Weekly Update 367: Goodbye 2020, and Welcome 2021

1. Oliver Z.
    Head of Product Staff Member Dec 25, 2020

Oliver Z. , Dec 25, 2020 :
    Weekly 367.png

Hi friends,

You might be surprised to see an unfamiliar face writing a Weekly Update, so let me start by introducing myself. For those that missed my informal intro over at Wormhole, my name is Oliver Zhang, and I’m Head of Product at OnePlus. What you might also not know is that, even if in the background, I’m deeply connected to Community, regularly having meetings with @Amanda W. and the rest of the Global Community Team.

I’ve been personally invested in making sure OnePlus Community is the best it can be so when @Amanda W. invited me to write the last Weekly Update of the year, I couldn’t pass the opportunity.

When Amanda and I discussed the long-term strategy for the Community last year, we had big plans for offline activities and activations, bringing OnePlus users together like never before, but fate decided to play tricks on us. Still, we double down our efforts to find alternatives to ways to connect and engage. This week saw the culmination of that process, with the end of our 2020 User Festival, our special way of inviting you to be a part of our 7th anniversary celebration. If you missed it, you can find out about it here.

This week, you might’ve also heard that a product that seems to be highly anticipated by many of you just around the corner – a OnePlus smartwatch. @Pete just took it to Twitter and confirmed the watch is being released early next year. I also decided to tease a bit further and mentioned yesterday that our Accessories Testers group will be among the first to try it out. While I’m not able to answer your questions about this upcoming product directly, I would like to take this opportunity to hear your expectations about our most ambitious wearable to date. What kind of industrial design do you expect? What features do you look forward to? What price range fits you? Let me know all your thoughts!

With the Community Awards ceremony, we also teased some big changes coming to the Community Platform next year. This was something that we also discussed during our Community-focused Open Ears Forums a few weeks back. I know how many of you are passionate about the Community itself, so I want to invite you to also share your opinion on this regard – be it the kind of content you’d like to see more from us, the format that content should be, campaigns you’d like to see hosted or simply improvements you feel are most urgent.

I was so well-received at Wormhole after my quick interaction yesterday, that I think I will make my New Year resolution to spend a bit more time on the forums, talking with all of you.

Let’s accomplish great things together next year. I wish all of you Happy Holidays and an amazing 2021.

2. Nipu_1998
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 25, 2020

Nipu_1998 , Dec 25, 2020 :
    Thank you @Oliver Z. for the weekly update.
    Wishing all of you a Happy New Year
    Excited to see what plans OnePlus has for 2021.
    Regarding the watch,
    The OnePlus Watch is one of the most anticipated product for 2021
    I would like to see the following features in the OnePlus Watch
    1. Apple watch like square designs, that enables the user to have more screen real estate.
    2. Universal strap compatibility
    3. Dual-band GPS
    4. Inbuilt storage to store songs
    5.Heart rate and SPO2 monitoring
    6. Ability to reply to messages and notifications directly from the watch.
    7. Bluetooth earphone support
    8. Call functionality

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020

3. _Vikas.c_
    Eclair Dec 25, 2020

4. J4t1np4r3kh
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Dec 25, 2020

5. Overzee
    The Showcase Reviewer Dec 25, 2020

6. Kerkdriel_Online

7. McJader
    KitKat Dec 25, 2020

8. pillow35
    User of the Year 2015; Community Hero 2020 Dec 25, 2020

9. kushal__12
    Honeycomb Dec 25, 2020

Cassius N. likes this.
  10. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Dresa91 , Dec 25, 2020 :
    Thank you @Oliver Z. for the weekly update and your are welcome to interact here with us:)
    We all look forward interactivity with you:)
    Have a great time here:)
    Merry Christmas everyone and stay safe:)

11. Starcommander

Starcommander , Dec 25, 2020 :
    Hello @Oliver Z. Welcome to the forums.
    👀👀👀

12. Vansh99

Vansh99 , Dec 25, 2020 :
    Can't wait to try out the watch myself 👀 been waiting for something like this. Thanks for the tease and update @Oliver Z. ;)

I don't mind it being circular or squircle, but I favor circular design more. Circle attracts regular watch users (like me) to smartwatch industry. I have been reluctant to switch as I see no use for my needs. Squircle, however, might be better for interacting with the display like a mini dialpad.

Although WearOS might be controversial, the best thing I can think of for myself is having google assistant on the wrist. I use assistant a lot so having a quicker way to interact is definitely a plus. Not to mention synchronized notifications (if dismissed on watch / phone, it dismisses on phone / watch), ability to place calls and receive (even 3rd party like WhatsApp and duo), heart rate tracking etc.

One major major thing that made me stay on regular watches is battery life. Watches last over a year, not expecting the same from a smartwatch but 3-4 days (looking at you, TicWatch Pro 3) is plenty.

Price, if we think about that, $300 tops would be my preference but depending on the feature sets, I'm willing to fluctuate ;)

13. Shailender Sharma
    Lollipop Dec 25, 2020

14. Navdeep_Malik

Navdeep_Malik , Dec 25, 2020 :
    @Oliver Z. thanks for the weekly update...yes we are excited for the watch and i think of the following
    1. smooth as the oneplus phones are
    2. after having used fitbit expecting reasonably accurate activity training
    3. light and comfortable to wear
    yes in built gps would be lovely! maybe priced around...250 dollars
    obviously waterproof
    at least 3 day battery life
    something like a mix of apple watch and fitbit!
    a capacitive side button
    storage for music
    quick charge
    payment through watch
    accessory testers are gonna have all the fun i guess....

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020

15. Vivek_21
    Gingerbread Dec 25, 2020

Cassius N. and Danijel89 like this.
  16. Mr.pransh
    Honeycomb Dec 25, 2020

Mr.pransh , via OnePlus 8 , Dec 25, 2020 :
    Excited

Cassius N. and Nipu_1998 like this.
  17. Mr.pransh
    Honeycomb Dec 25, 2020

18. Loubear
    Honeycomb Dec 25, 2020

Loubear , Dec 25, 2020 :
    Firstly, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
    Secondly, I think a square design will be too much of a copycat of Apple and won't stand out, so it HAS to be circular. This is my preference. Other features would be to include a decent battery and processor (my current Huawei watch is slow and doesn't last more than a day). If integrating with WearOS then leave all the usual apps to Google (fitness etc) and focus on performance. The addition of a side button is good, especially if it can be customised. Actually, an idea might be the swivel button featured on Apple Watches. Waterproofing is a must and the ability to store music on it would be welcome!

Cassius N. and puccellino like this.
  19. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert Dec 25, 2020

Bouncer71 , Dec 25, 2020 :
    Hi there @Oliver Z. and welcome to the community. 🤗

Yeah, this is a fun place to spent some time after work..
    This forum is filled with not only helpful, creative, friendly, but most importantly with lovely, funny and interesting people from around the world...🥰

And I'm happy to call a whole bunch of them my friends..🤗😘

So enjoy..😁

For the watch I'd like to see some classic design...
    I mean something that goes with what ever you're wearing...

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020

20. Oreo.