weather

1. zoesky
    Honeycomb May 4, 2015

zoesky , May 4, 2015 :
    At one time I had a weather widget? that would show on the lock screen. Was that feature removed or am I not looking in the right area of the settings?

2. rendavis
    Cupcake May 5, 2015

rendavis , May 5, 2015 :
    In the Lollipop OS, you can now add a weather notification to the lock screen by utilizing the new lock screen notification settings. For example, here is how I added AccuWeather notifications to my lock screen:

Step 1: Load the AccuWeather app.
    Obviously, you don't need to use this particular app. Most other weather apps will also work.

Step 2: AccuWeather app> Settings> Notifications> Notification Interval> 10 minutes
    This sets the frequency with which the notification will be updated. You can make the interval as short as 5 minutes, which will use more battery power, or as long as 60 minutes, which will result in less accurate notifications.
    Step 3: [phone] Settings> Notification Manager> App notifications> AccuWeather> Block> Off

Step 4: [phone] Settings> Notification Manager> App notifications> AccuWeather> Show on lock screen> On

Step 5: [phone] Settings> Notification Manager> App notifications> AccuWeather> Disable persistent notification on lock screen> Off

Last edited: May 5, 2015

Seemodasupreemo and TrueBrush like this.
  3. zoesky
    Honeycomb May 5, 2015

zoesky , May 5, 2015 :
    Thanks so much! Do you know what app was used for the update. Or if its available separately? Trying to avoid AccuWeather... No offense. :)

4. rendavis
    Cupcake May 5, 2015

rendavis , May 5, 2015 :
    I am not sure that I understand your question. Are you are asking whether there is a default weather app built into into the new Cyanogen OS 12/Android Lollipop operating system? If so, the answer is no. In order to have weather notifications on your lock screen, you will need to download a weather app.

But you will not need to download the AccuWeather app. My best guess is that, with this new operating system, you will be able to receive lock screen notifications from virtually any weather app (including, but not limited to, The Weather Channel app, the WeatherBug app, the Yahoo! Weather app, and the Weather Underground app). Just (1) go to settings for whichever weather app you choose to download, (2) authorize that weather app to post notifications, and then (3) go to [phone] Settings> Notification Manager> App notifications> [weather app] and authorize the posting of those notifications to your lock screen (in the same manner I showed you how to authorize the posting of AccuWeather notifications to your lock screen).

zoesky likes this.
  5. zoesky
    Honeycomb May 6, 2015

zoesky , May 6, 2015 :
    OK! Thanks again!

6. crakerjac
    Froyo May 6, 2015

crakerjac , May 6, 2015 :
    So the only way to do it is by using an app with a notification? I don't want a persistent notification on my statusbar... I would rather use something like the cLock widget from KitKat.

7. rendavis
    Cupcake May 6, 2015

rendavis , May 6, 2015 :
    I don't understand your objection. First, the lock screen notification is virtually indistinguishable from a widget. Here is a screen shot of my lock screen:

screen shot.jpg

Second, at least for AccuWeather, the status bar notification is both useful and nonintrusive -- consisting only of very small digits (in the upper left hand corner of the screen) that represent
    the current temperature.

screen shot 2.jpg

Finally, if you have upgraded to Lollipop, a Kit-Kat-only widget isn't even an option for you.

Last edited: May 6, 2015

8. delasoul
    Froyo Jun 17, 2015

9. Stubentiger
    Eclair Nov 15, 2015

Stubentiger , Nov 15, 2015 :
    If you look in the settings for the Notification Drawer there is an option to "Show weather."
    But the reason I know this is because my weather hasn't updated for months--in other words, it doesn't work.
    Take that for what it is worth, I guess.

10. rendavis
    Cupcake Nov 15, 2015

rendavis , Nov 15, 2015 :
    Yes, there is a weather notification option in the Notification Drawer settings. But this merely allows you to switch on a weather notification above the Quick Settings Panel. It has nothing whatsoever to do with weather notifications on the Lock Screen.

11. Stubentiger
    Eclair Nov 19, 2015

Stubentiger , Nov 19, 2015 :
    Thank you for clarifying. I assumed it was the same app.

Now to figure out why the temperatures in my Quick Settings Panel haven't changed for months. Grr...

12. rajeshkumar_r
    Gingerbread May 26, 2017

13. G_李天朋_MjYc
    Cupcake Jun 27, 2017