Weekly Update 292: We prepare for the OEF, get new updates, and the US Community wants you!

1. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Jul 20, 2019

dsmonteiro, Jul 20, 2019 :
    WeeklyUpdate292-WeeklyUpdate-Forum.png

Hey everyone,

A new weekend has come, and, with it, the good 'ol Weekly Update. A lot has happened in the last few days, so grab a cold drink (especially if you're in the EU, like me, expecting yet another heatwave) and catch up on what went down in the community this week!

Android Q turns 3!
    They grow up so fast, don't they? It seems like it was yesterday that Android Q Developer Preview was released for the OnePlus 6/6T/7/7 Pro, but here we are, with Developer Preview 3 ready to download. As always, please remember that these builds are meant for early adopters and developers and may not be fully stable. Still, if you're up for it, you can download them for the OnePlus 6/6T or the OnePlus 7/7Pro.
    For those of you that are using the OnePlus 7, there's more good news: 9.5.7 update was released with an extensive changelog.

A couple of contests
    If there's something everyone likes in the Community, it's a contest. Well, this week we have two. @Funk Wizard is hosting a OnePlus 7 Series Wallpaper contest, inviting all creative designers out there to share their skills with the community and make wallpapers for the 7 and 7 Pro. Up for grabs are two really lovely prizes: the Bullets Wireless 2 and the Explorer Backpack.
    And on Tuesday, Week 2 of the EU-only #GoExplore Photography contest started, with the topic Never Hesitate. If you're not from the EU, don't worry, you can participate in the Mobile Photography Challenge with the same topic.

US Community wants you!
    Ever read one of my posts and thought "I clearly can do better than that!"? Well, now you can! The US Community is looking for someone to work with @Ruby G. and the rest of the team to help shape the direction of our community in the US. Be sure to check @Kyle K.'s post here and see how to apply.
    But if a sneak peek of some top-secret product concepts (and free refreshments and goodies) is what you're looking for, the NYC office also got you covered. Next week, they will be opening the office after-hours for those interested. Check Ruby's thread to know how to secure your spot.

A follow-up on #PMChallenge
    Still in the Mod Meet '19's aftermath, @Its.Leandroo shared his Deep Dive about the trip to Shenzhen and his 5-hour-long meeting, where he got the chance to discuss his 480 mock-ups for a complete UI revamp, across all Oxygen OS' menus and features. His winning #PMChallenge entry is now one step closer to being implemented.

A new ladder and a 50-year-old ladder walk into a bar...
    This week, we also see the introduction of a new updated user ladder system, introducing new user levels up to Android Q. @Crystal Z. launched the challenge: get there before the end of the year and you'll get a one of a kind customized community pin! Speaking of ladder, this week also marks the lunar landing's 50th anniversary and Neil Armstrong's iconic "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind" sentence, as he jumped of Eagle's ladder to the surface of the Moon.

Also this week
    • @KnightofScorpio, one of the US Brand ambassadors, shared a guide on how to get the best performance out of your OnePlus 7 Pro.
    • @Robin A., our very own Community Product manager, shared his travel journal for his adventures in Tanzania and on top of Kilimanjaro.
    • As Amsterdam's Camera Open Ears Forum was about to start, @Nigel Rijkhoek shared this behind-the-stages photo of the venue:
    OEF.jpg

That's a lot to digest! I wish you all a great weekend and hope to see you all next week!

2. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jul 20, 2019

Cheetosdust, Jul 20, 2019 :
    Thank you for the "quick" recap, @dsmonteiro :D

Good luck to those applying for the NY position and safe travels if you are going to Amsterdam - or traveling in general.

One question though: why are you opening your post with a shot from a movie? ;) :rolleyes:

Have a great weekend, awesome people! And don't forget to clean behind your ears. There are coins in there.:cool:

3. Joehad83 Honeycomb Jul 20, 2019

4. aryan_kh1 Eclair Jul 20, 2019

G_Huynh_Tinh and G_plusone like this.
  5. G_plusone Marshmallow Jul 20, 2019

G_plusone, Jul 20, 2019 :
    All the best for Amsterdam OEF and those applying to join the US Community
    Have a great Weekend everyone
    He's probably trying to remark that the moon landing was faked. It was also Shot in sets like the movies :p

Right @dsmonteiro

6. Shivang Joshi Starting Point Expert Jul 20, 2019

7. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jul 20, 2019

It was the other way around. ;)

I was the one implying that by saying it was from a movie. :rolleyes:

Fun fact: if I posted that photo on Twitter and said it was shot on a OnePlus device, chances are, Carl would retweet it. o_O

Classic OnePlus, always trying to get people out of school.

They started in 2013, when they recruited Carl directly from kindergarten.:D:confused:

Heyyyyyooooooo :p

SirBoss, nateavi, manuel19 and 4 others like this.
  8. Shivang Joshi Starting Point Expert Jul 20, 2019

Shivang Joshi, Jul 20, 2019 :
    Hah, they aren't wrong on their side. It's probably just me trying to enter in there at an early stage. (I even saw a current opening at OnePlus, where I might just fit well but...:sweatsmile:)

Yeah, they recruited him at the Fancy Dress Competition where he was dressed as a bee. :p

;) :D

9. G_plusone Marshmallow Jul 20, 2019

Ohhhhhhhhhhh Nooooooooooooo :p
    If it was the last week of March he would have :p

10. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jul 20, 2019

It depends. Awake or during my sleep?

I was lying, it doesn't depend.

The answer is yes to both.

Ayyyyyy caramba, the jokes, they are coming, fueeeego!

I was kidding, calm down. I don't think I can do better than that.... When I'm dead!

Lied again! I know I can, even when I'm dealing with the pearly gates.

"Yo, my man St. Peter, how is the WiFi connection up in here, I have a better job to do. What's that? Nah, Carl didn't make it, he went South. Yeah, he's hanging out with Ed Sheeran these days. Pretty hot where he is now".

11. Motley88 Donut Jul 20, 2019

G_plusone likes this.
  12. theshinybeast Marshmallow Jul 20, 2019

theshinybeast, Jul 20, 2019 :
    You temptress you.:rolleyes:;)

They need to choose a person who fits the requirements but also possesses
    1. A sharp tongue.
    2. Is well acquainted with the dark arts of sarcasm.
    3. Rhino skinned when it comes to trolls.
    4. Possesses a sufficiently cold heart and is cynical enough to cause surprise.

Add that to the requirements and you'll have a winner. :)

13. theshinybeast Marshmallow Jul 20, 2019

theshinybeast, Jul 20, 2019 :
    Almost forgot,
    5. They must like and understand good wine and appreciate beer.
    6. They shouldn't be too nice, a wee bit of badness goes a long way.

14. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Jul 20, 2019

You misspelled baldness.

15. G_plusone Marshmallow Jul 20, 2019

So did you :D

16. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jul 20, 2019

17. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Jul 20, 2019

Well, there really isn't any way around it. Well, I could always try to go for this look:

[​IMG]

18. G_plusone Marshmallow Jul 20, 2019

Or these
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. theshinybeast Marshmallow Jul 20, 2019

20. G_Parthesh_Jadhav_TNSs Gingerbread Jul 20, 2019

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2019