[Wake-up Call] Its.Leandroo: The disappointing state of OxygenOS (and apps)

1. Its.Leandroo
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Apr 2, 2021

Its.Leandroo , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Huh, OP6/T? They exist? :rolleyes:

manuel19, luxuskamel, SJBoss and 4 others like this.
  2. SJBoss
    Lollipop Apr 2, 2021

SJBoss , Apr 2, 2021 :
    For that you should have refrained from making an offtopic comment to start with. Be the change you want to see.(Or something like that philosophical BS :rolleyes:)

It's a feature. :rolleyes:

3. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Apr 2, 2021

Bobbie63 , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Having dealt with similar organisations on a professional base in the past, it could well be every department has it’s own policy, which changes as fast as staff does.
    I guess we have said enough about this, I hope the proper people will read your thread and try to take the proper action to improve on all levels.

All we can do is hope!

4. G_plusone
    Nougat Apr 2, 2021

G_plusone , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Even with the Incremental rollout the number of bugs on every New update is really disturbing to recommend a OnePlus to Anyone.
    I feel like the state of updates were better upto the 6 series. And it feels like downhill from there. With the Nords and R series they are increasing the number of devices and problems that come with them on an already strained staff from what I can see.

It's not that bugs can't creep in updates but the level at which OnePlus has now is unacceptable.
    That too with this bi monthly update cycle after more than 6 years after inception is not encouraging to the consumer at all.

Samsung which has a shit ton of devices is consistent now with their security patches and improved a lot in Android version updates too.
    Oneplus on the other is showing lackluster results

5. SJBoss
    Lollipop Apr 2, 2021

SJBoss , Apr 2, 2021 :
    So, there has been threads talking about
    1. The State of OnePlus CS support.
    2. The State of OOS Update Cycle.
    3. The State of over promising and under performing.
    4. The state of this forum in general (self promotion, Yes :rolleyes:)
    5. And now the part what OnePlus carry as a medal, what gave OnePlus bragging rights, the grounds people defend OnePlus on, and one of the key points to buy a OnePlus device. OOS.

What does that tell you?

This, and before anyone goes "OnePlus isn't that big blah blah blah" they just paid Hasselblad $150mn for "collaborating" on cameras.

6. derLenno

derLenno , Apr 2, 2021 :
    I've chatted a bit about this with Monteiro and he confirmed a lot of the things you said.
    These threads don't go unnoticed at all. however, it's a giant-a$$ company by now. Decisions can be slow, teams have to be coordinated and the business plan for the next couple of years won't change just because of 3 forum threads. It indeed is the same for every single company out there.

That being said. When OnePlus started, OnePlus were "too small to address all the issues", now they are "too big" to do the same. In the end, feels like nothing changes, regardless of the reasons.

So, while I absolutely understand that decisions take time and need to be coordinated with about every department in the company, I still feel that most of the issues are self-made and should not be there in the first place.

Little light of hope: It can be a bad thing for OnePlus to be as marketing driven as they are. This can make the loud, negative voices that have been risen over the past couple of months, heard. Because they actually interfere with the marketing strategy. Most issues aren't staying inside the Community app anymore.

Guess the verdict is be vocal, address issues, but stay fair?

7. KaranRIyer
    KitKat Apr 2, 2021

KaranRIyer , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Just reported a bug and from a recent activity read this.. lol.. Cant be a coincidence... Nice thread.. Yes its been this way for a while... idk why...

8. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 Apr 2, 2021

Mr. BG , Apr 2, 2021 :
    You are the Community manager.

You can attend "the powers that be" about the things that go on, as I'm sure you do, but that's it.

Don't apologise or excuse yourself already for sounding apologetic. There is no need for that ;)

Ahem... He who throws the first stone...:rolleyes:

:D

Don't, you're better than this...o_O

9. saikiran4ever
    Jelly Bean Apr 2, 2021

saikiran4ever , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Oneplus has been trying to become Oppo & Realme. Release bunch of phones every year with less software support & increase their revenue.
    To get always on display, users had to wait for years and it's still not there on many of its flagship phones.
    We can find plenty of such features on even low cost phones from samsung.
    Oneplus should stop working on releasing more phones and start working on making the best phones with the best software. People will buy their phones only then even if they are costly.

10. manuel19
    The Lab - OnePlus 8T Reviewer Apr 2, 2021

manuel19 , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Big agree on the 'questionable design choices'. I've also mentioned that in my lab review - the one handed usage can't really be called one handed usage. OOS11 is barely more one hand usable than OOS10 or any other. It's quite a joke, which is sad. If there'd at least be a system wide one-handed-mode, I could ignore that. Additionally the thing with shelf also annoys me a lot. Would really love if there would be other ways to use it again.

About the 'critical issues' point, where you linked that reddit post, afaik it's a change that's been made some time ago in aosp, to always call the local police's number, because they can contact the necessary services like firefighters or whatever as well. I remember people here in germany having such an issue as well, and found out it's part of aosp since google was requested to change that. Just to shine some light on this. But this doesn't mean oneplus' code is flawless.

11. SJBoss
    Lollipop Apr 2, 2021

SJBoss , Apr 2, 2021 :
    @derLenno @Bobbie63 @Its.Leandroo

I'd like to add this to the conversation you guys had

Smaller OEMs get things done if they want to (fairphone) and so does the bigger ones (Samsung) it's all about priorities. At OnePlus (OPLUS brands, more specifically) marketing and PR seems to be priority right now.

You guys might know OnePlus and OPPO "merged" their R&D teams officially. Their relationship with OPPO, Vivo and other brands under BBK affect more than we can think of, shared inventories shared R&D teams and even most of the heavy lifting is done by oppo. Now OnePlus likes to look and pose as a global brand but Oppo and Vivo primarily caters to a specific region. And as OPPO and Vivo are established and probably makes way more profit than OnePlus they're the priorities and OnePlus gets the leftovers of all kinds of resources. Shifting to Color OS in china is a big indication of just that. And the way they're transforming OOS into color OS lately I won't be surprised if the "Product managers" and "OS team" other staff members that visit here sometimes are Oppo first employees as well, I mean Pete himself holds position in Oppo.

So what does OnePlus has control of? Marketing.

And that's the problem, the hype machine going choo choo all year long, too dependant on marketing, A+ display certification, DxO mark rating, Hasselblad Branding we're doing first this we're doing first that

The Only thing OnePlus is in control of is ruining their image.

So does it mean we should sympathies with the Brand? Nope. Consumer pay what OnePlus asks for, They should get what they were promised.

12. derLenno

derLenno , Apr 2, 2021 :
    They basically run LineageOS and have far less pressure to deliver anything (smaller audience, more forgiving audience, less demanding audience, less tech savvy audience). They just arrived on Android 9. Which is a great achievement as their product now has 5 years (?) of updates. But it's not comparable.

Again, not comparable. While OnePlus are big, they are not "second biggest phone company and also sells a ton of stuff that isn't phones and they also sell military grade equipment" big. So comparing OnePlus and Samsung doesn't work either.

I think that that's where it ends. They are independent companies with independent finances, independent business plans etc. Just sharing knowledge and supplies to cut down cost. A recent post by David Y. said that they are co-creating, not just rebranding. I don't think it's still a connection where Oppo dictate the budget. OnePlus has emancipated and I guess that budget and deliverables are defined by the Oplus stakeholders/shareholders now.

Of course, I can be absolutely wrong here. But it wouldn't make sense - budget wise - for OnePlus to just rebrand and STILL have all the staff that goes beyond marketing & brand/PR.

Lol yeah - one could also see it as a "repositioning" kind of activity, but that doesn't make any sense. The niche for an expensive company that doesn't deliver is already held by HTC and Sony 😂

13. Nipu_1998
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Apr 2, 2021

Nipu_1998 , Apr 2, 2021 :
    From simple typo errors in the settings menu to whole device shutdowns and resets, Oxygen OS has lost its purity.
    Its high time for the company to go back to the basics like providing better stable, secure and timely updates. Updates are now a game of cycling between bugs ( fixing one and bringing another for the users to test and report).

14. SJBoss
    Lollipop Apr 2, 2021

SJBoss , Apr 2, 2021 :
    A simple research will tell you otherwise. But if you want to live in the delusion 🤷‍♂️ carry on.
    It wasn't a comparison it was just an example of determination. neither OnePlus has as low R&D budget as fairphone nor As much devices as Samsung to support.
    And yet their CEO is SVP at OPPO.

15. derLenno

derLenno , Apr 2, 2021 :
    I've never seen Pete as part of OnePlus to be honest...

Padhouke, G_plusone, Bobbie63 and 4 others like this.
  16. sfomin
    Nougat Apr 2, 2021

17. SJBoss
    Lollipop Apr 2, 2021

SJBoss , Apr 2, 2021 :
    He's the CEO :rolleyes:
    "Pete Lau who started OnePlus to offer premium flagship smartphones at an affordable price has agreed to join Oppo once again in the capacity of a senior vice president and chief product experience officer at OPLUS."
    Source
    [EDIT]
    Also if CEO isn't the part of the brand, who is? What and who is OnePlus according to you?

18. McJader
    Lollipop Apr 2, 2021

19. sfomin
    Nougat Apr 2, 2021

sfomin , Apr 2, 2021 :
    it will be interesting to hear, if it comes out, that Nothing is part of BBK and that was the ultimate plan :rolleyes:

20. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Apr 2, 2021