Warp Charge 30: An in-depth look at our fastest charging tech ever

1. Dale F.
    Copywriter Dec 13, 2018

Dale F. , Dec 13, 2018 :
    Earlier this week, we launched our most advanced device ever, the OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition. With 10 GB of RAM, Warp Charge 30 technology and exclusive McLaren-themed software, it’s a true salute to speed.

Here, we take a moment to explain Warp Charge 30 in more detail. Plus, we look at its history and answer a few questions you may have about this speedy new way to charge your OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition.

Warp Charge 30: What’s in a name?

At 30 watts, Warp Charge 30 is our fastest charging tech ever. In fact, it gives the OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition a day's power in just 20 minutes.

The reason behind the "30" part of the name is self-explanatory, so what about "Warp"? To answer that question, just think about science fiction. If you’re a fan of space movies, you can see why we chose this name to describe our ridiculously fast charging technology. Once those pilots punch the warp speed button, the universe flashes by in a blur.

How does it work?

Like Fast Charge, Warp Charge 30 can carry a larger current than regular fast charging solutions. Normally, the heat generated through charging is dissipated in the phone itself. This usually causes performance issues if the phone is being used while it’s being charged, leading to CPU and GPU speeds being throttled. By shifting the majority of the power management and heat dispersion to the Warp Charge 30 Adapter, however, very little heat ever reaches the phone. Charging speeds while gaming and other performance oriented tasks excel compared to other charging solutions. In the graphs below, you can see just how fast and powerful Warp Charge 30 really is.

Warp_ScreenOff_1.png

Warp_Gaming_1.png

How is the OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition able to handle the charger’s extra power?

The Warp Charge 30’ Power Adapter's power all goes to a single cell. The large amount of power it produces inevitably generates a large amount of heat. To overcome potential safety issues from overheating, our engineers altered the safety mechanisms of the OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition's battery assembly. They upgraded the components of the battery protection structure to allow for the larger current, and added an eight-layer protection board to the battery to provide more efficient cooling.

Is the Warp Charge 30 Power Adapter backwards compatible? Will it charge my phone faster?

The power adapter that comes with the OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition is backwards compatible with other OnePlus devices. However, when used with the OnePlus 3 through to the OnePlus 6T, the Warp Charge 30 Power Adapter will charge at regular Fast Charge speeds, not Warp Charge 30 speeds.

But if you’re picking up a OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition and already have a bunch of OnePlus Fast Charge Type-C cables, don’t worry. The regular OnePlus Fast Charge Type-C Cable is Warp Charge 30 compatible, meaning that it charges the OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition at Warp Charge 30 speeds when combined with the Warp Charge 30 Power Adapter.

At the same time, you can use your Fast Charge Power Adapter to charge your OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition, but it will charge at Fast Charge speeds only.

Share your own salute to speed

We hope you enjoyed reading this in-depth look at Warp Charge 30. But now, we want to hear from you. Have you picked up the OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition, or do you plan to? And if there’s anything we didn’t mention that you’re dying to know, share it with us below!

Never Settle.

2. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Dec 14, 2018

Cheetosdust , Dec 14, 2018 :
    Thank you for the useful information, @Dale F.

Hopefully this will help the members who had a few questions.

Here's a graph showing what happens when you plug the Warp Charger to a regular OnePlus 6T:

Screenshot_2018-12-14 (52) Is OnePlus WARP Charge Special - YouTube.png
    Courtesy of Mr. Dave Lee (it's a nice video).

3. rameshshreyas
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 14, 2018

rameshshreyas , Dec 14, 2018 :
    Interesting. But one question many of us are asking. Why wasn't this tech included in the regular 6T which was a month old?

4. GopalB.
    Nougat Dec 14, 2018

GopalB. , Dec 14, 2018 :
    This more or less answers why it won't work on previous phones...

Thanks for the thread @Dale F. ...

5. Moin2200
    KitKat Dec 14, 2018

6. youbi
    Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Dec 14, 2018

youbi , Dec 14, 2018 :
    Nice thread, the tech does look a nice bump of the previous solution. :)

The only thing missing now is a Star Trek special edition, because when you call it warp charge it looks a wedding waiting to happen. :D :p

[​IMG]

7. palc

dsmonteiro and Dale F. like this.
  8. YRJ
    Lollipop Dec 14, 2018

YRJ , Dec 14, 2018 :
    Once again, we'll composed explanation @Dale F.
    it can help curb the overflowing redundant threads.
    I'm wondering what you would do with the Porsche 6T ^_^
    Thanks [e]1f60a[/e]

EDIT: I would like to know about the measures you are taking to implement an even faster charging technology like ,Super Vooc.
    what are your views and what do you think are the limitations in implementing similar technology on OnePlus phones!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018

9. GeertBerkers
    Lollipop Dec 14, 2018

GeertBerkers , Dec 14, 2018 :
    Good information, hope those who buy never lose their charger since they cant buy another one.

10. Alvie
    The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Dec 14, 2018

Alvie , Dec 14, 2018 :
    Thanks :) this answers a lot of questions people have been asking!

11. jaivaghela

jaivaghela , Dec 14, 2018 :
    Nice one. Already ordered mine and looking forward to it. Any upgrades in charging is a big plus for me with my heavy usage.

12. luxuskamel
    Lollipop Dec 14, 2018

13. Liehjan
    Lollipop Dec 14, 2018

14. sethisidd
    Jelly Bean Dec 14, 2018

sethisidd , Dec 14, 2018 :
    Nice article. I have just one more query. Is there a dedicated hardware in McLaren Edition that makes it compatible to Wrap Charge 30?

15. the_o2
    Marshmallow Dec 14, 2018

the_o2 , Dec 14, 2018 :
    Thanks for this information.
    And this is the speed I actually need :D:D
    And hope this tech will come out of box with OP 7 :rolleyes::rolleyes:

16. Sargo

Sargo , Dec 14, 2018 :

17. sethisidd
    Jelly Bean Dec 14, 2018

18. gaster
    Lollipop Moderator Dec 14, 2018

gaster , Dec 14, 2018 :
    Thanks for this well detailed explanation Dale. Warp Charge is surely welcome and I hope we can see it in the next OnePlus devices as well. And maybe even stronger than 30 :)

19. DARTH 007
    KitKat Dec 14, 2018

DARTH 007 , Dec 14, 2018 :
    just read an article on gsmarena today where they compare all the features chargers in the market.
    the winner is vooc.
    thumb rule. higher the wattage,faster is the charging.
    doesn't matter whether it's oppo,OnePlus or Samsung.
    dash charger is 20w
    warp is 30 w.
    maybe future OnePlus devices are going to come with warp charge as standard.

20. narceoneplus2
    Honeycomb Dec 14, 2018

narceoneplus2 , Dec 14, 2018 :
    Although I absolutely, 100% agree with you, that is just how companies work, bro. This doesn't bother me much, though, because my OnePlus 3T and OnePlus 6T can still charge faster than the average device out there. I am good. In a couple of years, I'll just upgrade to the next "T" version of OnePlus and I will enjoy that one too. It's whatever.

OnePlus... KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!! Your true fans appreciate that you listen to us and that you indeed are pretty transparent as a company.