Weekly Update 329: The OnePlus 8 series launch draws nearer

1. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Apr 4, 2020

dsmonteiro , Apr 4, 2020 :
    Week 329.png

Hey everyone,

A lot happened this week, so I’ll provide you the TL;DR – We announced the OnePlus 8 Series online launch event, a contest and a giveaway, a new Shot on OnePlus month started, and we invited you to join our first-ever online Open Ears Forum. Want to know more? Keep on reading.

Lead with Speed – The OnePlus 8 series is almost here
    Last week, some core Community members started teasing it, but on Monday @Pete made it official – the OnePlus 8 Series is coming soon. And there is a lot to look forward to. DisplayMate announced the OnePlus 8 series has earned DisplayMate’s A+ Display Rating and their Best Smartphone Display Awards, with 10+ Display Performance Records. Pete also shared some mouth-watering details about the upcoming flagship in a performance Deep Dive.
    There is a lot information out there, some real, some fake. @Crystal Z. challenged you to become a reporter and find out which is which. Join the Community Newsroom and have the chance to win a OnePlus 8 series launch goodie bag.
    This week, we also got to know the lucky Community members to first get their hands on the OnePlus 8 Series. @Zach X. announced the Lab OnePlus 8 Series review squad, ten hand-picked reviewers, from over 28,000 applications.
    Even with all these OnePlus 8 series news, this week also brought updates to OxygenOS for the OnePlus 7, OnePlus 7 Pro, OnePlus 7T and OnePlus 7T Pro.

New photography challenges
    With a new month, a new Shot on OnePlus challenge is sure to come. For April, we’re taking the challenge indoors. Over the next four weeks, you’ll have four different topics to explore: Through the window, Red color, Transparent and Food.
    For those in India, oneplus_india IG account is inviting you to take part on #IndoorsShotonOnePlus. The first topic? Create 8. (And @Manu J. wants to know your Music and Fitness habits in this survey.)

#stayathome
    Do you see a trend here? We want to be sure that you that you stay at home to protect yourself and others (community member @Drasm19 also wrote a helpful post about that), but hope you have the best experience while doing so, be it working or playing.
    For those working from home, @Manu J. shared a few OxygenOS tips to help you make the most of your time. But we don’t want your life to be all work and no play, that’s why we launched a GameBox giveaway, so you can hear more, play more and keep on playing.
    We also want to minimize the impact of COVID-19 on Customer Support. To help, @Tom B. announced our pilot Loaner Phone Service for those shipping their device for repair and Insurance extension to May 31 for those that expire between March 1 and May 30. Tom also shared a list of OnePlus Support’s top technical questions answered.

Some Co-creation exciting news
    Coronavirus made one of our favorite events, the Open Ears Forum, nearly impossible, but where there’s a will, there’s a way. With our first-ever online Open Ears Forum, we’ll be inviting 20 Community Oxygen enthusiasts from across the globe to join us in a face-to-face discussion about OxygenOS’ future.
    We also announced the Writers’ Club, a new platform to make our brightest Community writers shine even more. @B.I.T.S., @Impersonal and @YRJ are first ones to join, but we’re always on the lookout for talent in our community.

Extra credits for the weekend
    And if this weekly update doesn’t give you enough reading material, you can go through
    Have a great weekend, stay home and stay safe!

2. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Apr 4, 2020

Dresa91 , Apr 4, 2020 :
    thank you for the weekly update, @dsmonteiro:)
    Have a great weekend everyone and stay safe:)

3. script
    Nougat Moderator Apr 4, 2020

script , Apr 4, 2020 :
    Thx David :)

An exciting weekly, in a complicated time. Apropos complicated. Please all soop attendees, don't make it complicated. Just read both opening posts and follow the contest demands and descriptions. (Hey, I see my name here)

All the best,

DSC_0108-01.jpeg

Script

4. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Apr 4, 2020

YRJ , Apr 4, 2020 :
    That is a huuuuge weekly update @dsmonteiro :D
    Well, a lot has actually happened this week so thank you for covering everything.
    The Gamebox thread is one of my favorites from this week. I have seen so many amazing ideas already. Will be sharing my little idea soon ;)

Have a wonderful weekend everyone, stay safe, stay indoors and don't forget to wash your hands ;)

5. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Apr 4, 2020

6. the_o2
    User of the Year 2018 Apr 4, 2020

the_o2 , Apr 4, 2020 :
    Wow, that's alot happened in last week and hoping this week will be full packed :):)
    Thanks for the recap Damn Sexy Monty :D.
    Enjoy the weekend everyone.
    Lead the speed :cool:

7. Smit Golakiya
    Cupcake Apr 4, 2020

Smit Golakiya , Apr 4, 2020 :
    This week,A lots of new things coming in, Specially Online OEF is more exciting and Ofcourse Series 8 is On they Way...

Waiting for : Lead with Speed series 8

G_plusone likes this.
  8. Last edited: Apr 4, 2020

9. BeingIncog
    Nougat Apr 4, 2020

10. AYYAPUSETTY JEEVAN KUMAR
    Gingerbread Apr 4, 2020

11. jlasensiofi
    KitKat Apr 4, 2020

12. Some_Random_Username
    Honeycomb Apr 4, 2020

Some_Random_Username , Apr 4, 2020 :
    You might want to edit your sentence as this week brought updates to 7 Pro as well.
    It would also be great if kernel sources are released at same time as update binaries are out regardless of their rollout stage not only because this is a legal obligation as per GPL V2 but also because this is something that has been promised

Should there not have been any changes in the kernel, it would be great that it would be mentionned on time for all devices (as of writing OnePlus 5-series kernel sources are still marked as being OOS 9.0.10 ones while 7 Pro 5G OOS 10.0.4 and 10.0.5 (GM27BA -> EU model) and OOS 10.0.1 (GM25CC -> Sprint USA model) ones are... inexistent? To my understanding there should be either a new branch oneplus/SM8150_SDX50M_Q_10.0 or a commit to oneplus/SM8150_Q_10.0 branch.)

TheAyushJain and script like this.
  13. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Apr 4, 2020

dsmonteiro , Apr 4, 2020 :
    Nice catch, I've edited it accordingly.

I'll also pass the message regarding the rest.

Cheetosdust, Alvie, Batman360 and 4 others like this.
  14. Suraj3000
    Froyo Apr 4, 2020

Cheetosdust and G_plusone like this.
  15. cdnfarmer
    Photography Expert Apr 4, 2020

cdnfarmer , Apr 4, 2020 :
    Thanks for the update. Hopefully you get to have a restful weekend... Maybe a glass of port or wine or...
    ;):)
    A busy week for sure.

Have a nice weekend everyone. Stay safe.

16. camohan
    Marshmallow Moderator Apr 4, 2020

camohan , Apr 4, 2020 :
    Wow!
    Probably this is the lengthiest weekly update.

Stay safe, happy weekend.

Not sure if we need the traditional clock or the new one in the lockdown scenario.
    img-20200330-wa0038.jpg

17. SunilJasc
    Eclair Apr 4, 2020

G_plusone likes this.
  18. gaster
    Lollipop Moderator Apr 4, 2020

gaster , Apr 4, 2020 :
    Thanks for the weekly update David. Everyone have a nice weekend. Stay home stay safe and always think positive and keep in mind that there are worst situation for other people than just staying home. So we can be strong and make it through this as much as it needs.

Cheetosdust, Shivang Joshi and script like this.
  19. xenom0rph
    Gingerbread Apr 4, 2020

xenom0rph , Apr 4, 2020 :
    Exactly
    I am beyond p***d off at OP for the treatment of the OP7P 5G.
    We are treated like trash.

I am unable to use custom ROMs or kernels as they refuse to update sources and making them so different,
    Now my only choice for new phone is a 8 Pro but I rather not get that. I cannot afford to buy up front so cannot just buy a another phone and I dislike Samsung more.

G_plusone likes this.
  20. Mark Falsing
    Jelly Bean Moderator Apr 4, 2020

Cheetosdust, Shivang Joshi and script like this.