[Wake-up Call] Its.Leandroo: The disappointing state of OxygenOS (and apps)

1. Its.Leandroo
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Apr 2, 2021

Its.Leandroo , Apr 2, 2021 :
    I salute you for your... uuhh... dedication. :p

2. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 Apr 2, 2021

Mr. BG , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Repetitive, useless response

Reported :rolleyes:

3. TheAyushJain , via OnePlus Community App , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Beautiful written piece , I have been feeling the same about Oxygen OS 11
    But I guess since this in off - topic , nobody is gonna bat an eye towards the issues OOS has :/

Hopefully OOS 12 redeeems itself

4. sfomin
    Nougat Apr 2, 2021

sfomin , Apr 2, 2021 :
    :D

:rolleyes: It's about people, it's never about stuff..

5. derLenno

derLenno , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Community Hero 2020

6. Its.Leandroo

Unfortunately there's no proper General section, at least not that I could see in the list. :oops:

7. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 Apr 2, 2021

8. derLenno

derLenno , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Let's not forget that OnePlus are actively blacklisting 3rd party camera apps from being used properly on their phones.
    Not only do they not optimize their devices for GCam - which is 100% understandable - no. They also go out of their way to make sure that people cannot make the most out of their 1000+$ phones.

Edit: Outdated information. Sorry.

OnePlus kinda feels like Red Bull right now. A marketing company at its core with production and product development outsourced or ignored. Sad, but at least the marketing is cool.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021

avil25, manuel19, luxuskamel and 7 others like this.
  9. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Apr 2, 2021

Cheetosdust , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Indeed, sometimes exiting a call, for example, makes that sweet LTPO 2.0 kick-in: as in, the performance is so bad, the screen shows that 1Hz and 1 frame per second adventure. :p :oops:

10. Shailender Sharma
    Marshmallow Apr 2, 2021

Shailender Sharma , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Very well written thread. Thank you. :)

A 4 years old article here for reference -
    "The ugly truth behind Android's upgrade problem"
    The underlying problem with Android upgrades isn't anything technical. It's the fact that the companies making and selling Android phones have no real motivation to care about high-quality post-sales support and to make timely, ongoing upgrades a priority.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3175067/android-upgrade-problem.html

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3176516/android-upgrade-problem-answer.html

script, manuel19, KaranRIyer and 6 others like this.
  11. Its.Leandroo

Sounds like a feature! No upgrade needed to get the latest hardw- uh nevermind. :p

12. Its.Leandroo

The sad part is that, 4 years later, it still holds true. Except for the fact that instead of doing nothing at all... they pretend they do everything, and still no nothing.

Okay "nothing" is a bit too far.

13. J1615493696774
    Eclair Apr 2, 2021

J1615493696774 , Apr 2, 2021 :
    I've been trying to purchase the 9 Pro all week with no success. I always get "The SKU storage area is out of inventory" messages. I've contacted customer service several times and get the same answers. Try later. Try in 24 hours. Log out and log back. Clear your cache. Nothing works. This would have been my first One Plus phone.

However, your post combined with my ordering failures and the camera reviews have convinced me to stick with Samsung and get the S21 Ultra instead.

Dresa91 and Its.Leandroo like this.
  14. Shivang Joshi
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Apr 2, 2021

Shivang Joshi , Apr 2, 2021 :
    If you haven't already tried using the "regional" OxygenOS for India, try it for a month. You'll dislike it even more after that.

Adding to all that, you know how frustrating it is when you get a notification from OnePlus Roaming to buy the Roaming Packs in India while sitting inside the home? And OnePlus Roaming was supposed to be for International journeys - but I would get a notification to buy packs for my own country - while sitting inside my home for 12 months. Oh, and all this comes in when I haven't even accepted the Terms and Conditions for OnePlus Roaming app. Now, that's brilliant.

15. SamuraiTronVC , via OnePlus Community App , Apr 2, 2021 :
    I agree on each point, OnePlus has the potential, it's just like the management is ignoring the software part of the devices completely, they just care bout what and how they can market. Also they have been removing some of the software features people like and use. Like DC Dimming, OnePlus Navigation Gestures, Reachability/One hand mode(wouldn't have to make a controversial design change if they just had kept that mode) etc.

luxuskamel, B_Wrath, Dresa91 and 2 others like this.
  16. Its.Leandroo

That's completely understandable. I would do the same thing if I was in your shoes.

Enjoy the S21U :D

Bobbie63, Dresa91 and Starcommander like this.
  17. Shailender Sharma
    Marshmallow Apr 2, 2021

True!
    The OnePlus Roaming notification pops now & then.

18. Its.Leandroo

I don't want to feel like I live in hell, trying that build. Thanks...

I almost forgot about OnePlus Roaming. It was there on the OnePlus 6 for me on Beta, but it wasn't useful for me. A few megabytes for 5 bucks when I already get 20gb from my carrier is uh... not so attractive.

manuel19, luxuskamel, B_Wrath and 4 others like this.
  19. Its.Leandroo

I didn't want to put management front and center, but you're not wrong either.

DC Dimming is still under Laboratory for me, no idea if that's still the case for other devices.

manuel19, luxuskamel, Dresa91 and 2 others like this.
  20. Shailender Sharma
    Marshmallow Apr 2, 2021

Minting money by selling devices is a way to easy then devoting precious resources on software upgrades & bug hunting.

That's the only logical explanation available. ;)

21. SamuraiTronVC , via OnePlus Community App , Apr 2, 2021 :
    I think OnePlus has forgotten that brand loyalty is the best way of marketting, loyalty comes from reliability. You gotta give 50-50 focus on hardware and software. No matter what you do, don't decrease focus percent on software side, that's gonna lower reliability, that's gonna lower loyalty, and that's how you become like the million other brands in the market.