Weekly Update 338: Life at OnePlus during the pandemic

1. Amanda W.
    Head of Community Staff Member Jun 6, 2020

Amanda W. , Jun 6, 2020 :
    Week 338.png

Hi friends,

The Weekly Update has been a part of OnePlus from the moment the doors to our forums opened. Its been with us since before even the launch of the OnePlus One. By sharing the thoughts of our staff, the development of our products, and the exciting things we were preparing for our community, we wanted the Weekly Update to be a window into the heart of OnePlus. Thanks to your support and enthusiastic involvement, we managed to foster a global family of tech enthusiasts and ‘Never Settlers’.

What we love about the Weekly Update is that it allows us to give all of you a look behind the scenes at OnePlus. To us, it’s vital that we have a direct and open channel between our staff and our community. We couldn’t do this without you, so we want you to know what’s going on. I hope you enjoy the ride.

There’s no way to talk about life at OnePlus HQ, without talking about one of the great challenges facing all of us in 2020: COVID-19. It’s been a few months since the start of the outbreak, and we’re slowly but surely starting to give shape to our new reality. Since we’re all based out of Shenzhen, most of us directly knew colleagues who were caught in the epicenter of the outbreak.

Today, we couldn’t be happier that all of our colleagues from across China have been able to return to Shenzhen. During the most difficult parts of the pandemic, we’d check in with them every day on how they were doing.As things return to normal in China, we are all extremely excited to be reunited with our friends and colleagues. Today, travel within the country has resumed, allowing our colleagues to visit friends and family after months apart.

While OnePlus HQ’s doors may have reopened, many of our regional teams continue to work from home due to the situation in the cities where they live. In India, where most places are still closed and our team’s ability to go outside is limited, we’re re-evaluating the situation day-by-day. Similarly, our teams in Europe and North America have gotten used to working from home.Things are changing, and improving, a little every day. By supporting each other, we have no doubt that we’ll emerge from these challenging times even stronger. We are as driven and excited as ever to continue to deliver to the best of our abilities and look forward to sharing more of what’s to come with all of you.

The outbreak hasn’t just changed the way we present ourselves to the outside, it has also changed the way we operate inside the office. Every day at work starts and ends with one or more temperature checks. After passing the first check at the door to the building, our temperature is taken again before we’re allowed access to our floor. Of course, this is just one part of a routine that involves some of the most intense handwashing we’ve ever engaged in. It’s great that we’re all back in the office, but we’re still wary of the risks and challenges. Even between colleagues on the same floor, sometimes just a few desks apart, we tend to jump into Zoom meetings instead of crowding a meeting room.

Despite the challenges we’ve faced, it feels like we’ve finally turned a corner here in Shenzhen. Last week, we got together to celebrate Children’s Day with pizza, McDonald’s, and a couple of unforgettable (for all the wrong reasons) children’s songs. More than a celebration of Children’s Day, we celebrated our ability to hang out together. In these moments, we cherish every step we take back to our normal lives. As restaurant doors reopen around the world, and families reunite, we can all look forward to a more optimistic second half of 2020.

2. mspatil.92
    Honeycomb Jun 6, 2020

superplus and G_plusone like this.
  3. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jun 6, 2020

Dresa91 , Jun 6, 2020 :
    Hey @Amanda W. :)
    thank you for this very detailed and informative update:)
    great to hear that you all doing fine:)
    please stay safe everyone and have a great weekend:)
    Cheers:)

4. MrKulkarni
    Gingerbread Jun 6, 2020

MrKulkarni , Jun 6, 2020 :
    This year has started on a challenging note, no doubt. However, as things begin to open up gradually, we can hope for normalcy setting in, in the second half of the year. As this pandemic has affected all regions of the world, it is imperative that everyone is united in their resolve to fight this virus together. Social distancing, use of masks and personal care goes a long way in ensuring that we all contribute in our own little way in combating this critical situation.

5. harshil1903
    Jelly Bean Jun 6, 2020

harshil1903 , via OnePlus 7T , Jun 6, 2020 :
    Thanks for the update. Happy to hear that OnePlus HQ has been reopened. Let's hope the dust settles down quickly and everything goes back to normal.

6. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Jun 6, 2020

YRJ , Jun 6, 2020 :
    Hello @Amanda W. ,
    Thank you very much for the update. Though unconventional this is an update in true sense. With your post, you gave us an idea of what the situation is like. Our understanding of the conditions in China is limited to what we see and hear in the news, however, your account of the events is real and it paints a much clearer picture but more than anything I am glad to learn the everyone is safe and is adjusting to the new normal.

The pandemic has redefined our lives and it will continue to impact our day-to-day for much longer. But on the bright side, it has thought us a very important lesson and/or skill. The ability to adapt to changing times. We are doing things differently but are now self-reliant. Our dependencies on others have reduced. From cooking food to cutting their hair, people are doing it themselves.

These challenging times have thought us that nothing is impossible, we can continue to live and function normally, even when we are enclosed within these four walls.

While everyone is anxiously waiting for the conditions to stabilize, we have to continue following the instructions of the authorities and protect ourselves from the virus. I am confident that we will wake up to a better tomorrow until then stay safe y'all! :)

7. sarthak@sark
    Honeycomb Jun 6, 2020

oneMuhammad and G_plusone like this.
  8. jlasensiofi
    KitKat Jun 6, 2020

jlasensiofi , Jun 6, 2020 :
    Thanks @Amanda W. for the update ;)

The most important thing is to know that you are all well and safe :hearteyes:. The rest will come in addition and little by little we will return to normality, but the most important thing is health.

I am very happy that this is the case and I trust that it continues to be so :)

Good weekend and take care of all of you, please.

9. script
    Nougat Moderator Jun 6, 2020

script , Jun 6, 2020 :
    Thx Amanda for another fine weekly.

I have nothing to add. The pandemic situation world is ...... tough.

Anyways, all the best to all,

Have a nice weekend all,

Script

sommersy, buntycubal, ceport and 12 others like this.
  10. the_o2
    User of the Year 2018 Jun 6, 2020

the_o2 , Jun 6, 2020 :
    Thanks for sharing this thread.
    Didn't even realized that almost half of the year is already gone...
    Stay strong, stay healthy and stay safe :)

11. Anshu3110
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 6, 2020

Anshu3110 , Jun 6, 2020 :
    Thank you for the update, Amanda. :)
    Glad to know things are improving and everybody is doing well.
    Take care and have a great week.
    Much love!

13. abhinavrai555
    Cupcake Jun 6, 2020

G_plusone likes this.
  14. Swatiranjan
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 6, 2020

Swatiranjan , via OnePlus 7T , Jun 6, 2020 :
    Thanks @Amanda W. for the update. Good to know that all of you are doing well and how much you care about your employees.
    Do take care ! Hope people with new normal 'll cope up with the situation.

15. Batman360
    Lollipop Jun 6, 2020

Batman360 , Jun 6, 2020 :
    Heyy there @Amanda W. , good to know everything is going back to normal is China, still I would suggest you guys stay safe😊
    Tbh I find the weeklys' to be really exciting, every week there is soo much going on in the forums and it's just crunched into a perfect set of words forming up a weekly summary soo good. Please never stop this 😄
    Stay Safe! 😊
    Lot's of love to the OnePlus community and the staffs ❤️

Amanda W., Caomhin, SWAPPYONE and 8 others like this.
  16. controlcrazy
    Gingerbread Jun 6, 2020

controlcrazy , via OnePlus 5 , Jun 6, 2020 :
    OP always was my life saver, never let me down, when ever I ran out of charge i just need 15min for 40% charge, I am really grateful for this beast. Thanks OnePlus

Yogesh.p10 and G_plusone like this.
  17. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Jun 6, 2020

G_plusone , Jun 6, 2020 :
    Thanks for sharing about the lives of staff during this Pandemic.
    This a first time experience of this sorts to all of us except a few who have experienced previous outbreaks.
    The whole thing has been a learning experience and we can take away many important things going further ahead.
    Hopefully we can go past the situation together :)

superplus, Amanda W., Caomhin and 6 others like this.
  18. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert Jun 6, 2020

Bouncer71 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Jun 6, 2020 :
    Thanks a ton for this very personal weekly @Amanda W... :)

Glad you and most of the staff are back in office to see colleagues and for everyone being allowed to travel to their loved ones... :)

That's what I missed the most...
    To meet family and friends...

Not my colleagues though, cause I did see them every workday... So in that respect Corona didn't change the situation for me... ;)

19. deep0611
    Honeycomb Jun 6, 2020

20. Akshaysrao1+ , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Jun 6, 2020 :
    Glad to hear that Shenzen is on the road to recovery and all those who are associated with the oneplus team is getting back to normal.

May we never take friends, colleagues, work, walks, parks , nature etc for granted.

May we never take life for granted.