Weekly Mobile Photography Challenge #14: Animals

1. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Oct 31, 2019

dsmonteiro , Oct 31, 2019 :
    WMPC14.png

Hey everyone,

We're back for another weekly challenge and, this time, it's all about animals.

Humans stop and pose for the picture, introducing an artificial component to photography. Animals, on the other hand, when photographed, are captured in their truest form. Because of that, there are some extra tips and tricks you might need. To help with that, this week we have @script providing some tips and some examples of what you can accomplish!

To make the challenge, well, more challenging, try to share pictures taken this week, rather than directly from the gallery. The idea behind this series is to invite you to go out and take new, amazing shots. And remember, it’s all about mobile photos. Also, as per @script's request, the following animals are NOT allowed: no cats, no dogs, no fish, no bugs. ;) You have to capture wild animals.

The best 10 photos will be awarded 100 raffle points that can be used to enter raffles. You can read more about it here.

Challenge Rules:
    - All photos should be taken with a smartphone, regardless of brand. Some weekly challenges may be specific to some OnePlus models, but the thread will be clear about it.
    - The photo should match the challenge's topic. Non-related pictured are not eligible to win.
    - Any photo shared by you should be your own. Any kind of cheating will result in disqualification in the present and any future challenges.
    - Each user can post up to 5 different photos each week.
    - While the photos are still yours, you allow OnePlus to use your photos for promotion purposes.

2. script
    Nougat Moderator Oct 31, 2019

script , Oct 31, 2019 :
    Taking pictures of your own cats or dogs is one thing, capturing wild animals is another cup of tea. Simply, because they run away, when you are getting near to them. So, you need some special equipment.

1) A blutooth selfie stick
    Pro tip. This one: http://www.fugetek.com/ FT-568 ,
    more info here

2) A gorillapod Joby 1 K
    like this: gorillapod 1 K

3) A ballhead (additional) for your tripod (my older Joby didn´t have that included)
    more info here

4) what is helpful: an older headphone with sound buttons

5) A selfmade styrofoam tripod and a binocular ;-)

6) Additional software. You can mirror one phone via bluetooth to another phone and remote-control it. Meaning, you attach your phone outside, choose your frame, and wait inside with your second phone till something interesting happens. I used this software. Its an additional camera app, and it does not work super perfect, thats why I prefer a bluetooth remote control hardware trigger. I took some good shots tho with that app.

Ofc you need some animal food, and some wire to fix the food in front of the camera, otherwise the animals grab your food, run away and eat it somewhere else.

Here are some of the pictures and video clips I have captured.

Screenshot_20180915-154759-01.jpeg

screenshot_20180912-184434-02_001.jpg

_20180914_164350-01.jpeg

Screenshot_20180915-164436.jpg

These 3 birds were captured with the remote app (#6) while I was sitting at my breakfast table.

The capturing phone was attached with the gorillapod to a chair. Important is, to have the camera always at the eye level of the animal, or lower.

IMG_20191016_094245_001.jpg

Later I have cropped the pictures.

Another possibility is a telephoto clip-on lens, or ofc the op7 ;-)
    Before the op7 I made my own styrofoam tripod with binoculars (#5). The following was filmed through a window and is a little blurry. The distance was ca 8 meters.

Here are some photos of the styrofoam tripod: Videos and movies and a short video.

This was also filmed with the styrofoam+binoculars selfmade thingie. As you can see, the focus is a problem. Still, its a good clip.

Better quality can be achieved with a selfie stick. (#1) You can move the phone on the stick very close to the animals because they don´t feel threatened by it, as long as you move it slowly towards them.

Here´s a hedgehog clip

and one of my personal favorite clips, a squirrel. I moved the phone super slowly towards the little one and finally was able to lay the stick almost on the wall, resulting in a super close and super stable shot.

Of course, if you prefer to take pictures instead of videos, just switch the mode.

The selfie stick clips and pictures can be awesome. Tho, you still have the problem with the focus point, as you are not able to re-touch the screen to get a new focus. Tip: take many many pictures and hope ;-)

The best results can be achieved, when you have your phone in your hand, without any extra lens, and no stick. But how can we get near wild animals close?

Behind a reflecting window.

When they're outside and your are inside, they simply don't see you. Then you can get this:

Eichhörnchen_final.jpeg

DSC_0364~2.JPG

And here are the final photos. They were taken with a special trick.

Screenshot_20181108-115409-01.jpeg

Screenshot_20181103-105104.jpg

_20181103_110041.JPG

This are screenshots of a slo-mo video.

They have a very special sharpness, and because of the slo-mo capturing you get many single frames per second. Later you can stop the video at any time, take a screenshot, and crop, till you get the frame that you want.

I am happy to answer questions on that matter.

Hope you enjoyed this,

Rüdiger / Script

When you have fed the wild animals for some time, they start to trust you, and you can build a true and honest friendship;-)

https://youtu.be/ikVlI3YBvYA

https://youtu.be/SFLHXbmUyQY

https://youtu.be/sPpBMrShbbk

hennes, pateltanmay, mjetje and 33 others like this.
  3. woSch
    Marshmallow Oct 31, 2019

woSch , Oct 31, 2019 :
    Animals - what a wonderful challenge ... but 'no bugs allowed' ... that's a really hard challenge for me ;)

4. superplus
    English POC Assistant Head Moderator Oct 31, 2019

superplus , Oct 31, 2019 :
    Yeah, they can be pretty wild, depending on the type... :(

5. Bhuvanesh Gowda
    Eclair Oct 31, 2019

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019

6. Avabtika
    Cupcake Oct 31, 2019

7. kubo1505
    Froyo Oct 31, 2019

8. sfomin
    Nougat Oct 31, 2019

9. kubo1505
    Froyo Oct 31, 2019

Starcommander likes this.
  10. sfomin
    Nougat Oct 31, 2019

sfomin , Oct 31, 2019 :
    sleeping in chernobil zona = dead

11. buddybhai
    Donut Oct 31, 2019

12. cdnfarmer
    KitKat Oct 31, 2019

cdnfarmer , Oct 31, 2019 :
    very cute write up @script
    I love this picture. The look he has trying to size up the nut.
    They are sooo cute. Your squirrely friends are so sweet. Here is a picture of a squirrely breakfast. :).

IMG_20191014_115552_1__01_001.jpg

Not part of the contest.

hennes, pateltanmay, Gabem880 and 8 others like this.
  13. meatandy
    Oreo Oct 31, 2019

meatandy , Oct 31, 2019 :
    What good are any raffle points when there hasn't been a raffle for nearly two months? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyway here is a butterfly from my backyard garden.
    IMG_20190916_160034-2764x3685.jpg

14. JelleZon
    Lollipop Oct 31, 2019

JelleZon , Oct 31, 2019 :
    same here :D

do bees count as bugs?

15. antonyjen
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 31, 2019

antonyjen , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Oct 31, 2019 :
    @script excellent explanation for this theme...
    BONUS video was awesome I love that little guy.. who takes the nuts with out fear [e]1f60d[/e][e]1f60d[/e][e]1f60d[/e]

jlasensiofi, Thendrack, woSch and 2 others like this.
  16. G_Ashutosh_Sharma_yXyy
    Honeycomb Oct 31, 2019

17. B1567887046719
    Cupcake Nov 1, 2019

18. Aaamit2018
    Gingerbread Nov 1, 2019

19. YRJ
    Marshmallow Nov 1, 2019

Starcommander, Thendrack and script like this.