Wanted to buy oneplus 5t. Frustrated with support and the student discount policy.

?

Do you find this fair from a customer's perspective?

1. Yes

33.3%
  2. No

66.7%
  1. nmargaritis
    Gingerbread Nov 30, 2017

nmargaritis , Nov 30, 2017 :
    Hi, I am a MSc student at the University of Sheffield. I have only my thesis pending so I no longer live in the UK. I am eligible for the 10% discount and I also verified the code and I have it in my oneplus account. I tried to place an order, I noticed that I can only deliver to the UK, however I am not currently living there, so I thought oneplus support will be able to solve this for me.

I used live chat; explained the situation and just asked for a shipping location to a country that oneplus already ships in and is in the EU (Greece). I was effectively turned down cause of the protocol and they suggested me to find a friend in the UK; send it there and have them reship the item to me if the discount is important to me.

So I just wanted to point out that this is frustrating and they showed zero understanding towards the situation. I am a verified and eligible student, just happens not to be in the UK for the next 4 months. I can not believe that other students can not find themselves in similar situations. There are transfer programs, internships etc etc scenarios. Support told me that they have this issue for the first time.

Any thoughts on this case from the community are welcomed or any official response from oneplus support.

I truly wanted to buy the phone but after this I am reconsidering cause I did not expect to be turned down like that although I am a verified and eligible student.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017

idemelis and G_dimitra_ma_VizU like this.
  2. nmargaritis
    Gingerbread Nov 30, 2017

I also forgot to mention that my old phone died so I was looking to do a quick purchase so I cant wait 4 months until I go back to the UK.

G_dimitra_ma_VizU likes this.
  3. G_dimitra_ma_VizU
    Cupcake Nov 30, 2017

G_dimitra_ma_VizU , Nov 30, 2017 :
    I have the same concern/problem. I am also living abroad currently although I am a UK student. I would like to know how one plus can support us.

4. mFigz
    Eclair Nov 30, 2017

mFigz , Nov 30, 2017 :
    Sounds like you guys are rattled you couldn't take advantage of a discount that technically doesn't apply to you in the first place..it's a discount for residents of the UK, if you don't reside there, don't expect a discount. Pretty simple folks.

5. nmargaritis
    Gingerbread Nov 30, 2017

Hi mfigz, thanks for replying but the offer was for UK students and I claimed it successfully. I happen not to be in the UK for the next 3-4 months. It was not mentioned that I have to be a resident of the UK (this is a shipping problem). I am not trying to request something that I am not entitled to, I just wanted to figure a solution out. I would expect the company to help in this, since the coupon anyhow can be used only once. Effectively that does not add extra cost for oneplus. All phones ship from Poland it's the same thing for them, but not the same thing for a student.

mFigz likes this.
  6. mFigz
    Eclair Nov 30, 2017

mFigz , Nov 30, 2017 :
    Ahhhhh then yeah, you're in the right. That's pretty naive of them to, what it seems like, think that only UK students that actually live there would want to take advantage of that deal lol and asking if it could be shipped to a friend's house and then shipping it to you seems counterproductive. I wouldn't settle for that (pun intended) Best of luck m8 and I hope they can resolve that.

nmargaritis likes this.
  7. Zenneth
    Donut Nov 30, 2017

Zenneth , Nov 30, 2017 :
    OnePlus has stated that when you order your device, make sure you choose the same country that the device will be shipped to. I was actually going to order from the US site and have it delivered to Canada before I read their statement.

If you haven't used your student discount code yet then just try switching the country, log in to the same account (account details remain the same regardless of country), and then order it. Of course, this will change the pricing so be aware of that.

To be honest, this is YOUR inconvenience and I don't think it's right of you to expect OnePlus to help you with this issue.

8. ntg22
    Donut Nov 30, 2017

ntg22 , Nov 30, 2017 :
    You probably already tried this but can't you use the student discount code when you order from the Greek store?

9. nmargaritis
    Gingerbread Nov 30, 2017

10. nmargaritis
    Gingerbread Dec 1, 2017

nmargaritis , Dec 1, 2017 :
    Hello I contacted support again today because they said that they will see what they can do internally and come back. Got this back.

I am writing this message an an epilogue. Disappointing to say the least. I do not have a major problem for the 50 bucks but if I do purchase the phone I will reward a policy and a non-existing support, that I shouldn't. Plus it looks like a fraud, you either offer a discount for UK students or not, UK students are not 100% of the time in the UK so you must allow them to ship elsewhere. So unless something major occurs I will not be buying oneplus cause of the overall handling of the case and just because I believe that any other major company would have solved the issue in less than 10 minutes.

Thanks for your overall input guys and have a great day.