[Wake-up Call] Its.Leandroo: The disappointing state of OxygenOS (and apps)

1. sweggitity
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 5, 2021

sweggitity , Apr 5, 2021 :
    OnePlus isn't the OnePlus we used to know, they went full on business oriented, all they care about is profit now rather than customer satisfaction and quality. I have been really disappointed to see how the company is heading now, but people are still buying their phones, as people are feeding into the frenzy. I read it somewhere, they made more sells of 9series compared to 8series. People are buying into the hype and those gimmick marketing is working.

2. KuroYami
    Gingerbread Apr 5, 2021

KuroYami , Apr 5, 2021 :
    so true, those are mostly the reason why i ditched oxygen os and flashed an android 11 custom rom.

i know mine is just an old oneplus 6t, but why can't devs just release a monthly security patch? i really don't mind using android 10 oxygen os if they released security patches monthly, and i don't need all those fancy new features.

also, tbh, the reason i chose oneplus is because of their simplicity, near vanilla android, and without those fancy features. now the reason to stay using oneplus is gone. i might as well just choose samsung if i wanted to try out fancy features, but for now google pixel is my primary choice, monthly security update + vanilla + fast update, that's all i want.

after oneplus 6t, where oneplus started releasing more than 2 phones per year, is when oneplus starting to decline. they just looking for more profit, forgetting what actual users want. oh yes, if some of you don't know, China is now using Color OS for oneplus 9, cuz there's actually no difference with the new oxygen os anymore.

sweggitity likes this.
  3. sweggitity
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 5, 2021

sweggitity , Apr 5, 2021 :
    The most ironic thing is, my OnePlus 5T is running more smoothly on a custom beta Android 11, compared to Stock Oxygen OS 10.0.1, couldn't even imagine a custom ROM is more stable than Oxygen OS.

KuroYami likes this.
  4. sumitMZ007
    Jelly Bean Apr 5, 2021

sumitMZ007 , via OnePlus 6 , Apr 5, 2021 :
    Instead of putting 150m on namesake camera improvement with hasselblad! without hasseblad ,even if OnePlus said we've improved our cameras this time I could have believed that.OnePlus should have put efforts in software, security patches, timely updates,bugs . I haven't updated to latest OTA update for my device and I'm still on 10.3.5 to avoid bugs and crashes and other serious issues!

5. morphvale
    Froyo Apr 5, 2021

morphvale , Apr 5, 2021 :
    Good read here, and totally agree with it. Especially the quality control part.
    But I think one thing is missing, and for me, this is the biggest elephant in the room right now: fragmentation.

We have devices where Google feed is enabled, devices where it isn't. We have devices that come with Google Communication Suite, and devices that don't. Devices that come with Facebook apps, and devices that don't. Devices that have AOD, but devices that don't.

Have there been any two devices on the same version of OOS, ever? What's the reason for them not being on the same, or at least minor incremental versions? Don't say hardware, device trees and kernel trees easily take care of that.

To me, It looks that rather than having a unified development channel for all devices, with some sort of feature flags to control which functionalities are enabled for which devices, every device has its own forked development branch. With a team of maybe a handful of people working on it. So new features and functionalities are probably cherry-picked between branches when they are deemed ready (I really wonder what the definition of ready is for OP?), which increases workload and is more error prone. Also, that looks like the reason why they're never on the same security patch.

Testing wise, it's unbelievable to me how two betas and a stable can deliver a broken camera for the 7T. Furthermore, no official communication on the issue, no tentative timeline on when this could be fixed. I get it, they don't provide timelines, but when the most basic functionality in a phone is broken, and it's not for a handful of people only, these things should be publicly addressed and fixed ASAP. Similar there was the SMS issue, for which at least they published the app to the Play Store to fix it, and then retracted it.

However, these sort of basic functionality, like SMS and Camera, should not really escape the testing phases. There's a closed beta test channel. A public beta test channel. I would assume an internal beta test channel. How does a broken camera escape all these to a so called stable?

6. Its.Leandroo
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Apr 5, 2021

Its.Leandroo , Apr 5, 2021 :
    Fragmentation is indeed a big problem, not sure why I didn't think about it when writing the thread.

You're right, apart from similarly looking changelogs between the 8 and 8 Pro lately, I can't think of a moment when devices had the same version of the software.

On top of that, not only does system functionality vary (I can understand that camera stuff varies), but individual apps are different as well, down to the version number.

If I remember correctly, some devices share the same development branch, but I don't think that should be needed when you have Treble. I might be wrong though.

7. morphvale
    Froyo Apr 5, 2021

morphvale , Apr 5, 2021 :
    I wouldn't say it's needed, just that it eases work by a lot, it should from my point of view reduce workload, duplicate issues, maybe even reduce testing.

If I look at some of the issues reported by the 8/T users and the ones reported by the 7/T users, they are quite common. Wifi issues, Warp charge slow, battery stats not resetting when hitting 90% charge, etc. Now some of them are fixed on 8/T but not on 7/T.

Imagine LOS, with 60+ devices right now, and having to maintain 60+ forks of the LOS branch. You don't have that, there's a main branch (let's not call it master, I've heard that's not really nice anymore?) and then a device tree and a kernel tree for every device. Maybe a shared device tree, for those that have the same SOC. Now all maintainers can bring feature to their devices by enabling the feature flags for the specific feature they want to bring up.

I know, I know, LOS and OOS are different, but I see no reason why the workflow between them should be any different, especially when it's a proven one for years and years already.

I haven't looked at the OOS kernel on Github in years, but I remember during the OP3 days they were releasing version to version updates as a single commit. Tens and hundreds of changes per device kernel within a single commit. I wonder if their code base looks the same internally, between OOS versions, that would explain a lot..

Its.Leandroo, Dresa91 and McJader like this.
  8. Its.Leandroo
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Apr 5, 2021

Its.Leandroo , Apr 5, 2021 :
    Well, there's clearly something wrong when a group of developers maintaining Lineage OS (or any other ROM for that matter) manages to update the devices they support at least monthly, sometimes weekly.

And yes, I am aware that ROMs have their own fair share of issues, but it still makes me question OnePlus' abilities to efficiently work on OxygenOS. I wasn't aware about the commits for the 3/3T times, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's still the case in one way or another, looking at the types of issues and the time it takes to make a patch available.

morphvale, McJader and Dresa91 like this.
  9. AndroidManiac
    Honeycomb Apr 6, 2021

AndroidManiac , via OnePlus 7T , Apr 6, 2021 :
    Well written OP and thanks for putting into words here what I only wish I could convey so well.

As for OS12 - I for one won't be here for that if OS11 don't get off the ground and running correctly and it better be soon. I for one am very frustrated with the encryption (for TWRP) not solved with OOS11. But, buyer be ware... thanks

Its.Leandroo likes this.
  10. Mr.saify
    Eclair Apr 6, 2021

Mr.saify , Apr 6, 2021 :
    This is so true. OnePlus has seriously lost its way. Today's OnePlus attitude as distinctly different from Enthusiast OnePlus.
    It's time to ditch OnePlus. No longer a fan.

Its.Leandroo likes this.
  11. Archit@123
    Honeycomb Apr 6, 2021

Archit@123 , via OnePlus 6T , Apr 6, 2021 :
    1617729723760.jpg
    If this thread and issues are being monitored please do consider this bug already reported in feedback and no one listen. 1 year and still not fixed

12. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 Apr 6, 2021

Mr. BG , Apr 6, 2021 :
    I'm afraid it's not.

And Oneplus 6 is not on top of the priority list.

McJader likes this.
  13. AndroidManiac
    Honeycomb Apr 6, 2021

And I'm good the exact point of the OP is that I'm fine if OOS10 is sable buy I want my security and that will ultimately decide which side of the brand fence I'm on. Still on January security patch!!! Yeah I'm almost outraged on this single issue. And economically if I could I would ditch this device now... And get a Samsung I think...

Mr.saify likes this.
  14. AndroidManiac
    Honeycomb Apr 6, 2021

When they stop being fans of their customers then their customers stop being fans of the brand.

15. Archit@123
    Honeycomb Apr 6, 2021

Archit@123 , via OnePlus 6T , Apr 6, 2021 :
    Oxygen OS is changing to carbon dioxide OS.

Mr.saify and AndroidManiac like this.
  16. AndroidManiac
    Honeycomb Apr 6, 2021