Warp Charge 30: An in-depth look at our fastest charging tech ever

1. f1982
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 14, 2018

f1982 , Dec 14, 2018 :
    I was expecting the Warp brand to be used when they rebranded OPPO SuperVooc which is 50W. (as we all know but for those who don't, Dash was re-branded OPPO Vooc which is 20W).

What seems really weird is they've got a half way upgrade inbetween the Vooc and SuperVooc with a 30W variant. And not only that, they've put 30 in the name.
    So yes it's great to see a little bump from 20 to 30...but why not use the already existing 50W SuperVooc we know is available and is assumed to be on the OP7?

I think the clue might be in the name Warp 30. If they intended to keep Warp at 30 for the foreseeable future they wouldn't have added the 30 to the name. I predict they did that specifically knowing they intend to put full Super Vooc (probably called Warp 50) on the OP7, and they needed a way to differentiate that from what's on the McLaren 30W phone.

But why go with just 30W when 50W is available? Because they want Warp 50 to be one of the big features of the OP7. So they've deliberately made a weaker version of super Vooc for the McLaren phone to give that a speed boost over the regular 6T, without making it a huge improvement which would annoy existing 6T owners, nor something that could take away any of the thunder from the OP7 launch with Warp 50 charging.

Pretty well played if you ask me.

2. f1982
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 14, 2018

f1982 , Dec 14, 2018 :
    Not quite.

Vooc/Dash 20W
    SuperVooc 50W
    Warp 30 30W
    Huawei Supercharge 50W

The two fastest around is from OPPO and Huawei. OPPO's is quicker at getting to 50%. Huawei's is slightly quicker at getting to 100%.

Here's hoping the OP7 launches with Oppo's Supervooc rebranded as Warp 50, and they don't keep that for the 7T, which would be a real shame because it will have been on the market over a year at that point already by the time the 7 is released.

Seagal_aikikai and Predict23 like this.
  3. VincentAbee
    Froyo Dec 14, 2018

VincentAbee , Dec 14, 2018 :
    Or they are playing even better and let the 7 have warp 40 and the 7t warp 50. So they can announced 2 times more "The charging speed is improved greatly!"

Abhi Dahiya likes this.
  4. GarageRamen
    Gingerbread Dec 14, 2018

Dale F. likes this.
  5. dalmia09
    Jelly Bean Dec 14, 2018

dalmia09 , Dec 14, 2018 :
    While I feel the same for the most part as you, I don't think they'll be moving to the 50W anytime soon. Time, effort and money would have been put into developing this 30W solution as well. And it doesn't quite make sense to make something new for a one-off limited edition product. Then there's the price factor as well. The bi-cell design and the different charger and phone hardware geared towards providing the 50W of power would not come in as cheap as this solution, would it? Not to mention the compatibility and inter-operability issues. In my opinion, they've effectively come up with a solution that they can implement in future devices at reasonable costs, while still providing better performance than the previous generation, helping it stay ahead of most of the competition, if not all, and all the while not losing much on the compatibility front.

While I would have really loved seeing them put the 50W charging for the next generation of products (you might even remember me being really vocal and going gaga about it!), which they might even do sometime in the future, I don't really see it happening in the OP 7. I hope that we can at least agree upon and appreciatively acknowledge the innovative mid-way solution that they've come up with, balancing price and performance and maintaining compatibility, even if this solution may not be the fastest in the world.

This is just my opinion.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018

6. riffraff81
    KitKat Dec 14, 2018

riffraff81 , Dec 14, 2018 :
    Sigh...

Matthew monez did a test with warp charge, dash charge, and fast charge with Huawei's mate 20 pro. The McLaren finished only a minute after the mate and the regular 6t finished a half hour afterward It's not a gimmick. 40 watts is faster than 30 watts which is faster than 20 watts

This a special edition variant that's a bit more than the top variant for the ram and the warp charge tech. It will probably in short supply like the thunder purple was. It's made for those who are enthusiasts. You be just fine with regular 6t but this is option for those who are interested in a themed variant.

7. Y1544691685873
    Cupcake Dec 14, 2018

Y1544691685873 , Dec 14, 2018 :
    Hello,

I picked up the OnePlus 6T Mclaren edition as an upgrade to my 5T; it was received today and I love it. However, I cannot find any Warp chargers on the website to purchase in addition to the one in the box. Are these going to be available soon and if so in Mclaren colours? :)

sxegti and Seagal_aikikai like this.
  8. The_Unkown
    Jelly Bean Dec 14, 2018

The_Unkown , Dec 14, 2018 :
    this graphs depicts that , there is almost no difference in total time of charging Whether you use warp charge 30 or dash charge , but yes there is differences in the initial charging rate .

I don't know , but OnePlus could have made smart move if it had tried chambering of battery like Oppo has done in their devices and used more wattage charger naming it SuperVOOC .

yes , 50% or even 48% charge in 20 min is great . But the total time is not so much different from regular dash charger .

what I am trying to say , chambering would have helped it get more faster than what now McLaren 6T edition now offer .

@Dale F. what do you think about it ?

Seagal_aikikai likes this.
  9. The_Unkown
    Jelly Bean Dec 14, 2018

yes... read the post again , you will find they have added 8 layer of security/ safety protection in order to safeguard the battery.

sethisidd likes this.
  10. The_Unkown
    Jelly Bean Dec 14, 2018

if you gonna believe me , there is gonna improvement in wrap charger 30 , soon we will se it new version and that to competible with McLaren 6t edition . So you should wait . I think that will be available in next gens of OnePlus devices. And colour ! forget it , you won't get that colour , that's what make them limited edition .

11. The_Unkown
    Jelly Bean Dec 14, 2018

Man ! was that sarcasm ! you really feels you will get hardware upgraded over the OTA ?

either you are from some 22nd century or you are drunk like hell !

12. RichardSauer
    Honeycomb Dec 14, 2018

RichardSauer , Dec 14, 2018 :
    So you can buy the warp charge 30 charger and you can recharge your oneplus 5 in the same time as the mclaren version ?

13. tWoBrO
    Gingerbread Dec 14, 2018

14. Aziz_Amin_Oneplus
    Jelly Bean Dec 14, 2018

15. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Dec 14, 2018

The1Lion , Dec 14, 2018 :
    Would I end with the emoji :p:rolleyes: if I wasn't serious?!?!?!? o_O .I mean OP has seriously jumped into the future with warp power so why can't they update my hardware OTA?

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to see if they'll beam me aboard for their 5th anniversary party...

16. BudderMaster752
    Donut Dec 14, 2018

17. Sidhaarth mutreja
    Gingerbread Dec 14, 2018

Sidhaarth mutreja , Dec 14, 2018 :
    sad that you didn't thought of this idea one month ago, or maybe ( definitely) you did , but you wanted to make a marketing strategy and sell more phones , disappointed af.

JayasundarRB likes this.
  18. Sidhaarth mutreja
    Gingerbread Dec 14, 2018

Sidhaarth mutreja , Dec 14, 2018 :
    please answer our question , OnePlus. :/

19. VincentAbee
    Froyo Dec 14, 2018

VincentAbee , Dec 14, 2018 :
    just profits....

20. Sidhaarth mutreja
    Gingerbread Dec 14, 2018