Wait for OnePlus 6 or Get the 5T?

1. tofylion
    Froyo Dec 11, 2017

tofylion , Dec 11, 2017 :
    I have never used a OnePlus device ever and this is my entry point to the community. I would be getting the devices from abroad (so no warranty here) and wanted some advice from you guys.
    My phone has had a rough time recently (Lumia 950) and as much as I love it, I can't count on it as it has some motherboard problems -- restarts and battery drains are common. I've been using one of my family's old phones (Xperia C4) which has touch issues and kind of freaks out on me sometimes. I can go with both phones hand in hand and make t through the next 5 or so months and wait for the announcement of the OnePlus 6, so here's my situation:
    - Either wait for the OnePlus 6 with two semi working devices,
    - or grab me a OnePlus 5T now and get it over with.

I'll put my problems for both propositions so you have a clearer picture:
    (+ for OP6, and - for OP5T)
    + I guess when the OP6 comes out, it'll have a price bump like every year and I can barely aim for the 5T as is (there are more important things to spend money on, like college :\)
    + I'll have to endure the frustration of working with these other phones
    - It has some problems now and will probably be outdated in some time
    - It is still working with the Snapdragon 835 which is to be replaced with the 845 hopefully arriving to the OP6.
    So, which option do you think is best? I'd really like to hear your opinions on this and hopefully I'll reach a conclusion :)

2. sfomin
    Nougat Dec 11, 2017

sfomin , Dec 11, 2017 :
    as of right now, you cant even watch netflix, amazon, google play in HD! wait...

3. jadecolour
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 11, 2017

OcularTuba, rphlfjrd, EdoOlli and 3 others like this.
  4. MarcioReis87
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 11, 2017

MarcioReis87 , Dec 11, 2017 :
    expect the op6 having a price tag of 600USD. if u think the op6 will cost 500 you will be mistaken. I've grabbed it now because this is the best year of flagships. next year, everything will be expensive.

krito007 likes this.
  5. lukaash
    Eclair Dec 11, 2017

bi adam, Naviin R and beastkay like this.
  6. Aevangelist
    Eclair Dec 11, 2017

7. F_Wassim_Al_ihal
    Gingerbread Dec 11, 2017

F_Wassim_Al_ihal , Dec 11, 2017 :
    don't buy at all. buy Samsung Galaxy X or whatever. don't trouble us with such posts, instead check Google and YouTube for reviews

WorldzFynest likes this.
  8. hotsauce
    Lollipop Dec 11, 2017

hotsauce , Dec 11, 2017 :
    Your best bet is to buy the OP5t now, then when Oneplus 6 comes out, sell your OP5t and buy the OP6.

agoinfly likes this.
  9. Peketr
    Gingerbread Dec 11, 2017

Peketr , Dec 11, 2017 :
    Want a great phone right now? Buy the 5T.

Can wait, and gamble, that you'll be able to afford the 6? Then wait (BTW IMO this isn't the better choice as if you are worried about the whole 835/845 thing you will never be satisfied)

luxuskamel, nilz22, EdoOlli and 2 others like this.
  10. GuitarBart
    Jelly Bean Dec 11, 2017

GuitarBart , Dec 11, 2017 :
    Depends on how long you want to go with the old phone setup. The 5t is a great phone and for the normal user the difference between the 835 and 845 (day to day use) will be minimal. Have you checked out the student discount option?

omarmawal and tofylion like this.
  11. Achintya.
    Honeycomb Dec 11, 2017

Achintya. , Dec 11, 2017 :
    IMO, the OnePlus 5T is future-proof. It has the right specs, good camera, great display and it's just overall going to last you over 2 years before it starts falling behind other future devices.

omarmawal and tofylion like this.
  12. tofylion
    Froyo Dec 11, 2017

tofylion , Dec 11, 2017 :
    So far, I've received most input on getting the 5T now. I'll wait a little longer and see what other people can say about this.
    For the people telling me to stop troubling and to watch YouTube and stuff, I've already done that and wanted to ask for personal preference. Like if you were in this situation, what would you do.

Abhi Dahiya likes this.
  13. Kosta0215
    Froyo Dec 11, 2017

Kosta0215 , Dec 11, 2017 :
    I have an "old" OP3 and still love it. The battery's still holding up, and it's still running well. I run the Android 8 Beta.

I do like the OP5T but I'm not buying it because it's not gonna have Android 8 and Project Treble support right-out-of-the- box.

Don't let that dissuade you from buying an OP5T (or even one of the earlier models from the 3-on) though. Those factors may or may not be important to you. If your current phone is on its last legs, the choice may be easy! And I don't think you'd be disappointed!

I also think that all models since the OP3 have been incremental improvements - nice but not enough to compel me to spend the money yet. I'll bet next year's will cinch it for me!

Good luck!

14. [GG]
    Jelly Bean Dec 12, 2017

[GG] , Dec 12, 2017 :
    Don't base your decision on the sd 835 vs 845, the difference will be minimal and hardly noticeable. Phones today with the sd 835 are plenty fast and efficient and no one knows exactly what the OP 6 will be like when it's released. I would get the 5T now and sell it if you must have the 6 when it comes out.
    Good luck.

Kosta0215, omarmawal, Peketr and 2 others like this.
  15. EcoVB
    Honeycomb Dec 12, 2017

EcoVB , Dec 12, 2017 :
    And no project Treble support...which the 6 will hopefully have.
    Otherwise there will be many other promising devices! :)

Kosta0215 likes this.
  16. meatandy
    Oreo Dec 12, 2017

meatandy , Dec 12, 2017 :
    If you could hold on for another seven months ,then by all means wait .

tofylion likes this.
  17. EcoVB
    Honeycomb Dec 12, 2017

EcoVB , Dec 12, 2017 :
    Sure the Snapdragon 845 won't be anything new!
    You obviusly haven't read much about this little beast yet! xD

18. [GG]
    Jelly Bean Dec 12, 2017

19. EcoVB
    Honeycomb Dec 12, 2017

EcoVB , Dec 12, 2017 :
    Yeah, or try it with a budgetphone, since your standards are currently not very high, basically any Huawei or Honor (I would pick honor!) or Xiaomi device will impress you!^^

20. tofylion
    Froyo Dec 12, 2017

tofylion , Dec 12, 2017 :
    That's the thing! I don't want a phone that's just like the ones I had before. That's why I looked at OnePlus in the first place.