Weekly Mobile Photography Challenge #13: Architecture

1. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Oct 24, 2019

dsmonteiro , Oct 24, 2019 :
    Prancheta 1.png

Hi there,

After a long break, we're back with a new photography challenge. And this week is all about Architecture.

Architecture photography focuses on buildings, inside or outside. It also encompasses other man-made structures, like monuments, or bridges. Your subject isn't going anywhere, so it's all about framing it in the best possible way, to get the best possible shot. Try exploring the building's lines, symmetries or any repeating patterns.

If there are any famous buildings near you, even better. Capture them and share their story with the Community.

@cdnfarmer will be this week's host and will soon share some more examples, as well as some additional tips.

To make the challenge, well, more challenging, try to share pictures taken this week, rather than directly from the gallery. The idea behind this series is to invite you to go out and take new, amazing shots. And remember, it’s all about mobile photos.

The best 10 photos will be awarded 100 raffle points that can be used to enter raffles. You can read more about it here.

Challenge Rules:
    - All photos should be taken with a smartphone, regardless of brand. Some weekly challenges may be specific to some OnePlus models, but the thread will be clear about it.
    - The photo should match the challenge's topic. Non-related pictured are not eligible to win.
    - Any photo shared by you should be your own. Any kind of cheating will result in disqualification in the present and any future challenges.
    - Each user can post up to 5 different photos each week.
    - While the photos are still yours, you allow OnePlus to use your photos for promotion purposes.

2. cdnfarmer
    Photography Expert Oct 24, 2019

cdnfarmer , Oct 24, 2019 :
    Great introduction @dsmonteiro

What is architecture and how can it be captured in a photo? First, architecture is a "general term to describe buildings and physical structures" including the style, design, and methods of construction (Wiki). We often see architecture marvels such as the Eiffel tower,
    _wmpc_architecture_eiffel.jpg
    photoby @O1550228053304
    Gaudi's work in Barcelona,
    POdeEulw (2).jpeg oDBfRAZA.jpeg
    photos by @hennes
    Leaning Tower of Pisa (many more can be listed here), or bridges etc.
    _wmpc_architecture_bridge.jpg
    photo by @Tejratna

When we look around us, even out in the countryside, architecture surrounds us. Just imagine the design and construction of wooden grain bins, barns etc. Meanwhile, in urban settings, we can see skyscrapers, buildings, parks, bridges, and other infrastructure items that give a unique sense of architecture for that area. Sometimes, the architecture of a building is preserved yet modified to meet current needs... The results may turn out to be funny in some people's eyes. For example, an older looking building in NYC was modified to house the horses used in Central Park and modifications made to clean the stables.
    IMG_20190514_065225_1_001.jpg

Traveling to various places, one can notice different architectural types that varies based on location and time periods. In Europe, there are many beautiful buildings with a wide array of architecture that were either built many centuries ago or rebuilt using the architectural style of the times. One can noticed how the buildings are built, the details on churches, churches built in different types (e.g. gothic, baroque etc), city halls, bridges, etc.

Now, how do we capture and portray architecture in pictures? Many may say simple... click a picture of a building, part of a building or bridge or some type of infrastructure. Yes, you may. However, let's review some questions, information, and tips to help capture and enhance those architecture pictures.

1. Try to see the picture; what is it that you are trying to convey? Is it an old building, colours of the windows, a colour accent, reflections in glass windows, curvature or unique feature of a building? Is it a combination of old and new, or an old building and meeting current needs making you,as the photographer think “interesting... ohhh... this is funny or....? “

2. Are there surrounding items that can enhance the picture (e.g. trees or greenery, related object, steam coming off hot straw, etc)?
    IMG_20190513_095124__01.jpg
    Brooklyn NYC

3. Are there other structural items that can frame or enhance the display?
    _wmpc_architecture_framing.jpg
    Photo taken by @sergiusechel in July SOOP

4. What angle captures the image that you want to convey? Are there straight edges to focus the observers' eyes? Do these lines help guide the observers’ attention?

_wmpc_architecture_leadingedge.jpg
    Photo taken by @LagJuancho in March SOOP

Are there curves or arches that gives a particular effect? IMG_20191015_160258__01.jpg

IMG_20191015_160352__01_001.jpg
    Rathaus Hamburg

5. Should the picture be taken straight on or off on an angle?
    IMG_20191015_162336__01_003.jpg

IMG_20191015_162321__01_002.jpg
    Rathaus (City Hall) Hamburg

6. Should you add more foreground to give "a leading up to" impression?
    IMG_20190610_144027__01_1.jpg
    L' Oratoire St. Joseph Montréal

or Looking up a building to emphasize its height? or
    IMG_20191013_133339__01_001.jpg
    The Dome in Köln

7. Are you trying to convey a mix between man made architecture and nature?
    IMG_20190514_154101_001.jpg
    Central park NYC

8. Have you looked at the items from many or all directions? For example, there are a couple of bridges in the neighbouring city. They are beautiful when in the middle of the road and looking up. I would love to show you such pictures, but they are on busy streets... Commuters and police don't take kindly to people stopping in the middle of the road for such a picture... Therefore, I suggest if it is safe for you to do so to look up when on a bridge. In the meantime, other pictures are provided for you.
    IMG_20191013_150320__01__01_001.jpg IMG_20191016_192046__01_001.jpg
    Bridges in Köln and Hamburg, respectively

9. Next consideration is the light and time of day? Is there something that enhance the display at a certain time of day? Sometimes at night, the lights may enhance the structure of the building or the impressions given to the observers.
    IMG_20181029_224944_001_001.jpg
    NYC

Other times, the sun may give a glow to the building or structure enhancing the view.
    _wmpc_architecture_light.jpg
    photo by andrew fish

These are many considerations. They are there to help you think of the picture you want to convey and from what position you want to take the picture. Have fun, look up, down or to the side and discover the architecture around you. Feel free to add in the comments what you have tried and found worked best for you. Look forward to seeing what architecture that you noticed this week.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019

3. Starcommander
    Lollipop Oct 24, 2019

4. B.I.T.S.
    User of the Year 2019 Oct 24, 2019

B.I.T.S. , Oct 24, 2019 :
    Yaaaaaay, finally... I've miss you my baby thread. Very very very veeeeeeery much.

Thank you for bring it back ლ(ꈍωꈍლ)

sandi_developer likes this.
  6. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Oct 24, 2019

Impersonal , Oct 24, 2019 :
    Really interested in seeing what our great Usual suspects will come up with, even though, I'm in no way affiliated with this thread, I would like to request/suggest/politely ask for pictures of ruins and decayed arhitectural pictures ... I really enjoy them, and the stories behind them

Cheers, All the best, and happy hunting!

7. dsmonteiro

sandi_developer likes this.

10. dsmonteiro

AbdulHai, superplus, Jp_18 and 9 others like this.

12. otto2

otto2 , Oct 24, 2019 :
    IMG_20191011_171516_001_001.jpg

London

IMG_20190904_190137_001.jpg

Hamburg

IMG_20170506_182105_002.jpg

Lommel

IMG_20180514_104846_846_001.jpg

Kutaissi

IMG_20190720_233121_001.jpg

Amsterdam
    Shot on Oneplus, different devices.

13. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Oct 24, 2019

Cheetosdust , Oct 24, 2019 :
    What the? Not only you learned really fast how to post photos, you posted a terrific one. :D:cool:

15. B.I.T.S.
    User of the Year 2019 Oct 24, 2019

B.I.T.S. , Oct 24, 2019 :
    I promise I will shoot new photos, but... I want to share this one.

Almost a year ago, in Gran Canaria. It has a short story attached to it... Tho is in Spanish, if anybody wants, I'll translate it.

Translated it... Probably full of gramatical mistakes, but I guess is understandable :rolleyes:

It was too dark. Impossible to shot. Besides, the wind and the rain would have supposed many odds against me. So I walked by trying not to scrutinize the inside of your room in order to discover who your companion was, if there was any. I almost gave up when, wandering by casuality, I ended up there. Almost everything was favorable this time, only too many tourists around, but I'd know how to dissimulate. My hand was shaking and right at the same moment I looked at you few millimeters over the gun, you turned around, staring face to face at the death. I wonder if you saw her on that instant, during that imperceptible fraction of time since I pulled the trigger until the bullet invaded your skull, turning off the lights.

LRM_EXPORT_32725893458868_20191024_195411646.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019

16. otto2

otto2 , Oct 24, 2019 :
    Yes, please translate, or write in spanish.

17. meatandy
    Oreo Oct 24, 2019

18. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Oct 24, 2019

Cheetosdust , Oct 24, 2019 :
    Oh this thread is off to a great start! The perspective and the gradient on the shadows/light is the perfect metamorphosis. I love it. And yes, please do write the story, I would love to read it. :)

19. sechinov
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 24, 2019

20. sechinov
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 24, 2019