Weekly Update 424: Big news in the gaming world, The Lab, and plenty of tech talk

1. Young L.
    Brand Manager Staff Member Jan 28, 2022

Young L. , Jan 28, 2022 :
    Week 424.jpg
    Hi guys,

Young Lin here. Nice e-meeting you all here. This is actually my first thread ever, so bear with me if I sound a little nervous. But I am genuinely excited to see you all.

It is a great honor for me to write the last Weekly Update before the Chinese New Year. Initially, I planned to share something about this beautiful festival (which has more than 4000 years of history), uncovering many fun facts and the traditions that are part of this special week.

However, what happened last week in the gaming industry totally shifted my mind… I'm taking a page out of the Writers' Club book and sharing some tech news with all of you – Microsoft's surprise announcement that it will acquire Activision Blizzard for 68.7 billion USD.

I believe, to some degree, everybody nowadays is a gamer. Thus, I would like to share my thoughts on this massive acquisition and why this matters.

Activision Blizzard is huge!
    In the official press release by Microsoft, Activision Blizzard was described as "a leader in game development and interactive entertainment content publisher." While it may see the studio is past its prime, with the sexual harassment and discrimination scandals within the organization, Activision Blizzard is no doubt still a major player in the gaming industry, with world-class influential IPs such as World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, Overwatch, and Diablo.

1.png

You can also tell the importance of Activision Blizzard from the investment perspective: Microsoft will acquire Activision Blizzard for $95.00 per share, in an all-cash transaction valued at $68.7 billion. That's a sensational number not only to us but also to Microsoft, one of the richest companies in the world: $68.7 billion is almost half of the cash reserve they had. It is in fact the biggest acquisition by Microsoft. As a comparison, it bought Nokia for nearly a tenth of that, at "just" $7.2 billion.

2.jpeg

This acquisition's most instant and straightforward result is that many Activision Blizzard games will come to Game Pass, a video game subscription service. Having Activision Blizzard's big names, such as Call of Duty, is definitely one more selling point. In the meantime, Xbox CEO Phil Spencer assured they aren't pulling the rug out from under PlayStation.

截屏2022-01-27 下午5.17.59.png

Anyway, I felt like it is still way too early to judge the influence of this acquisition. It is still going to take a while, expected by Q2, 2023, for both companies to finish the entire process. Let's stay tuned and see how it goes, but feel free to let us know what's on your mind!

Now that I have shown you how much I'm into games let's see what happened in Community this week.

A flood of The Lab reviews
    After the first threads dropped last week, we now see the bulk of OnePlus 9RT 5G reviews hitting the Community. Below, you have four new takes on this India-exclusive device from four different users. But before you start reading through the list, @Daniel D. wants to hear about your experience with The Lab has been. Enter this survey, and you can even win a cool prize.
    A flood of rumors
    Seems like this week also saw its fair share of OnePlus-related rumors. While we obviously have nothing to say about these, it's always fun to see everyone sharing their guesses about unconfirmed news.
    Just remember,
    [​IMG]

A flood of content
    I'm starting with everyone's favorites – contests and giveaways. The Writers' Club came up with a very interesting contest idea around the Camera Module. We've just hit 50 valid entries, which means the Community team is giving away a pair of Buds Z2, and three POC Jackets. Join the contest now (or just have some laughs with the entries).

If fun edits aren't your cup of tea, you can enter the Raffles for another chance to get the POC Jacket. Oh, and don't forget to submit your Shadow photos for the January Shot On OnePlus contest before the month ends. I hear that a new Raffle, a new SOOP contest, and a very cool contest for our EU users are just around the corner. Keep your eyes peeled!

No wonder @BobbyV8_ awarded @Cheetosdust as GOTW for the Writers' Club content floods in the latest UWIR. The group has been churning a lot of content these days. I don't want to make this WU even longer, so I'll share just a few of the threads that might benefit you the most:
    That's it for this week. It's time to join the fun and play some WikiTrivia.

2. Shailender Sharma
    Nougat Jan 28, 2022

3. Starcommander
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9RT 5G Writers' Club Jan 28, 2022

4. GandeDeSa
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 28, 2022

GandeDeSa , Jan 28, 2022 :
    Imposing how the video game industry completely surpassed any entertainment industry with this huge business.

5. Abdul Basith2
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 28, 2022

F1642013156437 likes this.
  6. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Community Expert Writers' Club Jan 28, 2022

YRJ , Jan 28, 2022 :
    Hi @Young L. ,

Welcome to the community. What a way to start your forum journey. Not only is it an action packed weekly update but there's also 25% extra content about Activision’s acquisition, we all love freebies and one in a weekly update is definitely appreciated so thank you for that!

Love how you summarised the tech news, I hope you stick around the forums and continue to share with us things you are passionate about, as and when you can.

There have been a lot of reviews coming in on the past weeks, Lab and Lab² reviews are keeping us entertained. Kudos to the reviewers for cooking up great content.

Was that for my Nord 2T thread? :D

The rumor mill has been running at full capacity, so I personally am looking forward to seeing how many of them turn into an actual product. Fun and busy times ahead but for now have an awesome weekend all!

It's time to unwind and relax before the next week begins :cool:

7. Overzee
    Moderator, The Showcase Reviewer Moderator Jan 28, 2022

Overzee , Jan 28, 2022 :
    Thanks @Young L. for taking care of this Weekly Update, I'm still curious about the history of Chinese New Year. Another time maybe, anyway have a great weekend!
    Sounds great, will do!
    Saw a lot of great entries, got an idea in the back of my mind, but lacking free time to design it...

8. PhotoPicker
    Best Review Of The Year Award 2021 Jan 28, 2022

9. Dhruv Kashyap
    KitKat Jan 28, 2022

10. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Community Expert Jan 28, 2022

Dresa91 , Jan 28, 2022 :
    Hey @Young L. :)
    Congrats for your first post in the community:)
    And thanks formten interesting weekly update:)

happy weekend everyone and stay safe:)
    Cheers
    ☕️🤗

11. script
    Moderator Moderator Jan 28, 2022

script , Jan 28, 2022 :
    Hey, thx for the fine weekly. Packed!! You really made a summary of everything!!

We're looking forward to the final shadow pics, and the February SoOP contest is only a few days away.....

What again was that special contest for EU? ...... Very excited. It's good that not all great stuff happens in other parts of the world. :)

Cheers, and welcome again,

Script

12. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Jan 28, 2022

atenaa, jlasensiofi, TibiTibi and 5 others like this.
  13. DarshanMeniya
    OnePlus TV Product Ninja 2021 Jan 29, 2022

14. Girish.Pranav
    KitKat Jan 29, 2022

McJader likes this.
  15. Princeshh1
    Honeycomb Jan 29, 2022

16. the_o2
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jan 29, 2022

the_o2 , Jan 29, 2022 :
    [​IMG]
    If the news comes from Metaverse then it must be true :p:cool:

Welcome to the community :):D

17. ariblaze
    Jelly Bean Jan 29, 2022

ariblaze , Jan 29, 2022 :

Hi @Young L. - congratulations on your first post and welcome to the community.

Just wanted to confirm something. Isn't the post "Top 5 Android Launchers to delight you right now!" written by @CosmicPaladin ?

18. Ranjit2206
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 29, 2022

P1644049526931 likes this.
  19. KaustubhNaik95
    Honeycomb Jan 29, 2022