Weekly Update 272: We talk all things 5G and get passionate about our opinions

1. Ruby G. NA Community Manager Staff Member Mar 2, 2019

Ruby G., Mar 2, 2019 :
    WeeklyUpdate-Forum (1).png

Hey friends,

It’s been a mad, mad world recently. Lots of our team members have been in el país más hermoso del mundo -España- for MWC19. I’ve been holding fort here in HQ. But across the board, we’ve been bouncing with excitement about 5G. Did you catch a photo of a certain, well-protected device? ;) Let me give you a tasting of this week’s smorgasbord.

@Pete was in the middle of the excitement at MWC this week and shared his opinion on the development of 5G in our industry. You know how he is about design details, right? Naturally, he had some thoughts on foldable phones as well (I’m in agreement for the record). Even more excitingly for our developer friends, we’re offering to fund your project idea if you’ve got a sweet idea for 5G applications. Check out how to enter 5G Apps of Tomorrow here.

With all the 5G buzz, you might be confused about what’s internet hearsay vs verified fact about this latest technology? If so, I encourage you to check out @Dale F. ‘s whip-smart course series on 5G technology. You’ll learn a bunch and earn some nifty badges/certificates in the process.

Our monthly Shot on OnePlus series is one of the jewels of this forum, hosted by awesome mobile photographers like yourself. Thank you to @cdnfarmer for hosting this month and taking the time to write up some excellent photo technique tips. If you have a SOOP photo you’re particularly proud of, be sure to post it in the March thread. You might just win something!

My favorite parts from the EU staff posts this week:

20.00:
    We’ve just arrived at the party which is in a venue called Ultramarinos on Las Ramblas. Literally spot a rig of all of our phones stitched together which creates a moving photobooth which is INSANELY cool. I literally love technology and geek out on anything like that.
    See a photo of what @Lauren A H is describing in her fully caffeinated diary about MWC here.

Fueron pasando los minutos y cuando todo el mundo estaba listo era el momento de empezar, al no poder @Carl hablar en español hicimos una breve introducción en la lengua de Cervantes y de repente como si por arte de magia se tratase migramos nuestra conversación a la lengua de Shakespeare, como si en pleno Manchester nos encontráramos vaya.
    @One_Will9 gives a nice narration of the recent meetup in Spain and Carl's appearance!

A minha experiência com este tipo de feiras resumia-se a umas quantas idas à Exponor, nos arredores do Porto. Quando era pequeno, os meus pais costumavam arranjar bilhetes e íamos lá ver várias destas exposições. Lembro-me perfeitamente de ir ver feiras de auto-caravanas ou de barcos. Nada me poderia preparar para a escala da MWC. O tamanho da feira é simplesmente abismal e também o é a quantidade de gente movida pela feira.
    Read @dsmonteiro’s MWC account in Portuguese. I must say his writing is lovely in any language. :D

Mon truc dans la vie sinon, c'est Star Wars. Mon plus grand rêve c'est clairement de vivre dans le monde de Star Wars. Plus précisément : faire mon trou sans avoir de grandes responsabilités ou risquer ma vie en mode Rébellion, juste un petit commerce de pièces détachées pour speeders ou un truc du style. Il faut juste gagner assez bien sa vie pour avoir un vaisseau et quelques sous pour les vacances sur Naboo l'été et Hoth l'hiver. Être un jedi c'est trop contraignant je pense avec le code de conduite impossible et la vie d'ascète, faut pas pousser. Pour la période de vie c'est pareil, je suis pas trop guerre civile et Empire Galactique alors disons 100 ans avant l'épisode 1 ça m'ira bien, il se passe pas grand chose de risqué à ce moment là.
    Loved @Vito B.’s passionate spiel on Star Wars in this week’s french bulletin! It’s fun whether you know French or not.

Last but not least, scroll back up and look into the eyes of the cat in the header image. Do you feel like it’s judging you for spending too much time on your phone? If yes, then this weekend is an excellent time to spend some time offline. Worldwide, people will be taking a break in honor of #NoPhoneDay. Check out @David Y. ’s post here. It’s a nice initiative to try in smaller intervals, even if you can’t make the full 24-hours.

Survey of the Week
    This week, I will subject the lovable @Crystal Z. to one of my surveys! We’ll peek into the world of her music library.

What was the last song you listened to on your phone?

What song did you love when you were 13?

What song is popular in your country right now?

Feel free to answer these yourself hehe.

Tech Picks of the Week
    • Russia could pull the plug on the internet for everyone in its borders? How they would do it is frightening.
    • When I was in high school, I loved reading political cartoons from early 20th century newspapers protesting policies or corporate practices of their time. Until this excellent article from Vice, I never gave much thought to how internet humor is our generation's parallel.
    • Is data as profitable as oil? Wired analyzes how this modern adage is not as it seems.
    Hope you all enjoy the first week of March! The weather is beautiful here in Shenzhen. If you’re doing anything fun this weekend, we’d love to hear about it

2. G_plusone Marshmallow Mar 2, 2019

G_plusone, Mar 2, 2019 :
    Busy week and
    Nice Tech picks @Ruby G. Thanks :)

Interesting song choice teen @Crystal Z. ;)

3. meatandy Oreo Mar 2, 2019

meatandy, Mar 2, 2019 :
    Aren't you supposed to Offline for the day? o_O
    Maybe you should join forces with us in the
    Rebel Headquarters:p

Thanks for the week in review.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019

Ruby G., cdnfarmer, G_plusone and 2 others like this.
  4. Moin2200 KitKat Mar 2, 2019

meatandy, G_plusone and YRJ like this.
  5. YRJ Lollipop Mar 2, 2019

YRJ, Mar 2, 2019 :
    Whoever posted this on behalf of @Ruby G. Is cheating in disguise.
    Ruby will never cheat! She's offline since Friday :D
    Is it you @Crystal Z. ? :p

Btw, Awesome Weekly as always! Thanks for a great roundup.
    Have an awesome March ;)

G_plusone and meatandy like this.
  6. NeverGiveUpOnUrDreams KitKat Mar 2, 2019

NeverGiveUpOnUrDreams, Mar 2, 2019 :
    someone needs to get disqualified

G_plusone, meatandy and YRJ like this.
  7. YRJ Lollipop Mar 2, 2019

YRJ, Mar 2, 2019 :
    Who do you think it is?
    I really feel it's Crystal! She's been cheating all day :p

meatandy likes this.
  8. script Nougat Moderator Mar 2, 2019

script, Mar 2, 2019 :
    Ruby, thx again for the new weekly. Tho I haven't read it, because I have my phone offline. So, I can't say thx and won't reply.

Still, have a good day all, online or offline. Ah, and yes, I'm going to a carnival party today and will meet humans. Scary..... thank God we have alcohol for this.

Cheers

Ps. I forgot to mention: the cat picture is super great

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019

9. Its.Leandroo The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 2, 2019

Its.Leandroo, Mar 2, 2019 :
    Hoomans are scary, indeed. Who thought inventing them was a good idea? :eek:

Jokes aside, awesome weekly @Ruby G. !

10. gaster Lollipop Moderator Mar 2, 2019

gaster, Mar 2, 2019 :
    Looks like it was a busy week Ruby. Thanks for the Weekly update :) Good Weekend everyone.

Ruby G., Its.Leandroo and meatandy like this.
  11. MKT_IRFAN3735 Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 2, 2019

Ruby G. likes this.
  12. eye842 Lollipop Mar 2, 2019

eye842, Mar 2, 2019 :
    Thanks for the weekly, I'll play Survey of the Week with you :)

What was the last song you listened to on your phone?

What song did you love when you were 13?

What song is popular in your country right now?

Ruby G. likes this.
  13. prasannaraja2 Honeycomb Mar 2, 2019

14. arash9 Froyo Mar 2, 2019

arash9, Mar 2, 2019 :
    dude seriously?
    when you gonna let it go?!
    like the CEO i guess said we are some schmuck who ask about the update and we have nothing important thing to do
    actually we are bunch of losers that what he said [e]1f602[/e]
    you want regular updates buy an iPhone or a Pixel

15. GarageRamen Gingerbread Mar 2, 2019

G_plusone likes this.
  16. the_o2 Marshmallow Mar 3, 2019

the_o2, Mar 3, 2019 :

Don't know but this is the best bollywood rap song I ever listened which have some meanings...

And this is for 2019

And @Ruby G. Thanks for this thread, have a great weekend:)

eye842, G_plusone and Ruby G. like this.
  17. BeingIncog Marshmallow Mar 3, 2019

G_plusone and Ruby G. like this.
  18. cdnfarmer Jelly Bean Mar 3, 2019

cdnfarmer, Mar 3, 2019 :
    Thanks for the great update and your kind words!

G_plusone, Ruby G. and Its.Leandroo like this.
  19. jlasensiofi KitKat Mar 3, 2019

jlasensiofi, Mar 3, 2019 :
    Thank you very much for the weekly update, @Ruby G.

There are many good things that you mention!!!!! [e]1f603[/e]

Never Settle.

G_plusone and Ruby G. like this.
  20. TibiTibi Nougat Mar 3, 2019

TibiTibi, Mar 3, 2019 :
    Thank U. Updated.

G_plusone likes this.