Weekly Update 341: New Beginnings and Community Creation Epics

1. Trista W.
    Global Community <3 Staff Member Jun 25, 2020

Trista W. , Jun 25, 2020 :
    WU341.png

Hi everyone,

What an exciting week this has been at OnePlus, even if it was cut short at HQ by the Dragon Boat Festival. While many of my colleagues are off enjoying three days of well-deserved rest, it's up to me to give you a glimpse into what happened this week.

Right off the bat, we had some big news to share with you all this week. I have to admit that even I don't know all that much about this liteZThing, as it's always been a top-secret project, even within OnePlus. For those, like me, who are not part of that team, there's little more to do than to join in on the excitement that's building all around the forums. Thankfully, I've already been accepted by the exclusive Instagram account, so at least I can get a sneak peek there.

Here at HQ, I've only been able to learn a few new details about the really cool custom materials I've been seeing around the office. (Sorry, still not allowed to share anything.) But, you can bet that they're really cool, almost as cool as Carl’s bee costume.

Just by looking at what my colleagues in the project have been sharing on social media, I can tell just how excited all of them are by the overwhelmingly positive response to this brand-new OnePlus product line. A big thank you to you and all the OnePlus staff members working around the clock to prepare the next big thing by OnePlus.

'It’s been a while since we’ve done anything like this’.
    newbeginning.png
    What motivates me most as a member of OnePlus' Community team is seeing how our users can always blow me away with their extraordinary talents. To be honest, when I was planning the jacket design challenge, I didn't feel too confident about it. 'Hey, we are just a community full of tech enthusiasts, can we really do this?' My team answered with an affirming 'Yes. Don't hesitate, just trust our community.'

Both the quantity and quality of the submissions we got went above and beyond my expectations. We received over 1,200 entries to the jacket design contest and 6,000 for the OnePlus 8 series creative wallpaper challenge. Among them, we have picked 2 winners for coach jacket design contest and 5 winners for the wallpaper contest. I cannot wait to purchase a OnePlus 8 Pro to try them out myself. Hopefully, I'll also be able to snag one of those Community-exclusive jackets too.

The highlight of the week for most of us here at the office was definitely the Dragon Boat Festival holiday. This three-day festival came at the perfect time, as we prepare for the coming weeks of excitement. During the festival, we usually cook a traditional Chinese dish called 'Zongzi', made of sticky rice and various ingredients. What festive snacks or dishes are a part of your national traditions?

zongzi.png Community team are enjoying a Zongzi Afternoon Teatime
    While some of us spent the holiday preparing Zongzi and tea, @Crystal Z. used her team in the sun to hike up a mountain. If her pictures are anything to go by, it must have been a stunning trip. There's a lot of hikers at OnePlus, and we're excited to hear from you. What are some of your favorite hikes? Let us know in the comments.

WechatIMG716.jpg
    Crystal's Mountain Climbing Trip
    That's all we've got to share this week. Have a nice weekend and enjoy your summer!

2. Cakepips
    Froyo Jun 28, 2020

Cakepips , Jun 28, 2020 :
    Thanks for the update @Trista W. and I hope everyone had/having a relaxing time during the Dragon Festival! (And before the exciting week ahead)

Those Zongzi's certainly look delicious.
    It was National Cream Tea day on Friday so, one simply had homemade scones with ones tea. Apart from that, don't really have a tradition...

Surely as curator/person who created the jacket challenge, you would get one/both too?;)

Can't wait to see what this litezthing is. Definately intrigued more with the mention of custom materials. :eek:

Hope everyone's having a fab weekend, ready for the rather interesting week ahead...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020

Bouncer71, Dresa91 and Swatiranjan like this.
  3. Aman.Bhardwaj
    Gingerbread Jun 28, 2020

G_plusone and Starcommander like this.
  4. SeanPlus
    Honeycomb Jun 28, 2020

5. script
    Nougat Moderator Jun 28, 2020

script , Jun 28, 2020 :
    Thx again Trista for a fine weekly.

Screenshot_20200625-122141(1)-01.jpeg

Cheers, Script

6. Swatiranjan
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 28, 2020

7. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jun 28, 2020

8. Batman360
    Lollipop Jun 28, 2020

Batman360 , Jun 28, 2020 :
    @Trista W. what an amazing update, got to know so much about what's going on in the HQ. Hope everyone will come refreshed after the holidays. The Dragon Boat competition looks 🔥 Congratulations to all the winners of the contests😊😊

P.S.
    Nothing can be cooler than this😂🔥😎

9. the_o2
    User of the Year 2018 Jun 28, 2020

the_o2 , Jun 28, 2020 :
    Thanks for the recap,
    Enjoy the festival :).
    Have a great week ahead.
    Stay healthy and safe.

11. manojsurya99
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 28, 2020

manojsurya99 , Jun 28, 2020 :
    @Trista W. Nice summary..
    And my favourite hikes completed till date: Brighu lake, Valley of Flowers in Garhwal State of India and Everest Base Camp..

12. meatandy
    Oreo Jun 28, 2020

meatandy , Jun 28, 2020 :
    Thanks for the weekly update , I've become fond of a treat called Mochi , especially strawberry flavor with the vanilla ice cream center.🤤 It's not really a traditional food here but I enjoy it none the less.

13. karthikblues
    Eclair Jun 28, 2020

Bouncer71 likes this.
  14. pavanvenkat
    Donut Jun 28, 2020

15. rajshah2412
    Gingerbread Jun 28, 2020

rajshah2412 , Jun 28, 2020 :
    Thanks for the update @Trista W.
    Looks like a great week and a well deserved rest and relaxation before the big week ahead with the launch and the Part 1 of #NewBeginnings and the fun of the Dragon Boat Festival and the yummy Zongzis

Looks like @Crystal Z. also had a lot of fun climbing the mountain and enjoying nature and rejuvenating and clicking those lovely pictures.

Hope everyone had a great weekend. I also had a great weekend cooking some yummy Spaghetti 😋 in various flavours and sauces with my mom and watching some movies with Family.

Dresa91, Bouncer71, Cakepips and 2 others like this.
  16. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Jun 28, 2020

17. SeanPlus
    Honeycomb Jun 28, 2020

SeanPlus , Jun 28, 2020 :
    Me too. Only a few days to wait! 😃

18. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert Jun 28, 2020

Bouncer71 , Jun 28, 2020 :
    Thanks for another weekly update @Trista W...
    I wouldn't like to be in the shoes of those who had to choose the winners of both Contest amongst the thousands of entries...
    Great job..!
    Although I would have liked to see a Denim version of the jacket.. ;)

Awesome photo @Crystal Z. :)
    Looks like some pretty fantastic trip you had there... 😎
    More photos please...!!!

I'll be checking the lite thingiething right after my one-day cruise along the coastline to Rovinj...
    Till then...
    Cheers from Plava Laguna/ Porec/Croatia...

IMG_20200628_154057_002.jpg

G_plusone, Caomhin, Batman360 and 2 others like this.
  19. JustASoftwareEngineer
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 29, 2020

JustASoftwareEngineer , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jun 29, 2020 :
    I love Zongzi. I would absolutely love to attend the festival, I know it'll be a while before international travel becomes viable, not to mention my lack of funds, but one day.. I will experience it.

G_plusone, Batman360 and Dresa91 like this.
  20. controlcrazy
    Gingerbread Jun 29, 2020