Week 244: We welcome a guest, share some updates and have a family meeting.

1. Ruby G. NA Community Manager Staff Member Aug 17, 2018

Ruby G., Aug 17, 2018 :
    forum_244.png

Hello friends,

How was your week? Mine went by blindingly fast, with plenty of behind-the-scenes work for the Mystery AMA game. Thank you to everyone who asked a question and came out to the live event! We hope you all enjoyed yourselves. Here were some of my favorite answers from Zack (aka JerryRigEverything):

A bit of back story on the mystery AMA event. I dreamed up this game months ago but wasn’t sure if we could make it happen. Nothing like it had ever been done before, and people around me told me that most YouTubers would be insanely busy with their own projects around this time, why would they come by the Forums just to chat with our community, this concept was a bit unconventional etc etc. To my delight, Zack agreed to drop by the forums on his own dime and time; he was easy to work with, funny and a genuinely good guy in his AMA responses. I’ve always loved his teardown and testing videos, but this experience brought my respect for him to a new level. Anyways I’ll stop fangirling now XD but my point is that it was very cool of him to agree to do this, so please do leave a thank you on his channel if you get the chance.

In other news, @Manu J. released a new OTA for the OnePlus 6. It’s estimated that the first open beta for Android Pie may come as early as next week (woohoo!) In the meantime, if you’d like to learn how UI design came to be in OxygenOS 3.5, @Gary C. released a nice post sharing their team’s thought process.

What about the Bullets Wireless? We hear you and are in the process of making more. The next estimated batch should come in mid-September. Subscribe to get updates for your region here.

{Beginning of Family Meeting}

The community saw a few open letters this week. They’re not the first of their nature, and likely not the last either. I want to address these posts and some other sentiments that I know come from a very heartfelt place.

The community forums is such a complex gathering place. It’s an intersection of many cultures and people from different walks of life. As more people learn about OnePlus and our devices, this place will only get more diverse with time. @David Y. and many other awesome community members work tirelessly every day to address and plan for these growing pains. Sometimes new efforts like Starting Point help, while others are a lesson learned.

Progress happens in spurts, with time in between. Things are moving forward, even when it seems nothing is happening. We have never forgotten that the forums are the heart of our community. Our team will continue to work hard to make our corner of the internet a great place to hang out at. Slowly but surely, things will get closer to our ideals.

And when you post a comment with sincere suggestions, it means a lot to us. It shows you care. Not every idea is instantly implementable, but your posts help us see your perspective and set the direction of our next steps. So please continue to share your opinions, even the harsh ones – they are helpful. To close, I want to give a shout out to everyone who has stuck around,to anyone who has ever made a helpful comment or funny joke. Thank you. Your presence here impacts other people’s lives in ways that you cannot measure.

{Family Meeting Adjourned.}

Quote of the Week
    Guess who shouted at a cookie this week?

“ARGH IT’S CHOCOLATE. I hate chocolate. It tastes very bitter.”

Congratulations to @Crystal Z. for making quote of the week :p I also found out in her signature manner that she dislikes the smell of Earl Gray tea (I didn’t know before that such people exist). Her exclamations inject some fun to David/mine’s calm dynamic on the community team haha.

Tech Picks of the Week
    Some lovely articles for your intellectual satiation:
    (Fun fact: I learned what satiated meant from playing Neopets back in the day. Neopets was probably the first online community I ever got involved in. Anyone else spend hours on that site?)
    • The New York Times has been pushing out some great reflective pieces on Tech and modern American Politics. A specific look at how foreign influences manipulated Facebook groups to add to the chaos of political strife here. (If you’re behind on the whole “Facebook is changing the face of democracy” debate, I’d start with this piece from the Atlantic.) On a happier note, here’s an inspiring underdog story of how a Bay Area man fought for an important privacy bill and won against tech giants + their lobbyists.
    • Our tech dystopian future is getting closer and closer :eek: Read how Google is planning the city of the future in Canada.
    • If you love data visualizations like me, you’ll love reminiscing and learning from these tech news data charts.
    That’s all from me this week, friends. Enjoy these last moments of summer before fall is upon us again.

2. David Y. Global Community Manager Staff Member Aug 22, 2018

Stickied Post
    David Y., Aug 22, 2018 :
    Hi everyone, we just want to keep our community posted, we're still working on some bug fixes of the first Android Pie Open Beta build for the OnePlus 6. Hopefully, we can bring our fellow community some exciting news soon.

3. Dhiren Velari Gingerbread Aug 18, 2018

4. the_reckoner Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 18, 2018

5. izzykasha KitKat Aug 18, 2018

izzykasha, Aug 18, 2018 :
    Very nice Ruby, the AMA was a nice touch this week, sadly I missed the live event caught on the road in traffic.

I do like the fact the open letters have been mentioned here as you can see from reading them they are from people that really care about this "Oneplus Home"

Top week !

6. Majuran thas Honeycomb Aug 18, 2018

7. Shivang Joshi Starting Point Expert Aug 18, 2018

8. 97pratyush Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 18, 2018

97pratyush, Aug 18, 2018 :
    Thanks @Ruby G. I'm glad that he answered my question (even though I was correcting someone else's question ) and you considered as your favorite. So, if you think, I don't deserve that price (IMO, I don't think I do), you can go ahead and give the price to the person I replied (or corrected) in that thread and not me.
    Btw, it was a refreshing event, and I loved all his answers.
    Never Settle.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018

9. script Marshmallow Moderator Aug 18, 2018

script, Aug 18, 2018 :
    Thx Ruby.

This Community is in good hands, member- and staff-wise.

#hereeveryday

Cheers, and a good WE to all,

Script

(I don't know what # means, but other people do this often)

youbi, Ravi BINAVAT, Ruby G. and 6 others like this.
  10. luigimario The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Aug 18, 2018

luigimario, Aug 18, 2018 :
    Great weekly update. I think a lot of people will be excited about the bullets coming back in stock. I wanted to say, "great work" on the AMA. It was an exciting and creative event, and just part of what makes this community so awesome. Brava @Ruby G. and the rest of the team for hosting a (seemingly) seamless event. Looking forward to the next one!

11. rasberybun Donut Aug 18, 2018

12. NeverGiveUpOnUrDreams KitKat Aug 18, 2018

13. Leandro161288 Eclair Aug 18, 2018

Ravi BINAVAT, Damonp87 and Vladut123 like this.
  14. pratik4572 Gingerbread Aug 18, 2018

pratik4572, Aug 18, 2018 :
    Which device get android pie open beta?

Ravi BINAVAT, Damonp87 and Vladut123 like this.
  15. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Aug 18, 2018

Cheetosdust, Aug 18, 2018 :
    Hello @Ruby G.

Thank you so much for this weekly update - well written as always and with so many great topics :)

I really liked the AMA - Zack was awesome and we got some great questions/answers. I think it’s a great idea and I hope you can do it again, if not with other YouTubers, maybe with OnePlus Staff, for example.

I love how your tenacity after dreaming about that idea actually made it happen. A lesson we should all (or me at least) take and apply to our own jobs or studies. Nothing but respect for you :)

Have a great weekend everyone. Enjoy it! :cool:

PS: @Crystal Z. about that quote.. wow, just wow :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

16. sommersy KitKat Aug 18, 2018

sommersy, Aug 18, 2018 :
    So you've totally sold out of them?...congrats, i guess :D

17. pa5t1s Marshmallow Aug 18, 2018

18. G_gopi_chand_4674 Donut Aug 18, 2018

G_gopi_chand_4674, Aug 18, 2018 :
    bro..that means they will give Android pie update in next week..?

Ravi BINAVAT and Vladut123 like this.
  19. Aashish Kumar Shaw Froyo Aug 18, 2018

Ravi BINAVAT, Ruby G. and Vladut123 like this.
  20. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Aug 18, 2018

Cheetosdust, Aug 18, 2018 :
    "It’s estimated that the first open beta for Android Pie may come as early as next week (woohoo!)"

That's for the first Open Beta, as it's clearly stated on the opening message.

21. meatandy Nougat Aug 18, 2018

meatandy, Aug 18, 2018 :
    Thanks for the AMA and the weekly update , both are good reads.

script, Ravi BINAVAT, Ruby G. and 4 others like this.