Week 238: We launch OnePlus 6 Red, follow up on promises, and bald eagle it.

1. Ruby G. Creative Copywriter Staff Member Jul 6, 2018

Ruby G., Jul 6, 2018 :
    forum-big.png

Hello friends,

It's been a red-hot kind of week. We announced the gorgeous OnePlus 6 Red on Monday and shared how we made this beauty in @Pete's deep dive. If you've got your own theories, @NeVeR_SeTTLe/@Cheetosdust are hosting a creative writing thread you might like. Fun fact, the other name in deliberation was Ruby Red, which would have been absolutely precious :D

If you can't wait until July 10 (the 16th for our friends in India) to order yours, I cordially invite you to join our OnePlus 6 Red giveaway, which ends right before Open Sales day. Thank you to everyone who has shared their stories so far– it's always a privilege to get to know you all better.

We ask a lot of questions here at OnePlus (Exhibit A: the most recent OnePlus 6 user survey posted by our product manager @Vito L.) because it helps us consider every angle and synthesize your feedback well. The important part after listening, however, is doing (#relationshipadvice). More to come on this point, but for now you can read up on the work we've done based on our Open Ear Forums action points earlier this year. As I write this, our India community is coming together for their first Open Ears Forum in Goa. Hope everything is going well, @Joel Jacob!

Speaking of awesome people from our Bangalore team, @Manu J. released new Open Beta Builds for the OnePlus 5 and 5T. Woohoo Project Treble! There are other goodies wrapped in this update, so check it out.

Last but not least, as a proud American – @Chris dB habitually tells me to tone down my patriotism, I tell him it's just part of being a Texan – I'd like to give a shout-out to our Bay Area team for successfully launching the @OnePlus_USA twitter account. Feel free to say hello to @Daisy K., who briefly popped up in the USA section to spread the word about their own giveaway. If you're based stateside, she might be a good person to follow.

Quote of the week
    How to start trouble on a group chat for work, courtesy of @David Y.

upload_2018-7-6_12-2-26.jpeg

Tech Picks of the Week
    A smattering of technology reads for your learning pleasure:
    • Cambridge x Silicon Valley for artificial intelligence research because it's cheaper to hire Brits?! What a paradigm shift :eek: I enjoyed this read on how the UK is currently the place to be for those following the AI boom. Catch up on the latest AI chip developments in this excellent summary article.
    • Got an extra $250,000+ to burn and tired of the Maldives? Well, you could always do the tourist thing in outer space with an 11-minute flight on the New Shepard.
    • And for those of you who have been watching the World Cup, have you ever thought about the product design and technology behind the soccer ball? A nice piece from NPR.
    Have a great weekend, everyone. Please do share if you know of any great community threads that I missed in this week's update.

2. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Jul 6, 2018

youbi, Jul 6, 2018 :
    It would surely be a nice name pick also, because it does look like a red ruby. :p

[​IMG]
    Ohh, and it would also be a nice homage to you. :D This time it would be the Ruby special edition, and next time maybe we could get a @Crystal Z. special OP6 edition. :sweatsmile:

But then @David Y. would be sad, because its not that easy to make a special David OP6 edition, not sure what color that would be. :sweatsmile:

yep, better be careful with who you cheer for. :tongueclosed: As for me, now I have to cheer for Uruguay. :sweat: At least than we can say that we only got eliminated by the WC champion, that makes it sound less bad. :sob:

Have a great weekend everyone.

3. dsmonteiro Starting Point Manager Community Expert Jul 6, 2018

dsmonteiro, Jul 6, 2018 :
    Thanks for sharing those articles! I'm particularly curious about the one on AI. Reading time!

4. Shivang Joshi KitKat Jul 6, 2018

5. G_plusone Lollipop Jul 6, 2018

G_plusone, Jul 6, 2018 :
    Thanks for the Wonderful contests (again ;)) this week @Ruby G. and for the Tech picks of the week Daisy was mis-tagged

6. Lancelot_69 Lollipop Jul 6, 2018

Lancelot_69, Jul 6, 2018 :
    You could do theme phones a Ruby Red named after you! Then you can make a flexible phone called the Bender in honor of @superplus . Theme phones the new trend.

7. Eslavath_Roshan Honeycomb Jul 6, 2018

8. ChrisTerp KitKat Jul 6, 2018

9. LightningXIII KitKat Community Expert Jul 6, 2018

10. BobbyVK Lollipop Jul 6, 2018

BobbyVK, Jul 6, 2018 :
    Hey Ruby, That's an awesome weekly (Creative Copywriter for a reason)

The Red edition looks stunning and is eligible to be called Ruby Red
    @Manu J. and his team has done a marvelous job this time.

As for the Open Ears, I'm excited for our friends traveling to Goa. Have fun and be productive fellas. @David Y. has good hopes on you :p

11. MKT_IRFAN3735 Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 6, 2018

12. Crystal Z. Community team. Ex-bug hunter. Staff Member Jul 6, 2018

Crystal Z., Jul 6, 2018 :
    Ahaha, huge challenge to make a crystal phone, but it would be amazing to get one:D

Ruby G., jlasensiofi, Alvie and 9 others like this.
  13. meatandy Nougat Jul 6, 2018

meatandy, Jul 6, 2018 :
    As usual Ruby another great week in review .

@Chris dB , I believe you owe Ruby a nice pair of Ruby Red shoes after filling yours so nicely.:p:cool: 095bb0c0e006bd30cbfe2c3bbb3e4642.gif

14. Martin_VN Honeycomb Jul 6, 2018

15. Drasm19 Honeycomb Jul 6, 2018

Drasm19, Jul 6, 2018 :
    We would totally like to have a WeChat group for OnePlus community.
    Wouldn't that be awesome!

Ruby G., Cheetosdust and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  16. Dresa91 Oreo Jul 6, 2018

Ruby G., Cheetosdust, script and 2 others like this.
  17. script Lollipop Moderator Jul 6, 2018

script, Jul 6, 2018 :
    At least you're the only staff with a famous personal hit.

Have a good day everyone

Ruby G., Baymax, jlasensiofi and 6 others like this.
  18. gaster KitKat Moderator Jul 6, 2018

gaster, Jul 6, 2018 :
    Hehe. Nice articles you are shared here Ruby and thanks for that :) Looking forward to see what's coming next like the Project Treble and the AI etc. Have a good time guys and all the best!

19. obakesan Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 6, 2018

20. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 6, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe, Jul 6, 2018 :
    Nice one Ruby :D
    @Cheetosdust why didn't we think of Ruby Red?
    Have a nice weekend everyone and relax. Weather is supposed to be superb in Western Europe!! ;)