Weird and Illegal Clauses in the EU Warranty

1. PLPeeters
    KitKat Dec 3, 2014

PLPeeters , Dec 3, 2014 :
    Damn, forgot to change it after my copy/paste for formatting purposes. Done ;) Not the best title though, any ideas?

2. RonaldM
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 15, 2014

3. ronoldo
    KitKat Dec 15, 2014

Silverchaoz likes this.
  4. vpi
    Gingerbread Mar 1, 2015

vpi , Mar 1, 2015 :
    Has this problem been fixed? I had to pay shipping costs for returning a OPO with defective hardware and I found it a bit unfair.. now it turns out it was a bit illegal too

5. PLPeeters
    KitKat Mar 2, 2015

PLPeeters , Mar 2, 2015 :
    Nope, not fixed yet, apparently. It's a shame you had to pay for your return. Just by curiosity: did you return the phone for a replacement or a refund? You shouldn't have to pay in both cases, since you're in the UK, but I just want to assess whether they broke UK or EU law here. Also, did your support representative acknowledge the fact that the hardware was defective before creating the RMA?

6. vpi
    Gingerbread Mar 3, 2015

vpi , Mar 3, 2015 :
    My RMA case was a refund and the RMA reason reported by OnePlus was "Hardware". I think they broke the UK law in that case right?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015

7. gianstevens
    Gingerbread Mar 3, 2015

PLPeeters likes this.
  8. PLPeeters
    KitKat Mar 4, 2015

PLPeeters , Mar 4, 2015 :
    That's quite vague, but it looks like it. Could you PM me the support ticket and/or RMA number(s)? I'll see what I can do.

9. corneelvp
    Cupcake Mar 8, 2015

corneelvp , Mar 8, 2015 :
    (Not sure if this is the right place to ask for help, I can move my post elsewhere if needed):

I am currently in a dispute with a member of the OnePlus support team- my headphone port is malfunctioning (only right channel plays, left is silent- without any visible external damage or any known reason). I have provided video proof of my problem but have been told the repair costs will not be covered by the warranty. When asked for a reason I was told it was because I 'did not use official OnePlus One earphones' and was quoted this from the warranty:

'VI. Defects or damage resulting from the use of the product in conjunction or connection with accessories, products, or ancillary/peripheral equipment not furnished or approved by OnePlus.'

Is this even allowed- to void warranty based on not using official earphones? Aren't all 3.5mm male jack conform with any 3.5mm female port? Moreover, the OnePlus does not ship with any earphones and at the time I bought my OnePlus (9th September) no official earphones had even been released!
    Is there anything in Belgian/EU law that can help me out here?
    Would greatly appreciate any help!

Greetings,
    corneelvp

10. racerx67
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 29, 2015

racerx67 , Mar 29, 2015 :

Sorry if this is a bit late.. BUT as OnePlus do not ship with headphones you are correct. They have supplied a product that is not fit for use within EU law. I would call your local trading standards offices and hand them copies of your emails with OnePlus and let them deal with it.. They will fight on your behalf if it is anything like the UK which also has to comply with most EU regulations too..

They should fight for you and you will not need to take legal action yourself.

@Carl @David S. I think neither of you guys take stuff like this seriously... Personally I think supplying illegal adaptors and chargers into the UK stinks and as a business I feel you should be made to comply with the laws fully or be fined/ barred from import into the EU!

11. GuW
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2015

GuW , Mar 29, 2015 :
    Does anyone know how well the charger comply with the EMC directives?

My suspision is that it doesnt, all "wallwart" switching powersupply's struggle with this, and it would be fun to see one measured up in a lab

12. JJ101
    Cupcake Jun 29, 2015

JJ101 , Jun 29, 2015 :

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015

13. GeesRiK
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 29, 2015

GeesRiK , Jun 29, 2015 :
    I'm still waiting for a plug, let along a UK 3 pin one! Its coming up to a year now. :( 25th June I'll hold a min's silence for the plug that went AWOL.

OnePlus say its DHL's fault, DHL say its OnePlus fault. And thats that so both say... :(

14. argonauta.dus
    Cupcake Jul 6, 2016

argonauta.dus , Jul 6, 2016 :
    Thanks @PLPeeters for the 3d. Is very usefull.
    I had a question for everyone. I'm going to buy a op3 in uk store. I'm going to buy a op3 in uk store. Currently, I live between England and Italy. If I have a problem when I'm in Italy, I would have problems to contact support?

PLPeeters likes this.
  15. ayaorei
    Gingerbread Jul 6, 2016

PLPeeters likes this.
  16. superplus
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Jul 6, 2016

superplus , Jul 6, 2016 :
    I don't think it should be an issue, since the order will still be under your OnePlus account, regardless of your physical location; even if you should need to RMA, support will confirm the address for collection/delivery, because you could have just moved (country) since purchasing your device

17. argonauta.dus
    Cupcake Jul 6, 2016

argonauta.dus , Jul 6, 2016 :
    Thank you. My first hope is that no issue will arise

superplus likes this.