[WARNING] Chinese model & shady dealers

1. AeshmA
    Jelly Bean Jun 10, 2014

AeshmA , Jun 10, 2014 :
    There has been lots of threads and postings about OnePlus One resellers and Chinese model, many of you propably has seen links leading to retailers that claim to have One in stock, some of you have maybe even thought of buying it from those sites, but maybe you should read this first.

I’ve been trying to warn people every time I stumble upon one of those threads, but I wanted to make an informative thread concerning those shady unofficial dealers and how Chinese model differs from international model which we all are waiting here.

OnePlus official announcement: 5 Reasons to Not Buy the OnePlus One from Scalpers

OnePlus currently sells One through their official Chinese website and two official partners (Yixun.com & ******) which are not listed on that gizchina article people tend to link everywhere.
    International model can be bought only directly from OnePlus website.

Beware those unofficial resellers, they may promise you things, but they might not deliver their promises, you’ve been warned.
    I'm not going to list them here, if the link you may find leads to other site than those mentioned above, then it's not official retailer.
    There can also be additional taxes, customs or postage fees when buying from unofficial sites (or from official retailers overseas).

Also those 'scalpers' tend to offer Chinese model instead of international one, this can be confirmed by few ways:
    • If they have images of the device, there should be Cyanogen text and logo on the back cover of international model
    • If they have images of the boxes and there’s mention of TD-SCDMA or TD-LTE on the back (example) it means that it’s a Chinese model
    • It has ColorOS installed on it or mention of Android 4.3 (international model ships with 4.4.2)
    • Chinese model can have different colour+capacity configurations, international model has 16GB only in white and 64GB only in black.
    Always question the seller if they don't have images of the devices/boxes, even if they claim that the phone has Cyanogenmod 11S, it's propably just flashed on it.

Chinese model has limited functionality in N-America (no LTE and partial WCDMA functionality)
    Chinese model can be used in Europe (it has mostly used bands, both versions lack LTE 20/800MHz)

Here's a breakdown of supported bands between international (INT) and Chinese (CHI) OnePlus One models, I only included LTE-FDD bands since we 'westerners' don't mind those TD-LTE bands.
    Bands for international model taken from INT specifications page and for Chinese model from CHI specifications page.
    bands_int-chi.jpg
    Chinese model is missing WCDMA band 4 (1700MHz) and LTE-FDD bands 4 (1700MHz) & 17 (700MHz) which all are used in N-America.

Notes for N-American users:
    I'm not suggesting that anyone should buy the Chinese model even when it could work with your carrier.
    I'm strongly against scalpers trying to make money now when the phone is on high demand.

Please don't link unofficial sites to this thread, all current official retailers are listed above, thank you.

Something missing? Please let me know so I can add it.
    Edit1: Added official partners, corrected few errors with formatting
    Edit2: Minor additions to sources and modifications to band chart
    Edit3: Added T-Mobile user story with Chinese model
    Edit4: Some additions & corrections (had even one Finnish word there)
    Edit5: Added 1+ official announcement

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014

2. Jelleko
    Froyo Jun 10, 2014

Jelleko , Jun 10, 2014 :
    Thanks for the info! I guess we should al just patiently wait and refresh our mail inbox very 2 minutes hoping for an invite :)

nano_ and AeshmA like this.
  3. kkr143
    Gingerbread Jun 10, 2014

ZdecydowanieTy likes this.
  4. Rytyshy
    Honeycomb Jun 10, 2014

Rytyshy , Jun 10, 2014 :
    Nice work, good to see the bands broken out like that.

AeshmA likes this.
  5. saprisnake
    Honeycomb Jun 10, 2014

saprisnake , Jun 10, 2014 :
    thanks for the info bro.
    according to the band info of the Chinese version it can be used in my country. I'm thinking seriously on getting one.

6. AeshmA
    Jelly Bean Jun 10, 2014

AeshmA , Jun 10, 2014 :
    You're welcome! :)
    Let's hope that those invites come sooner than later.

Waiting isn't fun, but I think we should wait patiently if we want to make sure that we don't get scammed and/or that scalpers don't get huge profits on these.

Thanks, I did my research already couple days ago (at 02:00 am :D) but wanted to make more informative package out of it.

If you're considering it, then you should buy it from official resellers.

OnePlus' official website is one and ****** was another if I remember correctly, but someone could confirm these for me?

saprisnake likes this.
  7. saprisnake
    Honeycomb Jun 10, 2014

[/quote]If you're considering it, then you should buy it from official resellers.

OnePlus' official website is one and ****** was another if I remember correctly, but someone could confirm these for me?[/quote]

I'd love to know of some official resellers. for some reason am not able to access to OPO Chinese site and from JD I cant find the phone in stock

yz2go likes this.
  8. AeshmA
    Jelly Bean Jun 10, 2014

AeshmA , Jun 10, 2014 :
    I had to crawl through Google to find 'em, so here's the official resellers:
    1. OnePlus.cn
    2. Yixun.com
    3. ******
    I will add these to original post.

Edit: Major mess up with quoting

j3.johnson and saprisnake like this.
  9. saprisnake
    Honeycomb Jun 10, 2014

I had to crawl through Google to find 'em, so here's the official resellers:
    1. OnePlus.cn
    2. Yixun.com
    3. ******
    I will add these to original post.[/quote]

Thanks bro!
    Very helpful info.

10. chopchopw
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 10, 2014

chopchopw , Jun 10, 2014 :
    not nesscarilly high demand, more like low supply. it is the same thing with xiaomi. Apparently, xiaomi was working with the scalpers to drive up the price of their phones. let's hope opo doesnt go down that road

11. AeshmA
    Jelly Bean Jun 10, 2014

AeshmA , Jun 10, 2014 :
    Well we all know how much demand there is compared to supply at the moment :D
    They're selling it in weekly batches in China and they're gone in minutes and this international community goes nuts every time there's even a slight rumour of invites.

12. Paul Emico
    Honeycomb Jun 11, 2014

13. AeshmA
    Jelly Bean Jun 11, 2014

14. rupedog
    Froyo Jun 11, 2014

rupedog , Jun 11, 2014 :
    fantastic information. Thanks a lot. I guess if you live in the States and you don't care about LTE then this can be an option.

AeshmA likes this.
  15. jeanxito
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 11, 2014

AeshmA likes this.
  16. metconnect
    Gingerbread Jun 11, 2014

AeshmA likes this.
  17. AeshmA
    Jelly Bean Jun 11, 2014

AeshmA , Jun 11, 2014 :
    Yes it is viable option for European residents or N-Americans that don't need LTE (but resale value might be lower), but only official dealers are approved ;)

Thanks, much appreciated.

18. B5D
    Honeycomb Jun 11, 2014

B5D , Jun 11, 2014 :
    thanks for the post
    i want to order it NOW
    i don't care about the LTE and i'll flash CM11s
    so from where should i buy it (which site)??
    ...i have adress in china ...

19. AeshmA
    Jelly Bean Jun 11, 2014

AeshmA , Jun 11, 2014 :
    I've listed those 3 official retailers on first post and also in discussion, but here they are again:
    Only favour official retailers, not those unofficial or scalpers which charge extra and might even be scam.

20. KataRina
    Gingerbread Jun 11, 2014

KataRina , Jun 11, 2014 :
    Thank you ! About time someone posted something like that.
    I understand people don't like to wait but really? I doubt OPO had planed the latest delays. To bad it happened it's bad PR but then not everyone understands that.

AeshmA likes this.