admit to having anti-VPN code in the global ROM.

8. ryhold
    Honeycomb May 6, 2021

ryhold , via OnePlus 7 Pro , May 6, 2021 :
    My VPN app gets killed about every 12 hours. That's more to
    do with RAM management though I presume. I've got no
    problems whatsoever with Astrill. I wasn't satisfied with
    Express or PandaPow (slow, difficult to connect to certain
    servers).
    Perhaps you can try one of your mates Astrill accounts for a
    day to check if the problem goes away.

9. xvl260
    Eclair May 6, 2021

xvl260 , May 6, 2021 :
    I tried TunnelBear and Ivacy. Both apps got killed randomly. I looked through some of the posts, people started having issues around the OnePlus 6T release, which was back in 2018. In early 2018 the Chinese government announced banning the use of VPN except for ones approved by the government. The Chinese government probably required Chinese companies to add anti-VPN code to their firmware. But that should be removed for the global ROM. Maybe the ant-VPN code is so integrated into the ROM that it can't be removed? There are many threads on here and Reddit and OnePlus never responded.

10. ryhold
    Honeycomb May 6, 2021

Not sure. I"ve been using Astrill in China without issues for about a year. Before that I used PandaPow with my OnePlus in China running Oxygen OS. I know of another person using a VPN with his 一加 in the mainland.
    Perhaps it's to do with the quality of the VPN provider? I'm happy to spend $120 a year for a stable connection. Nord VPN and quite a few others are rubbish in China.

xvl260 likes this.
  11. xvl260
    Eclair May 6, 2021

xvl260 , May 6, 2021 :
    I used Ivacy for 2+ years, no disconnects from my Samsung S8+ or PC. I'm using this phone in the US, so VPN is not blocked by the government. I shouldn't get random disconnects. At this point it's just like a rant, I know it won't get fixed. Just look at any of the previous threads, no one ever have a solution. I'm glad your phone's VPN is working at least, I think the VPN blocking wasn't added until somewhat recently. My mom has a OnePlus 1 that she used in China many years ago, the VPN works on that. But back then basically any VPN works, the GFW wasn't as advanced yet, and OnePlus is still ran more like an independent company. Now that OnePlus is basically Oppo, whatever code is in Oppo's ColorOS probably got carried over. So for me, I'll sell this phone an go back to Samsung once the S22+ is released, no more Chinese phones for me.

Last edited: May 6, 2021

12. ryhold
    Honeycomb May 6, 2021

13. ryhold
    Honeycomb May 6, 2021

So, you are not in China? You've got this problem right now in the US?
    Reinstall the VPN software, reset your phone etc.

If you are in China right now:
    Does your VPN app get killed or do you merely get disconnected? If the latter were the case, it may have to do with the CN government having put VPN detection and disruption measures in place in recent years. Most VPN providers can't be bothered to find ways to circumvent those measures. The more expensive ones offer a 'stealth mode' though which works, in my case at least, like a charm. Before choosing a VPN provider always make sure that it works properly in China without constant disconnects.
    I'm not sure what your profession is, but there is obviously also a chance that certain software was installed specifically onto your phone by big brother. Buy an iPhone then, fewer backdoors.
    Anyhow, OneOlus can't afford blocking all VPNs in China or internationally because there are also the state sanctioned VPNs, i.e. the legal ones.
    Also, VPNs are needed to put ones device into ones company's network when not in the office. It's just a basic protocol; no phone company could afford to deactivate it for political reasons.
    If you've got a mate using Astrill, ask him if you can try it on your phone for a day.

xvl260 likes this.
  14. xvl260
    Eclair May 6, 2021

xvl260 , May 6, 2021 :
    The VPN app gets completely killed. If it just disconnect, my VPN app has a kill switch, so it would block all traffic. The problem is the app itself gets killed.

I'm in the US, I'm using VPN just to add a layer of security. I'm not a journalist or anyone that would be targeted. My VPN on my home PC works just fine. If I'm somehow targeted, they would've interrupted that too.

I don't think OnePlus is blocking individual VPN one by one, more like a blanket VPN detection and kill the VPNs. Then maybe the Chinese government approved VPN would get on an allow list instead. Unfortunately I don't know of anyone who has Astrill, maybe I'll buy a month of subscription just to test it out. But since both TunnelBear and Ivacy apps got killed, I doubt it'll make a difference for me.

Thanks for the replies.

15. ryhold
    Honeycomb May 6, 2021

I'd reset my phone.

16. xvl260
    Eclair May 6, 2021

xvl260 , May 6, 2021 :
    With so many other reports of VPN disconnection, resetting the phone probably won't fix this. I'll just deal with it for now, wait for the next gen Samsung phone.

ryhold likes this.
  17. Freedance
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2021

Freedance , Sep 8, 2021 :
    Depending on which country you live in, some Internet content may have geographical restrictions that prevent you from watching it. Unfortunately, some sites can detect VPNs and block access to content even for them. Netflix has been particularly good at this. Known IP addresses are scanned for VPN servers, so when you try to access content, Netflix checks the IP address against its database and blocks access. However, this is a rather complicated algorithm that few people use. Internet service providers sometimes purposely reduce access speeds if users consume a lot of traffic. When all traffic is encrypted, ISPs do not know what data is transmitted via vpncoffee.com and cannot limit anything.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021