Waze on Android Auto freezing/losing gps when in a phonecall

1. Guyush
    Eclair Feb 8, 2019

Guyush , Feb 8, 2019 :
    New OnePlus 6T. Latest 9.0.11 firmware. Bought 4 days ago. I am not using Android Auto. Waze/Google Maps loose GPS lock few seconds/minutes after I start talking on the phone. Bluetooth on/off has no impact on the problem. Battery optimization of all kinds - enabled or not for Waze has no impact. I consider this a major OS bug. The minute I hang up the call GPS lock is immediately restored. This should be fixed asap by OnePlus IMHO. People can't use a navigation software while talking on the phone? Even my old Note 3 can do this without a problem.

Orfalism and Bullmans like this.
  2. Guyush
    Eclair Feb 8, 2019

Guyush , Feb 8, 2019 :
    I am on latest Waze beta, same problem, no fix and nothing is mentioned about a fix to this problem in the changelog. Can you please share the changelog and the beta version of Waze you are talking about ?
    I am quite sure this is not a Waze or Maps problem, but a OS problem. Both apps behave the same :-(

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019

3. Bullmans
    Cupcake Feb 8, 2019

Bullmans , Feb 8, 2019 :

Well buddy, I do not buy that, if the problem was with Waze, than we should not have any issue with Maps but, everyone that is aware of the problem faces the same problem with Maps. The problem and answer are both with OP NOT Waze.

4. polska2180
    Eclair Feb 8, 2019

polska2180 , Feb 8, 2019 :

Bullmans

Well buddy, I do not buy that, if the problem was with Waze, than we should not have any issue with Maps but, everyone that is aware io the problem faces the same problem with Maps. The problem and answer are both with OP NOT Waze.​

well buddy believe it or not up to you I don't care to be challenged by anybody here. I'm simply sharing my experience.
    1549643988173.jpg

5. polska2180
    Eclair Feb 8, 2019

6. Guyush
    Eclair Feb 8, 2019

Guyush , Feb 8, 2019 :
    Well it sais "fixed waze freezes on bluetooth phone call".
    But my problems is:
    1. Waze doesn't freeze.It looses GPS. It does it if I use a Bluetooth phone call or Normal phone call. Gps is totally fine the minute I end the phone call. I am on latest beta. The problem persists.
    2. Same problem is in Google maps.
    Conclusion - the bug is probably not app related but OS related.

7. polska2180
    Eclair Feb 8, 2019

polska2180 , Feb 8, 2019 :
    I only had an issue with Waze loosing GPS not gmaps. The beta stopped the freezing and more accurately as you mention GPS loss.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019

8. G1541318684736
    Cupcake Feb 8, 2019

G1541318684736 , Feb 8, 2019 :
    have been facing issue with loosing gps all of a sudden during navigation, and music player stops automatically. and lately experiencing phone getting struck when trying to attend the call. has been frustrating to use 6t.

9. Guyush
    Eclair Feb 9, 2019

Guyush , Feb 9, 2019 :
    Can you use Waze and talk on the phone at the same time without getting "No GPS. Showing aproximate location" red error on the screen ? And I mean more then few minutes call as it takes some time to appear. That's the problem I have. I am going to wipe all and retest with clean rom.

10. switch.xp
    Eclair Feb 9, 2019

switch.xp , Feb 9, 2019 :
    Same here. I absolutely hate this problem. Doesn't happen with Samsung or Google (terminals - Pixel/nexus)

11. polska2180
    Eclair Feb 9, 2019

polska2180 , Feb 9, 2019 :
    yes I can again till that beta couldn't the GPS would just jump around so I would switch to gmaps while on a call. then back to Waze after I was done. I have used it for short and long calls including Skype conference calls where I have Waze running on AA Bluetooth call going and presentation on my phone

Guyush likes this.
  12. Guyush
    Eclair Feb 10, 2019

Guyush , Feb 10, 2019 :
    Unfortunately even after full wipe this bug is refusing to go away. I have a 6t with 256gb. Which model do you have?

13. polska2180
    Eclair Feb 28, 2019

polska2180 , Feb 28, 2019 :
    so I am having the issue again I don't know what it is related to if it's the phone or Waze in this phone. the workaround I use once on a call I switch to Google maps which I never have had issues with then switch back to Waze (in the AA interface ) that seems to fix any good issue while in case and on the phone. today I also received this.

Hello Android Auto users!

Tl;dr - We have just opened Fused Location Provider for Android Auto beta testers. We need feedback.

Up till now, Waze on Android Auto has been solely relying on GPS provided by the phone connected to the Android Auto system. This setup sometimes caused several issues in case phone GPS wasn’t available or accurate while driving.

Starting today, we will test a new source of location provided by Google Play Services called FLP (Fused Location Provider). FLP combines GPS, Network Location (Wi-Fi/Cell), and inertial sensors to intelligently switch between these different location sources and in result balance accuracy and power. For driving use case, we expect FLP to rely mostly on the in-car sourced GPS resulting in generally more precise location for Waze on Android Auto.

This should be working on every AA system and to all Beta testers who are testing Android Auto. There is nothing special that needs to be done on your side.

14. Ytkuser
    Gingerbread Mar 2, 2019

15. jrenee
    Cupcake Mar 26, 2019

jrenee , Mar 26, 2019 :
    So I'm a little late and have been having this issue for about a month. Waze freezes on android auto but google maps works fine. I've read forum after forum and was becoming more and more frustrated until about an hour ago I read a feed on a jeep forum that had the same issue December 2018. He said he figured out the issue has to do with power saving mode and said he's had no problem since he turned it off. I tried it and Viola!! It works perfectly fine now. Not sure what happened and I hope it sticks. Hope this helped someone.

Lapinerie likes this.
  16. Maxim.DC
    Cupcake Mar 28, 2019

Maxim.DC , Mar 28, 2019 :
    I have the exact same issue with the OP6 and Android Auto. I have to drive long distances, so this is really frustrating as I am not able to keep using Waze during phone calls!

So I presume there is still no feedback from One Plus?

17. polska2180
    Eclair Mar 28, 2019

polska2180 , Mar 28, 2019 :
    When you get on the call and waze is running on AA switch to Gmaps on AA then back to Waze see if that helps you, fixes it for me ever time.

18. Orfalism
    Cupcake Apr 24, 2019

Orfalism , Apr 24, 2019 :
    OnePlus 6T here. Everytime I get a phone call during navigating on Google maps, or anything that utilizes GPS for that matter, the service stops until I hang up. very very inconvenient, and I definitely have missed a lot of turns because of that.

19. Ohalfie
    Froyo Apr 25, 2019

Ohalfie , Apr 25, 2019 :
    I tried Waze via AA the other day. I have always used a Garmin or GM and I must say Waze was a big fail for me. It had several streets labelled wrong and sent me in the wrong direction at least twice.

I think I'll stick with GM at this point.

20. D1560084799141
    Cupcake Jun 9, 2019

D1560084799141 , Jun 9, 2019 :
    Got OP 7 Pro t-mobile version 3 weeks ago. Never had this issue with Samsung, Moto or LG phones before. As I spent half of my life on the road, ability to maintain navigation in Waze while talking on the phone in Android Auto is critical to me. Only tweak the sometimes works is to force the phone network settings to "3G/4G" only.
    Please fix this OP!

mister_p likes this.