Weekly Update 368: OUT with the old, IN with the new!

1. Cassius N.
    OnePlus User Ambassador Staff Member Jan 1, 2021

Cassius N. , Jan 1, 2021 :
    111.png

Hi friends,

Following @Oliver Z.'s post last week, here goes another unfamiliar face writing the Weekly Update;)
    Well, maybe not that unfamiliar, some of you may know me through several Community Events like OEFs, or, more recently the Community Awards, but in case you are still curious about me, you can find my intro here.

First things first, HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!! We all know 2020 has been a challenging and a unique year for many, if not all of us. The pandemic has become a pervasive and chilling backdrop to man’s inhumanity to man – and a timely reminder of our own vulnerability on a planet teetering on the edge. 2020 is forcing most people to adapt to new realities, but what makes me optimistic is seeing that people are capable not only to adapt but thrive on change. As we look ahead to 2021, the experiences of this past year give me hope for better times and new opportunities.

In a rebound week from all User Festival fun and being the first day of the year, without much to update you about, I decided to mix things up a bit and write my own weekly update - a travel journey of sorts.

I took last week off as a treat to myself :hearteyes:, both for Christmas and the New Year. I went to Yun'nan Province with friends, a landlocked province in the Southwest, situated in a mountainous area with high elevations. Diqing Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture was my first stop, finally checked off Meili Snow Mountain from my bucket list.

[​IMG]

It's totally worth the 4-hour mountain-road driving from Shangri-La and getting up at 7 in the morning with a freezing 10 degrees below zero. I can't even begin to describe how spectacular the scene was, only with a "Wow!".

By the way, the crest of the range rises to over 6,000 meters (20,000 ft) above sea level and the highest peak is Kawagebo (shown in the picture below), which rises to 6,740 meters (22,110 ft). Kawagebo is considered sacred for Tibetan Buddhists. Because of restrictions and dangerous conditions, none of the major peaks in the range have ever been summited.

20e1e2d9be95f01d0e041224b3e1590.jpg

“Sun Shining on the Mountain” – in Chinese we call it 日照金山 – which can only be seen at a specific time and place, is the breath-taking golden light falling from the sky on the top of the snow mountain. Locals say that there are about 40 days out of 365 days in a year when you can see the sun shining on the mountain, and seeing the golden light means good luck for a whole year. I was extremely lucky and grateful that I saw the golden light 2 days in a row, and now I am passing down the luckiness to all of you :innocent:.

After two days in Diqin, I drove almost 8 hours to Shaxi, located in Dali Bai Autonomous Prefecture. The journey wasn't too bad, there are amazing scenes along the way, ranging from Snow Mountains, Alpine Lakes, to Rocky area, so I took a bunch pics :smirk:, but decided to only show you guys 2, haha

ad5fef049e4225d0a5b84ed86abc9e6.jpg c9bdf13ee777c7e7fc96108c73b144f.jpg

Shaxi is a historic market town. The Sideng market square of Shaxi was added to the World Monuments Watch List of 100 Most Endangered Sites in 2001. Shaxi started as a trading point for tea and horses during the Tang Dynasty (618 – 907). It is probably the most intact horse caravan town on the Ancient tea route leading from Yun'nan into Burma and Tibet.

532305fcb94646b8b3a5967dff8ea05.jpg

It is amazing to walk around the town for a look at true ancient history as most of the building are 600+ years old and the history dates back over 1000 years. I feel like the most original scenery is preserved and life here is slow and quiet, you can be close to nature, definitely worth a visit!

daf7b64b23495561df129edf77908b4.jpg 1912aec6b48059ccfcd5eeefc96588c.jpg
    Then, my last stop was Lijiang. I went to another Snow Mountain, called Jade Dragon, its highest peak is named Shanzidou and is 5,596 m (18,360 ft) above sea level. Unlike Meili Snow Mountain, you can actually take the cable car and climb the steps to the Jade Dragon till 4,860 m (15,945 ft).

581828b81268f6c0094c45db28e2ee9.jpg

Yep, here is how I dressed, I remember it felt like 20 degrees below zero with the wind. And do you see the backpack's side pocket? It's an oxygen tank! You need it because of the high altitude and the physical exertion required for climbing. But I still decided to take off my ugly puffy down jacket...

f6b68defef514234d597078a67c4310.jpg

...because it's Christmas!!! Put on that red sweater and make this Christmas cheer!!!

I did not want to upload too many pictures to get you guys envied, hopefully you guys are having fun reading my post, and this can light your brand-new year of 2021 a bit. Again, HAPPY NEW YEAR guys, and, remember, the most fun part about making New Year’s resolutions is breaking New Year’s resolutions. Can’t wait to start messing them up!

2. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Jan 1, 2021

Stickied Post
    dsmonteiro , Jan 1, 2021 :
    Hey everyone,

As you all know, we just finished hosting our 2020 User Festival and, as always, we want to hear your opinion. We want to know what you liked, what you disliked, and, more importantly, how we can improve in the future. That's why we kindly ask you to fill out the quick survey below. The best part is that we'll be giving away 10 Community Jackets among the people that participate in the survey!

3. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Jan 19, 2021

Stickied Post
    dsmonteiro , Jan 19, 2021 :
    Congratulations, @atenaa, @X1599004353967, @Iamhasannaqvi, @Karun Deep, @ayemei, @anshul_agr.007, @Johenlal, @KhanAamer, @manojgudi, and @Abhiram18113. You were selected among those that filled the survey and will receive the Community Jacket. You'll be contacted shortly about the prizes.

4. Shelly_Singh
    Honeycomb Jan 1, 2021

Shelly_Singh , via OnePlus 7T , Jan 1, 2021 :
    Thank you and Happy New Year to all!! 🎉🎊😊
    Beautiful place. 👌
    I had also clicked the morning light kissing the peak of Dauladhar Range in Himachal Pardesh here 2 days ago in Palampur 1609510406925.jpg

5. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Jan 1, 2021

YRJ , Jan 1, 2021 :
    Heyaaa @Cassius N. ,

This was a lovely recap! Thanks for giving us a glimpse of the natural beauty from the comfort of our homes. I personally cannot wait to go on a vacation, and the mountains are calling me.

As things are getting back on track, I hope to take some time off in Q2 2021 and make up for the time I spent in captivity. The pictures are beautiful, thanks for sharing them.

Wishing everyone a very happy new year and I hope that 2021 turns out to be a good one.

Cheers!

Cassius N., MRTLima, MosheG1 and 14 others like this.
  6. AlienEye
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Jan 1, 2021

7. Shailender Sharma
    Marshmallow Jan 1, 2021

8. ayemei
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 1, 2021

Cassius N. and Helder_DAlmeida like this.
  9. SRD.
    KitKat Jan 1, 2021

10. meatandy
    Oreo Jan 1, 2021

meatandy , Jan 1, 2021 :
    Looks like a lovely trip and a great way to start the new year.

Cassius N., MRTLima, Appleboy and 6 others like this.
  11. Rajnish_Dhull

Rajnish_Dhull , via OnePlus Nord Blue Marble , Jan 1, 2021 :
    Yeah, submitted.

Please send the jacket soon. It's very cold here

Cassius N. and dsmonteiro like this.
  12. G_plusone
    Nougat Jan 1, 2021

G_plusone , Jan 1, 2021 :
    Weekly update on Day 1 is nice :cool:
    Thanks for the Breathtaking pictures @Cassius N.
    I wish I could travel a bit more this year :D

Happy New Year Everyone.

Thanks for the bonus David

Cassius N., MRTLima, drl431 and 8 others like this.
  13. Shelly_Singh
    Honeycomb Jan 1, 2021

Yea indeed buddy it was lovely trip and super start to new year🎉 after a dismal 2020!!

Cassius N. and MRTLima like this.
  14. iharshjjain

Cassius N., MRTLima and anikose like this.

Adesh.sanmukh likes this.
  17. ion2910

Cassius N., MRTLima and Adesh.sanmukh like this.
  18. Shelly_Singh
    Honeycomb Jan 1, 2021

Thank you and wishing you also a very happy 2021.... and submitted the responses 👍👍

19. OnePlusSanjoySaha , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Jan 1, 2021 :
    It feels great to see atleast someone going out & enjoy the beauty of the nature for a change amid this pandemic. Hopefully 2021 comes with new rays of hope just like the shining sun on the mountain. And the greatest resolution one can set for himself. Kudos !😂✌🏻

Cassius N. and MRTLima like this.
  20. kushal__12
    Honeycomb Jan 1, 2021

Cassius N. likes this.
  21. SRD.
    KitKat Jan 1, 2021

SRD. , via OnePlus 7T , Jan 1, 2021 :
    This was my first User festival and I really loved it. Thanks for organizing it in the best possible way.
    Just one input from me, "I would love to see some limited edition products in the prize catagory ( ex. Cyberpunk edition 8T, Steve Harrington edition buds /A special sticker/engraved for 7th Anniversary for all the prizes " would be really great.
    Thanks @dsmonteiro for everything good happened to me in this community in 2020.