Weekly Update 316: Out with old, in with the new

1. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Jan 4, 2020

dsmonteiro , Jan 4, 2020 :
    Weekly 316.png

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the first Weekly Update of the year, nay, the decade! Seems like the last week of 2019 was pretty active so let's get down to it!

Out with the old...
    Fancy reviewing the year or the decade? @SoniaB asked people to share their favorite 2019 post or thread here, so you're bound to find some great content. Have you shared your favorite already?
    @YRJ took the task of reviewing the Community year! You'll have plenty to read until the end of the month, but if you notice he missed something, be sure to tell him in his thread.
    Brand Ambassadors @Schafer and @scotty137 kickstarted an interesting discussion: What are the best tech releases of the past decade? Have anything to add to their list? Share your thoughts!

...in with the new
    @Dresa91 looked forward instead and invited everyone to share their wishes and hopes for the new year in his Happy New Year 2020 thread.
    And with a new month, a new Shot on OnePlus thread. This time, @script is inviting you all to share your best water-themed pictures.
    @Impersonal created a new corner on the forums, where you can share and ask for recommendations. So, whether you want to share your extensive list of book recommendations or find the best place to visit next, this thread is for you. And since @Zach X. wants to keep the Holiday spirit going, you can even win the Bullets Wireless 2 by sharing your recommendations before January 6!
    @Gary C. recapped everyone's participation on the Zen Mode Challenge, but looked into the future by asking how you will achieve your goal of 2020 year with Zen Mode. Answer his question in his thread for a chance to win one of 5 OnePlus Type-C Bullets Earphones.

P.S. - All these thread but one were written by fellow users! Want to know how to craft these beautiful articles? @Impersonal wrote this beginner's guide that might help you better format your text. Have more tips? Share them!

A sneak peek before Jan 7
    @Pete had already announced that CES 2020 would bring a new series of devices into existence: the OnePlus Concept series, but, this week, he decided to tease us a bit more by sharing the first look at the new Concept One. What are your thoughts? Don't forget to visit Pete's thread and tell us all about it. And, if you want to know more, don't forget to visit again on January 7.

Speaking of sneak peeks, the new Open Beta 8 for the OnePlus 7 and 7 Pro brings a preview of one of the most requested features by our users: One-handed mode. Check the update thread to try it and share your experience.

And, to wrap things up, a final reminder for those in US and Canada: The 1st Annual Community Shopping Bazaar closes tomorrow, so don't miss your chance to trade your Holiday points for prizes!

That's it for this week! Enjoy the first weekend of the year!

2. Starcommander
    Lollipop Jan 4, 2020

Starcommander , Jan 4, 2020 :
    Nicely curated thread Monty. Loved the header. Happy new year ☺

3. YRJ
    Marshmallow Jan 4, 2020

YRJ , Jan 4, 2020 :
    Thanks for the very first weekly of the Year @dsmonteiro Looks like you missed nothing except...... :p
    XD

Have a Great weekend and a splendid 2020, folks :)

4. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Jan 4, 2020

G_plusone , Jan 4, 2020 :
    A Great Weekly update to start the year with.
    Happy Weekend Everyone ;)

5. keithnyc
    Marshmallow Moderator Jan 4, 2020

6. script
    Nougat Moderator Jan 4, 2020

script , Jan 4, 2020 :
    Great and complete fine new weekly, David.

This year and decade can start.

Have a nice WE all,

Script

Ps, you didn't mention my thread about my pen,is that right? I'm totally fine with that.

7. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jan 5, 2020

8. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Jan 5, 2020

Cheetosdust , Jan 5, 2020 :
    This is how you start a new year on the forums! :cool:

Well done, everyone who was tagged, you made for such a dynamic week, deserved congratulations for the highlight and for the content you have created. And thank you @dsmonteiro for writing such a lovely recap. You the man. :D

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend and here's to a second week of 2020 at least as great as the first one.

All the best, you lovely forumers! :)

9. Martin_VN
    Honeycomb Jan 5, 2020

Helder_DAlmeida and Impersonal like this.
  10. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Jan 5, 2020

Impersonal , Jan 5, 2020 :
    Thank You for the lovely recap...some great threads are running, a big Thank You Guys and Gals, that make this Community what it is, Awesome!

Also Thank You David for the shout-out, especially since I'm actually looking forward to find some more tips and tricks in the text input thread, where new and old well established legendary users (like @Cheetosdust ) are welcome !

Have a lovely New Year Week folks !

ps : maybe next time @Pete will use search before oppening a new thread... :p

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020

11. King2468
    Gingerbread Jan 5, 2020

DJKekz likes this.
  12. Cheetosdust

Many thanks for the tag and for not calling me old at all :p

I'll start thinking about something I can add to the thread. Before that, thank you (and everyone who contributed already) for creating it. I do see some useful information for members who are new to the forums.

Have a great week, my good man. :cool:

13. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Jan 5, 2020

I've read a great Saramago book recommended by @dsmonteiro , yet you are still my favorite Portuguese writer ! :D

14. Cheetosdust

Thank you so much for your kind (and not at all exaggerated) words :p

Yeah, it's a great book indeed. I don't know if you saw it already, but there's also a phenomenal documentary about Saramago and his wife Pilar. It documents their lives when they moved to Lanzarote, Spain. It's beautiful. Do give it a chance if you have the time. Here's a trailer:

"I have ideas for novels. And she has ideas for life. And I don't know what's more important". :flushed:

And here's the full doc on YouTube. It even has English subtitles:

15. jaba1404
    Donut Jan 5, 2020

16. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Jan 5, 2020

It's a great picture!

17. jaba1404
    Donut Jan 5, 2020

Bouncer71, Cheetosdust and Impersonal like this.
  18. Helder_DAlmeida
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 5, 2020

19. Helder_DAlmeida
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 5, 2020

Helder_DAlmeida , via OnePlus 7T Glacier Blue , Jan 5, 2020 :
    Becouse you didn't read [e]1f4d6[/e] another Portuguese writer, Camilo Castelo Branco, that wrote "amor de perdição" It's amazing and of course the TV serie "mistérios de Lisboa"! Far away more powerful than @Cheetoudust! Lol [e]1f602[/e] "Never Settle 🇵🇹

Cheetosdust and Impersonal like this.
  20. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Jan 5, 2020

Great recommendation Helder, thank you! I promise I'll look into it!
    *I particularly like classic, older literature... and surprisingly... poetry