1. Vijaykainchi
    Cupcake Oct 7, 2021

2. B_Wrath
    Junior Moderator Junior Moderator Oct 7, 2021

Best Answer

3. Vijaykainchi
    Cupcake Oct 7, 2021

Vijaykainchi , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Oct 7, 2021 :
    But your phone does not work even in water, neither does my phone get bigger only in the rain

4. Vijaykainchi
    Cupcake Oct 7, 2021

Vijaykainchi , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Oct 7, 2021 :
    Go to youtube and search a oneplus 9 pro water test

5. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Oct 7, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Morning Mist , Oct 7, 2021 :
    Not sure what you mean. Every brand has several types of warnings about water damage. Samsung for example warns about "moving water" like tap water.
    Even if several phones may survive under water anything that happens from the very first day of usage may cause the protection to be compromised. Even if in brand new condition just the aging alone may be compromising the IP68 protection.

Bobbie63 , Liehjan and Artemus like this.
  6. Gamingtime1121
    Honeycomb Oct 7, 2021

Gamingtime1121 , via OnePlus 9 , Oct 7, 2021 :
    Not sure what you are saying, better to comment in Urdu so someone can help you out.

7. HarshKK14
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 8, 2021

HarshKK14 , via OnePlus 7 , Oct 8, 2021 :
    His original post was in Hindi, not Urdu 😡.

If you don't know the language, it's better not to specify anything. You could have written him to comment in his mother language.

Vijaykainchi likes this.
  8. vsinha717
    Gingerbread Oct 8, 2021

vsinha717 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Oct 8, 2021 :
    Pete Lau has categorically stated that oneplus 9 pro has only been been tested in lab conditions and not in various working environment so water proofing is not at acceptable levels and yes they have advertised it as ip68 rating. This rating is expensive and works. An ip 68 rating means ti can survive in water as per specification. So..

Techbizz likes this.
  9. vsinha717
    Gingerbread Oct 8, 2021

10. KluGe
    Lollipop Oct 8, 2021

KluGe , Oct 8, 2021 :
    I guess he is thinking that he talks to OnePlus when he mentions "your phone".
    @Vijaykainchi This here is a user forum.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021

Artemus likes this.
  11. Gor.
    Lollipop Oct 8, 2021

Gor. , Oct 8, 2021 :
    Hey there.

FYI, every phone is put through a series of important tests before their final release. It would be extremely risky if they just woke up one fine day and decided to release a product without carrying out all the necessary tests to check for their safety and usability.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021

KluGe and Artemus like this.
  12. Gav_W86
    Moderator Moderator Oct 8, 2021

Gav_W86 , Oct 8, 2021 :
    Yes, an IP68 rating is an independent laboratory test of very specific things in a scientifically controlled environment. Your use will not likely match that. An IP68 rating is about submersion and lasting for a period of time - that means in a controlled pure water tank with no fluid movement. Moving water like rain is not the same thing. The phone is resistant to it, but it is not water proof (and has not been advertised as such). The phone meets IP68 standards, but in the real world that actually means very little - OnePlus did for years avoid IP ratings on their phones saying they were not real world, but the market demanded they did it anyway.

Bobbie63 , Artemus, Liehjan and 2 others like this.
  13. vsinha717
    Gingerbread Oct 8, 2021

Agree fast moving water or cyclone however IP 68 rating is not in lab conditions rather specific to working environment for using the phone. There would be no need of it if it was only for lab situation. It specifies the internal conditions how sealing the ports to be done, specific material for no water leakage et all. If this is followed no leakage will happen. So condition matching I can assure you that all phones with ip68 rating can be submerged and nothing will happen.. If that was the case oneplus should have continued with their internal solution in their earlier phones. All certifications are from use perspective.

14. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Oct 8, 2021

Artemus likes this.
  15. vsinha717
    Gingerbread Oct 8, 2021

The mandatory testings were done. No too ways about it. But advanced, situational test was not done. Otherwise phone heating, charging speed, charging temp issues (out of box) would have been identified and rectified. It would have saved them the nine updates in 5 months and 7 of them within 2 months of its release. The most by any manufacturer. I can't think of any similar experience. Something got missed out right.
    Or to save costs release the phone and resolve issues as and when reported with software updates. Approach is the key here. Cheers

16. vsinha717
    Gingerbread Oct 8, 2021

Controlled condition here refers to 1.5 meters depht and still water. Not sea, ocean et all. This is not lab environment but real time situation of water in 1.5 depth and other specs. In this condition phone will not be damaged. It's a guarantee from agency handling it. If it is otherwise they are bound to work or compensate. This is why it is expensive to get this rating. All certifications work this way. A+ display mate et all.

17. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Oct 8, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Morning Mist , Oct 8, 2021 :
    It's very rare to offer any compensation if a phone gets water damaged. So even with IP68 I would never want to push the limits of the rating.
    At my previous work we had many IP rated phones. They died every single one of them. Never any water involved but the problem there was to high temperature switching causing condensation.
    There were also rather much force applied to them with rough handling. So I'd bet most of them would die if submerged.
    It's very hard to know exactly what the phone have endured and if nothing has happened and compromised the seals and such. If it's rain alone or if the problem is condensation due to temperature switches or not is hard to know.
    I see it mostly as a protection against accidental water contact. But it's still a maybe for me. A ton of IP rated stuff at work that dies over and over. Both IP68 and IP69K dies randomly there. So I never fully trust it.

vsinha717 likes this.
  18. vsinha717
    Gingerbread Oct 8, 2021

U r right it also depends on the type of work done so most organization's kind of create the confusion but in practice like A+ display rating it has parameters specific so either it does or it doesn't. Why would a manufacturer pay such a huge amount for a certification if it is vague in nature. It is so expensive that only flagship models have it. My iphone 12 I have used in water and no issues.
    IP 65 specific for small jets of water does exactly that. A waterproof watch can be used in water. Otherwise why pay for a service and not be able to use. Either it works or it doesn't. Why get the certificate.

19. vsinha717
    Gingerbread Oct 8, 2021

I am sure customer consumer courts are their in every country. This is specific to the product released and official specs released by the company for any product. If proved adv value is missing, action is taken.There is a separate procedure for this. Its just that it is dependent on our attitude whether it is important or not. If we are ok with mismatch or not. Reasoning can be different for people. Say every manufacturer is the same or say brand loyalty and overlook any error.

20. vsinha717
    Gingerbread Oct 8, 2021