Washed out colours in Hdr content on YouTube.

1. Łukasz_Kostrzewa
    Eclair Jun 6, 2020

Łukasz_Kostrzewa , Jun 6, 2020 :
    On latest update But I think this problem existed earlier.

I think there is something wrong with Hdr content on OP7T. Colours are washed out. When I start movie on YT everything is washed out and when I rotate my Phone to automaticall full screen option in yt there is a moment when colours looks normal... But only for a half a sacond.

Maybe someone have the same problem?

Or Maybe it is normal?

Best regards

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020

2. Cosmos_NT , via OnePlus 7T Frosted Silver , Jun 7, 2020 :
    HDR just doesn't show high dynamic colors, it also tends to show the original color of the video. Android has sRGB support only, if you throw Adobe RGB or even ProPhoto spectrum, it gets converted to sRGB.

While HDR content seen washed out, that is the actual color of everything in the video that you would be looking in real-life.

Check this video from LTT, he explains why HDR content is different, how you confirm it kicks in and what actually is making it different than regular RGB.

harshil1903 and ASCHENTE_V like this.
  3. harshil1903
    Jelly Bean Jun 7, 2020

harshil1903 , via OnePlus 7T , Jun 7, 2020 :
    Even though I agree with everything you say, I still believe that the vibrant colours visible for a split second while switching to and from full screen is how the entire content should be.

You can even test it by playing a HDR video locally on your device and then streaming the same video on YouTube. Locally played video will have true vibrant colours which is how I think HDR should be like. While the same video streamed over YouTube will be washed out.

Łukasz_Kostrzewa likes this.
  4. Łukasz_Kostrzewa
    Eclair Jun 7, 2020

Łukasz_Kostrzewa , Jun 7, 2020 :
    Hi,

I'm thinking the same.

I think it is a bug or problem with YT VP 9.2 codec

Best regards

harshil1903 likes this.
  5. Łukasz_Kostrzewa
    Eclair Jun 7, 2020

Łukasz_Kostrzewa , Jun 7, 2020 :
    Hi,

I tested this with my other phone Oneplus 6 and Hdr looks a lot better on it. (more vibrant)

There is no colour change when I rotate a phone.

I think Hdr in OP7T is broken since last two updates.

Where is the place on this forum to report problem?

Best regards

6. harshil1903
    Jelly Bean Jun 7, 2020

harshil1903 , via OnePlus 7T , Jun 7, 2020 :
    Red + icon on the bottom right. You'll find a Feedback option

7. Łukasz_Kostrzewa
    Eclair Jun 7, 2020

8. Prabhatsivasurya
    Cupcake Oct 25, 2020

Prabhatsivasurya , Oct 25, 2020 :
    In my case it was because of YouTube app. I reverted back to an older version and the HDR content got its vibrancy back. If an offline HDR video on your phone is vibrant within inbuilt video player, the washout problem is possibly because of youtube's or Netflix's codec gone haywire for your phone model. Roll back to an older version of the app till they fix it for your phone.

Personally I think HDR on phone is useless, they should just give an option to turn it off.