[Wake-up Call] Its.Leandroo: The disappointing state of OxygenOS (and apps)

1. the_o2
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Apr 2, 2021

the_o2 , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Let's people get frustrated with Oxygen OS so that they can see Colour OS as better replacement : Conspiracy Theorists.

Just Kidding.

Very well written mate, the typos was even with change log itself of 8T.
    It is really frustrating to see stable version looks like a closed beta version.
    And completely agree with you, security patches should be delivered on time, I don't see any points of having Project Treble and A/B partitions if the updates coming late as a normal user perspective.

Don't forget the Work life Balance :rolleyes::sweatsmile:

2. Its.Leandroo
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Apr 2, 2021

Its.Leandroo , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Pretty accurate. A/B also helps to cut down on the time you waste while updating, so there's that.

But sending out security patches monthly (even with the amount of devices OnePlus has) isn't that much work when management is willing to let the team do so. And it gives a consistent flow of updates where additional fixes and improvements can be included to when ready.

Currently it feels like security patches are waiting on features to be ready, which is wrong on many levels.

3. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Apr 2, 2021

Dresa91 , Apr 2, 2021 :
    thank you @Its.Leandroo :)
    nothing more to add or say,..
    OnePlus wants to be THE flagship... THE android phone.... better than the rest,...
    You can't tell from the OS and the OnePlus apps...
    Make OxygenOS great again!
    let me tag some people: @David Y. and @Gary C. @Manu J. :rolleyes:

4. Tobikage
    Nougat Apr 2, 2021

5. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Apr 2, 2021

Bobbie63 , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Thanks for the insight of a developer’s point of view. What you just wrote has been on some peoples mind in one way or the other for quite a while I think. The things you mentioned are going on for quite a while now and don’t seem to improve. I’m afraid that the problems are bigger though as I noticed that they are almost structural. I don’t know anything about the OnePlus Organisation and how things are structured and organised nor do I know what the OnePlus policy is but just my interpretation of what I read here on the different forums, is that there is something structurally wrong.

Maybe you want to shed a light on what your thoughts are about that?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021

6. Its.Leandroo

7. SJBoss
    Lollipop Apr 2, 2021

SJBoss , Apr 2, 2021 :
    It was never a small company, why people keep forgetting that. Another example of how great of a salesman @Carl is. Right? @theshinybeast
    But... But... MKBHD said otherwise :rolleyes:
    The only thing that'll change with 12 is the name to Color OS.
    Here's the thing, for some weird reasons OOS open beta is always better and stable than "stable" OOS. Switch to stable build and you'll know
    Soon™
    And always will be.
    But consistent, unlike OnePlus :rolleyes:
    Whatever happened to Developer friendly?
    Accept the terms and conditions to get the notification more frequently :rolleyes:

@dsmonteiro @Crystal Z. I request admin participation in this thread.

It's well put, detailed, and in the best interest of users and company Alike.

8. B_Wrath
    Nougat Apr 2, 2021

B_Wrath , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Well mate. You have touched upon a topic which has been quite controversial for quite a long time.
    I have been pretty vocal about the F ups in the OS.

I guess someone would have already mentioned the Indian version OS. It is a nightmare! So many bloats in built. And they just don't remain a bloat, they cause further issues in the general functioning.

I'm any case, these threads have popped up a plenty. They don't give a damn about all our feedback as long as they keep implementing idiotic ideas of so called "ambassadors" and "influencers", who unfortunately are the only community they care about.

9. Daan_Eekhofアニメ
    Jelly Bean Apr 2, 2021

Daan_Eekhofアニメ , Apr 2, 2021 :
    @derLenno what kind of feedback have you been giving them 👀

10. Its.Leandroo

Yes, I wanted to write this thread last year, but I was giving them a chance to make OxygenOS 11 feel more mature. It still feels like a developer preview to me, one year later.

I don't want to say too much about that, purely out of respect towards those staff that work their asses off and actually care.

What I can say is that you're not wrong. From what I noticed while working with them since the PMChallenge, is that there's quite a lot of redundancy as well as improper allocation of resources. One example being the constant switch of priorities with regards to which bug or feature needs to be finished first.

I'm very well aware that management is difficult (I'm in a management position as well these days), though what's going on here has a lot to do with having the priorities on short term grow, rather than long term customer retention.

11. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Apr 2, 2021

dsmonteiro , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Thanks for the ping. @Cheetosdust was kind enough to raise my attention to this thread shortly after it went live and I've already shared it internally.

I don't know if there's a lot that can be said, though. @Its.Leandroo shared valuable feedback, but anything that is said here will sound apologetic. As @David Y. said in his thread, some of the things mentioned here are already under internal discussion.

12. camohan
    Moderator Moderator Apr 2, 2021

camohan , Apr 2, 2021 :
    A very valid thread. I hope something productive comes out of this discussion resulting in a WIN-WIN for both users and OnePlus.

I also wish the thread remains limited to discussion on OxygenOS and related topics, instead of wasting a highly useful topic into usual bashing and bickering OnePlus. There are already specific threads for that. :rolleyes:;)

13. B_Wrath
    Nougat Apr 2, 2021

B_Wrath , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Brand loyalty is a thing of the past.

It is way cheaper and easier to get revenues in my creating marketing hype than toiling in to bring brand loyalty.
    And in a market with so many players, brand loyalty is just a pipe dream, even for older companies like Samsung.
    I wonder if @Pete will pop out of the blue and reply in this thread:rolleyes:

14. McJader
    Marshmallow Apr 2, 2021

McJader , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Certainly seems the case, I would want to know why...

15. derLenno

derLenno , Apr 2, 2021 :
    I'm the one responsible for Bitmoji AOD and the buggy media player also stems from my wishlist 😅

16. Shailender Sharma
    Marshmallow Apr 2, 2021

17. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Apr 2, 2021

Bobbie63 , Apr 2, 2021 :
    I do understand you don’t want to say too much about that and I’m also sure staff is working off their asses. I wasn’t nor would talk about the efforts of the individual staff but more about OnePlus as an organisation and their policy.

Again, thanks for your insights and I fully agree.

manuel19, luxuskamel, Dresa91 and 4 others like this.
  18. SJBoss
    Lollipop Apr 2, 2021

SJBoss , Apr 2, 2021 :
    I wonder what makes you feel like that? Isn't this the sole purpose of this platform? If anything it'd atleast help us to believe that atleast some of that PR statements made in smartphone launches and Social media posts are true.
    Or his assistant at least, what was his name again?

luxuskamel, Mr. BG, Dresa91 and 4 others like this.
  19. B_Wrath
    Nougat Apr 2, 2021

B_Wrath , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Screenshot_20210402-203232.jpg
    This UI inconsistency in the OP6/T. I have been reporting it for ages and no one bats an eye. But miraculously, it is fixed in the newer models.

20. Its.Leandroo

To be honest, I don't even know what the policies are. But I think those policies need to be reconsidered whether they are actually beneficial to the success of the company, not just financially, but also with regards to brand loyalty.