Warning my OnePlus encrypted itself, locked me out. Anyone with this encryption problem? Solutions?

1. phabulousnyc
    Froyo Oct 27, 2014

phabulousnyc , Oct 27, 2014 :
    How would I back up the device if it is already encrypted?

2. phabulousnyc
    Froyo Oct 27, 2014

Let's go down the path that my phone was hacked with Avast already installed which didn't notice this hack. Maybe this occurred while access public wi-fi. Wouldn't someone have to know the layout or the code for the latest release of CyanoGen? Or this this version of Android?

Considering that I only access very mainstream websites and used the phone for less than 2 weeks, had Avast on in which said the night before it was protected. I tend to think it was not hacked but could have been as that is always a possibility.

For those that are knowledgeable in this area, how would one go about such a hack?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014

3. phabulousnyc
    Froyo Oct 27, 2014

Update:

To respond to others here. I am not the only one to have experienced this. (read below)

The phone is mine and I did not steal it. Please look at the # of posts I have made but more importantly the content of those posts as I believe in quality over quantity.

One other person in this thread said he had the same problem (cherrieccl) but when you view that persons profile, he/she has only made two posts which only concern this issue and is a new member. So I doubt seriously that this is a sincere post and MAY be someone trying to figure how to break into a stolen phone.

I did find this thread on the internet that others supposedly(phone could have been stolen as that possibility has been raised in this thread) had the same problem.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2749625

What is not clear from the thread above is whether those solutions will wipe out the data? Please let me know if you think it will. The last post in that thread asks this very question but noone has answered it.

Today, I submitted a ticket to Oneplus. Have been delayed due to work and my old phone works fine. I referred them to this thread. First, I will see what OnePlus's response is and what they recommend. They are the manufacturer after all. They did respond to my shipping problem in timely manner when I received the phone. If OnePlus's response is not suitable for recovering the data, I will try the solution above posted xda developers. Would appreciate any feedback on that proposed solution.

One concern I do have is that if I try the option above, and my phone was hacked, would I then make myself vulnerable by connecting to my desktop? I would think that I would.

While I can try to reset or root the phone(not sure they are they exact same but I think those terms are interchangeable. Are they? ), I want to try to recover my data. Nothing super important but stuff I would like to have and I am willing to take some time to figure this out. Besides, I would rather figure it out incase this is a " new feature of release 38" as one person humorously wrote here and I run into the problem again.

From what I have read here, every solution offered will wipe out existing data. Noone has commented differently. If I have misread or didn't understand properly, please could someone correct me in detail. I am a technical but this is my first android. Have used iOS before.

Thanks to following in the forum for giving feedback which I found helpful: @IWantOneNow @carbine30 @churroman @1ikhan @Aaahh @camelCaseD @monkeyboy @antbox @mhsarwar @AzJazz

4. phabulousnyc
    Froyo Oct 27, 2014

The issue has been raised that it takes quite a while for the phone to encrypt itself. How long is this process? Even if my phone was hacked, it would have to go through this process. It would also have to do this without me being aware of it. Generally, I turn the phone off at night when I go to sleep. I think only one night did I leave it on.

Let's say this is a hack then it is a very serious hack/vulnerability.

5. phabulousnyc
    Froyo Oct 28, 2014

phabulousnyc , Oct 28, 2014 :
    Further update: One of the symptoms is that the one is powered on, it asks for the password. If I do nothing, the phone stays on and a minute or two later starts making a tock sound. I wonder if anyone who has purposefully encrypted their phone that their phone makes this sound when the password is not entered in a timely fashion?

thanks

6. JuanITS
    Cupcake Oct 28, 2014

JuanITS , Oct 28, 2014 :
    It happened the same to my phone today. Im really disappointed with it, I've had it crashing with videos, the camera and other apps since I bought it and then this... It also happened to me right after a reboot.

7. phabulousnyc
    Froyo Oct 28, 2014

phabulousnyc , Oct 28, 2014 :
    Additional Update:

While asking the the password, the screen stays lit. I decided to run down the battery and see if recharging may do anything with regards to resetting. I know this had a small chance of succeeding. What I did notice is that the green light on the front of the phone (which I think means that the front facing camera is activated...is this correct?) is on while the phone is connected to a usb charger. I kept pulling out the charger and reinserting it....the green light would go on/off each time. This light could just mean that it is plugged into a power supply.

8. stonedog03
    Froyo Oct 28, 2014

stonedog03 , Oct 28, 2014 :
    Ok...so....The green light sounds like the charge indicator. It shows green for charged. Yellow for charging and red for "Oh crap, my battery is going to die." As to the factory reset: It SHOULD wipe the data partition (say good bye to your stuff), but I wouldn't bet the bank on that. It seems to depend on how your recovery app handles it. On the Nexus 5 I had with CyanogenMod and TWRP, I did a factory reset and it left pictures and what not on the data partition. YMMV.

9. cultiv
    Froyo Oct 28, 2014

cultiv , Oct 28, 2014 :
    Sorry for the late reply! To all to whom this is happening, please send me 8 bitcoin to get the password. Thanks!

10. cultiv
    Froyo Oct 28, 2014

11. dejavu88
    Froyo Oct 28, 2014

dejavu88 , Oct 28, 2014 :
    To be honest, it sounds a lot like ransomware. Have someone contacted you to give you the password to your private data if you send them money? :rolleyes:

12. Maxl
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 28, 2014

13. gradymcd
    Froyo Oct 28, 2014

gradymcd , Oct 28, 2014 :
    If you want to be able to use your phone again, you could probably flash CWM/TWRP via fastboot then wipe the partition.

14. Jibin Paul
    Gingerbread Oct 28, 2014

15. irishcoffee
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 29, 2014

irishcoffee , Oct 29, 2014 :
    Return the phone to its rightful owner. Lmao. ;)

16. phabulousnyc
    Froyo Oct 29, 2014

phabulousnyc , Oct 29, 2014 :
    Hello,
    I was thinking of that possibility but noone has contacted me. I have never connected the phone to my pc.

17. phabulousnyc
    Froyo Oct 29, 2014

phabulousnyc , Oct 29, 2014 :
    Wha
    @gradymcd thanks. Can you walk me through that a bit CWM/TWRP via fastboot? I am a total newbie to android and messing with mobile systems. From what you and the guides below say, I would think that first I would install Fastboot. Then CWM or TWRP and do a recovery from there. What that would entail, I would have to really get into the guides. Still waiting for Oneplus to get back to me on the on ticket I submitted. From what I read with TWRP(see link below for guide), it says it will wipe date but not videos etc.
    Wipe
    This section is dedicated to wiping all standard partitions on your Android device. By default, TWRP offers you to perform a full factory reset upon hitting Wipe, since it’s the most common form of wipe operation that most users need in recovery. This will wipe all your user data from the phone, including your installed apps, cache, and dalvik cache. This will not effect the internal or SD card storage area of your phone, meaning your documents, downloads, pictures, music, videos and other files will stay safe.​

Curious, I would have thought that "user data" includes things such as "documents, downloads, pictures, music, videos and other files will stay safe"???
    I really don't care about having to reload apps or phone #'s thought it would be nice not having to reload. It is the pictures that I took that I would like to preserve. Thanks again.

Guides and helpful information I found:
    I found this thread which compares on OnePlus that compares the recovery tools CWM/TWRP.
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/recovery-twrp-vs-cwm.72908/

this good intro guide to TWRP and how to use
    http://www.addictivetips.com/android/what-is-twrp-how-to-install-use-it-on-android-devices-guide/

this guide on settting up using Fastboot
    http://www.xda-developers.com/android/beginners-guide-on-how-to-setup-and-use-fastboot/
    http://www.androidcentral.com/android-z-what-fastboot

18. JuanITS
    Cupcake Oct 29, 2014

19. breeze
    Gingerbread Oct 29, 2014

20. gradymcd
    Froyo Oct 29, 2014