Weekly Update 268: We roll out the festivities, talk tech and analyze Pete's aura.

1. Ruby G. Thinker of Content Staff Member Feb 2, 2019

Ruby G., Feb 2, 2019 :
    wuimage.jpg

Hello friends,

It’s been a fun week at the office. We are gearing up for our lunar new year break, so that means lots of celebratory meals and festive decorations around the office. My favorite is the plastic peach blossom tree in the office lobby, auspiciously hung with red packets. (There’s no money in them sadly T_T)

Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 10.15.54 AM.png

(The hongbaos hanging on the tree are not for eating, @Cheetosdust!)

However, it hasn’t been all fun and heehaws. @Manu J. has been busy following up on bug reports this week and is working hard with the software team to address all build issues. Thank you for your support and patience! If you really are overcome with emotion and need to vent, head to @David Y. ’s newly released software excitement thread! It will meet all your needs.

@Todd W. from the OnePlus TV team popped by again, with an colorful report on the latest TV technology developments seen at CES. He loves discussing TV tech with you all, so be sure to weigh in here.

As one contest ends, more start! I announced the Global Tutorial Competition results (playlist of all winning tutorials is in that thread) recently while @Shivang Joshi is hosting the Feb SOOP thread for the photography fiends in our community.

A few notables from our friends around the world:

Creative Survey of the week
    This week, I subjected fellow wordsmith @Dale F. to one of my off-kilter surveys. I asked him 5 questions, only letting him answer using colors.

Which pantone color best describes...

Your mood right now?
    PANTONE 11-4201 TCX (Cloud Dancer).png

Your favorite ice cream flavor?
    PANTONE 19-1321 TCX (Rum Raisin).png

@Chris dB 's aura?
    PANTONE 18-4032 TCX Deep Water.png

@Pete ’s aura?
    PANTONE 185 C.png

The word “burdenless”?
    PANTONE 14-4112 TCX Skyway.png

Feel free to answer these too.

Tech picks of the week
    Some of my favorite reads from the past week:
    • Excellent article from Vice about “filter bubbles” on Tik tok aka people being fed info that only reinforces their current worldviews. If you’re older than Gen Z, let me introduce you to the intricate social world of Tik tok. It’s like Vine, but emblematic of how internet culture is shifting.
    • A topic that I can talk about for hours if you get me going: Facebook and Twitter removed thousands of accounts and groups connected to malicious foreign misinformation campaigns. Anyways, Facebook allegedly has a plan to reduce meddling during election time.
    I’ll be gone for most of next week (Japan, woohoo!), but there will be something incredibly fun released on Monday. You heard it from here first. Stay cozy this weekend everyone – I've heard that many users are fighting quite the snowfall this year.

2. script Marshmallow Moderator Feb 2, 2019

script, Feb 2, 2019 :
    First

To thank you and wish you and all a Great Chinese New Year celebration time.

Have a good trip to Japan. That must be a great vacation place.

3. B_Wrath Lollipop Feb 2, 2019

4. GopalB. Marshmallow Feb 2, 2019

GopalB., Feb 2, 2019 :
    Hey...
    Have a great weekend, and a happy new year and have a safe trip... :)
    Do share some pics... ;)

5. YRJ Jelly Bean Feb 2, 2019

YRJ, Feb 2, 2019 :
    Nice weekly!! Have a great time in Japan.
    Heard that you get really good quality cloned iPhones, super cheapy! (Just Saying)
    You online on Saturday? Strange......
    Vlog incoming??
    Bon Voyage :) have lots of sushi :p

6. Ruby G. Thinker of Content Staff Member Feb 2, 2019

Ruby G., Feb 2, 2019 :
    Haha super busy time before I leave for holiday, so putting an extra day in to make sure I get everything done. :D

7. YRJ Jelly Bean Feb 2, 2019

YRJ, Feb 2, 2019 :
    It's okay! All covered, including the weekly. Travel in peace :)
    keep-calm-you-re-all-set.png

woSch, Cheetosdust, otto2 and 3 others like this.
  8. the_o2 Lollipop Feb 2, 2019

the_o2, Feb 2, 2019 :
    Happy Chinese New Year! :)
    Enjoy it,
    And have a great year ahead you and all OnePlus staff members :)

9. Shivang Joshi Starting Point Expert Feb 2, 2019

Shivang Joshi, Feb 2, 2019 :
    :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Aweeeeesoooome! We'll be waiting for some pictures, once you come back :cool:

Oooh, that's great :D

Thank you so much for the Weekly Update @Ruby G. :)

Also, Happy New Year @Ruby G. @David Y. @Crystal Z. and everyone else at the headquarters :cool::)

10. cdnfarmer Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 2, 2019

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019

11. G_plusone Lollipop Feb 2, 2019

G_plusone, Feb 2, 2019 :
    Happy Lunar New Year.
    Thanks for them tech picks and updates.
    Tik Tok is crazy
    Enjoy your holidays

woSch, Cheetosdust, script and 6 others like this.
  12. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Feb 2, 2019

NeVeR_SeTTLe, Feb 2, 2019 :
    @Cheetosdust is a hungry frenzy Cheetos :D

Thanks for the weekly update Ruby. HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!! Wish you and the rest of the crew the very best and lots of success :)

Have a great weekend everybody!!! :D

13. mspatil.92 Honeycomb Feb 2, 2019

14. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Feb 2, 2019

Cheetosdust, Feb 2, 2019 :
    Hello @Ruby G., it's always nice when you write the weekly, thank you for taking the time for doing it even with the celebrations fast approaching. :)

And I always love your reading recommendations too. About TikTok, please allow me to suggest this complementary article (TechCrunch).

Have a nice and safe trip to Japan - it's one of the countries on my bucket list. I'm sure you'll have a great time there.

Happy New Lunar Year to all that celebrate it and a lovely weekend to everyone.

Hehe, tooooooo late, I'm already on that ladder picking them up like ripe fruit.

Hmmm, deliciou... oh no, there's a bee in this tree. :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

15. gaster KitKat Moderator Feb 2, 2019

gaster, Feb 2, 2019 :
    That was a wonderful weekly update at all. Thank you for the update Ruby. I wish you guys a super Chinese new year celebration and have a good and safe trip to Japan and back Ruby. All the best guys. Also have a great weekend everyone.

16. TibiTibi Marshmallow Feb 2, 2019

superplus, Cheetosdust and G_plusone like this.
  17. meatandy Nougat Feb 2, 2019

meatandy, Feb 2, 2019 :
    Wow , There is alot to read up on this week, Be back later.

Thanks and have a great week in Japan , Ruby.

18. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Feb 2, 2019

Cheetosdust, Feb 2, 2019 :
    I don't know if you saw them already, but the aura spoilers are .GIFs.

If they aren't moving there, your screen is probably frozen. :p

19. SyberianXGamerz KitKat Feb 2, 2019

20. jlasensiofi KitKat Feb 2, 2019

jlasensiofi, Feb 2, 2019 :
    Wow, a weekly update loaded with many news, each one more interesting @Ruby G. A real pleasure to read them ;):)

I take this opportunity to wish the whole OnePlus team a Happy Chinese New Year. Enjoy it.

Good trip to Japan.

Never Settle.

Ruby G. and meatandy like this.