Weekly Update 339: Time zones, handwritten letters and wallpapers

1. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Jun 13, 2020

dsmonteiro , Jun 13, 2020 :
    Week 339.png

Hey everyone,

In the last update, @Amanda W. revealed how we wanted to bring the Weekly Update back to its roots and started by sharing how the COVID-19 pandemic impacted the way we work. This week, I want to take you on a journey across the world and give you a glimpse on how working across time zones feels like, while also sharing a few bits of what happened in HQ this week.

Working across time zones
    As some of you may know, unlike the rest of the Community team, I’m based in Europe. This means that, right now, I’m eight hours behind the rest of the team. As I get up from bed, @Amanda W., @Crystal Z., @Trista W., @Zach X. and @Fleming F. already returned from lunch and resumed working in the afternoon. Meetings need to be arranged accordingly, so that I can join them, with just a few hours of the workday available. But when you add the U.S. into the mix, things get even more complicated.

This week, our team started a series of training sessions around SEO, to ensure that more people see the great content that is created by our talented community members. Since these sessions are happening in the US, there’s no way around it, meetings in the early morning or late into the night are impossible to avoid for those in HQ. Meetings on the go are also inevitable and that’s probably why I didn’t find it odd to see someone running on a treadmill on one of my latest Zoom calls.

A sneak peek from HQ
    We don’t want to spoil the fun just yet, but a few staff members spend some time writing letters to a few of our users that have contributed immensely to making this community a thriving one – our moderators, community experts and, more recently, the Writers’ Club. Some of them already received the tracking number and started wondering what it is about.

IMG_20200609_184916_Bokeh.jpg IMG_20200609_184828_Bokeh.jpg

It’s not just this group of users that got a little something in the mail. @Bhaveee, one of the attendees of our OxygenOS Open Ears Forum, received a package with a few gifts and prepared an unboxing for the world to see:

The struggles of a successful campaign
    We know that our community users love wallpapers, but we couldn’t expect such a turnout to our Creative Wallpaper Competition, with over 6,000 comments. It may feel like it's just picking the winners, but there’s more than meets the eye. @Lilian L. is now going through all the entries, picking the best ones, but the selection doesn’t stop there. Once we have a shortlist, we’ll have to confirm that each one is an original entry before proceeding with the final round of selection. It’s safe to say Lilian will have a busy weekend. We hope you have a more fun one. 😉

Before ending this week's update, I would like to invite all of you to give a warm welcome to @Yvonne F., who is the newest staff member to join the forums. Yvonne is part of the Product Marketing team, as a project manager, and she will be sharing more info on the Bullets Wireless Z and Wireless Charger in the next couple of weeks.

Stay safe and have a great weekend.

2. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jun 13, 2020

3. Vivek2368
    Froyo Jun 13, 2020

4. IhaveaOnePlus
    Gingerbread Jun 13, 2020

5. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jun 13, 2020

Dresa91 , Jun 13, 2020 :
    no team here

next year

A1560809112456 and Batman360 like this.
  6. Soulsurfer919
    Honeycomb Jun 13, 2020

7. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Jun 13, 2020

8. Batman360
    Lollipop Jun 13, 2020

9. keithgpowell
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 13, 2020

keithgpowell , via OnePlus 3T , Jun 13, 2020 :
    Talking about time zones, when will someone sort out the digital clock, so that wherever the clock/ time is displayed, I can always have am/pm displayed. Also drop those leading zeros when it is am. Yes I know its a feature! It annoys me, constantly on the notification bar But custom ROMs can do it.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020

10. keithgpowell

Also another grumble. Why spend so much time on wallpapers - jeez. Its so personal, so I, and i dont need to know. Almost narcissistic. My wallpaper is jet black , Doh! A picture saves a thousand words, I suppose

Dresa91 likes this.
  11. Swatiranjan
    Jelly Bean Jun 13, 2020

Swatiranjan , via OnePlus 7T , Jun 13, 2020 :
    Hi @dsmonteiro ,
    Thanks for the update.
    Difference in time zone is ofcourse difficult in terms of communication.

Now, I also wonder what that tracking number is .

As a community, moderators are doing great job to engage users, infact users are doing great hosting wonderful threads. This indicates how strong the community is.

This was a great week. Hope next week brings more happiness & togetherness.

Your Avatar tells some story, Hope this'll be a theme of a weekend " tell your story".

❣️SRD

12. keithgpowell

No way! Keep them to yourselves - by subscription? And pray, what's not so cute about my avatar. Pffff!

Batman360, Swatiranjan and Dresa91 like this.
  13. keithgpowell

Your Avatar tells some story, Hope this'll be a theme of a weekend " tell your story".

❣️SRD

Oh no! Not more, I, me, narcissism!

Next, someone will suggest a "Post your Selfphie, here!" thread

Dresa91 and Swatiranjan like this.
  14. Wonderwoman13
    KitKat Jun 13, 2020

Wonderwoman13 , Jun 13, 2020 :
    Thanks for the update and for the sneak peek! :D

I really like the fact that the staff are writing and sending out handwritten letters, how cute! Indeed, shows the amount of love and value for the awesome contributors here.:D:) wonderful gesture, kudos!

And ah, a very warm welcome to @Yvonne F. :)

15. the_o2
    User of the Year 2018 Jun 13, 2020

the_o2 , Jun 13, 2020 :
    Thank for the thread,
    Enjoy the weekend :)

16. SeanPlus

SeanPlus , Jun 13, 2020 :
    Very insightful Weekly Update @dsmonteiro, and it's nice to see OnePlus include @Bhaveee's well put-together video. 😊

And thanks also for the information on the Wallpaper Contest - I was wondering when we might see the winners announced. I'm keeping my fingers crossed (...), but there were a lot of fantastic entries. 😅

17. deep0611
    Honeycomb Jun 13, 2020

18. A_rose_by_any_other_name
    Froyo Jun 13, 2020

19. Starcommander
    Lollipop Jun 13, 2020

Starcommander , Jun 13, 2020 :
    Waoh. Thats so awesome of OnePlus to send hand written letters 😍.

Thanks for the update monty.

PS cute dp