We Broke Even Last Year ??? Check the figures !

1. paulistic
    Gingerbread Aug 3, 2015

paulistic , Aug 3, 2015 :
    Considering they done charge a ridiculous amount for the phone, its quite easy to see why the company doesnt make ridiculous profits. They keep costs low, sell the phone cheap and at the end of the day if they get to keep their jobs, get paid and break even, well done!

2. major90
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 3, 2015

major90 , Aug 3, 2015 :
    They did break even in terms of expense and income. They got the right mindframe

3. Kaurismaki
    Gingerbread Aug 3, 2015

Kaurismaki , Aug 3, 2015 :
    If you follow the blog, they are expecting to lose money in the first couple years. The first few phones will be selling at price with a very thin margin...that means future Oneplus phones, if possible, will be selling like iPhone with good margin.

With OPPO behind, I guess the initial investment of Oneplus is not much compared with real startup with no giant backing. Don't worry about them or fear them of making a lot of money.

4. disabledcyclist
    Froyo Aug 3, 2015

disabledcyclist , Aug 3, 2015 :
    Im not saying they should have made a huge profit , however I wouldnt begrudge that as I love my OPO, however what I am saying is if they targeted 50k sales and hit 1 million, then profits SHOULD have been made !

5. mdup17
    Gingerbread Aug 3, 2015

6. Rafztafara
    Jelly Bean Aug 3, 2015

Rafztafara , Aug 3, 2015 :
    Hahahaha good one, ma'am! :D

Suzie likes this.
  7. Juwson
    Gingerbread Aug 3, 2015

Juwson , Aug 3, 2015 :
    Fair point. They are doing better than Nokia did thought ;-)

8. izrealgood
    Gingerbread Aug 3, 2015

9. izrealgood
    Gingerbread Aug 3, 2015

izrealgood , Aug 3, 2015 :
    yes that nokia deal was a total disaster for Microsoft. Apparently they are writing off that whole investment. amazing how that company cratered.

disabledcyclist likes this.
  10. ranjithr43
    KitKat Aug 3, 2015

ranjithr43 , Aug 3, 2015 :
    You guys are dissecting each and every statement he makes. Its a business so they might show poker faces or twis their words to woo more investors or customers! :) Chillax

11. akramfaisal
    Eclair Aug 3, 2015

akramfaisal , Aug 3, 2015 :
    They say they scaled up the team THIS YEAR - not last year. So it sales were much more than there prediction, how come just a break even!?

12. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Aug 3, 2015

dsmonteiro , Aug 3, 2015 :
    1. They have been scaling up ever since the phone was released
    2. Not all phones were sold last year
    3. Fiscal years usually don't match calendar year.

13. bSorbet
    Honeycomb Aug 3, 2015

bSorbet , Aug 3, 2015 :
    It looks like the plan was to rely on external financing while establishing oneplus as a company

14. akramfaisal
    Eclair Aug 3, 2015

maybe, but according to the report.. they added people only this year!

"We hope to break even this year but it's a stretch goal because we added so many more people to our team"

So they hope to break even this year, it might not happen, because more people were added. So if people were added along the way, no reason to say that!

15. dsmonteiro

Sorry, but you're reading something they didn't say. They said they added "so many more people" this year. They didn't say that they only did it this year.

josefn24 likes this.
  16. _XVII_
    Honeycomb Aug 3, 2015

_XVII_ , Aug 3, 2015 :
    they hired a shit-ton of people, that's why even with the new proficts they broke even, and that's actually a really nice result...

josefn24 likes this.
  17. akramfaisal
    Eclair Aug 3, 2015

but they do say they don't expect to break even this year - it's a stretched goal because they added more people - meaning they added more people for OnePlus 2 release.. i.e. this year!
    If already break even for last year because of adding more people, there is no reason for it to spill over to this year and make this year also break even! They have the invite system and all to make the cost low. So they will not hire a million people when they need only 10,000!
    It's specifically said the stretched goal of break even for this year is because of adding more people, which mean THIS YEAR!! not adding people last year!

18. Maneck
    Honeycomb Aug 3, 2015

19. dsmonteiro

And where did I say otherwise?

We were talking about last year. Now you're talking about this year.

I guess something is being lost in translation.

20. ranjithr43
    KitKat Aug 3, 2015