Sound Weird click sound when recording audio/video on OnePlus 5T

1. G1511272756786
    Cupcake Dec 1, 2017

G1511272756786 , Dec 1, 2017 :
    Hi!

I found this issue someone posted on reddit, and it also happens to me. I need help to know if it is a hardware issue to return the phone, so im moving it around.

Here it is:

Hey everyone,

I got my 5T two days ago. Earlier today I recorded my first video using it and I noticed something weird: There is a noticeable "click" sound that happens at around 2-3 seconds in. I tried recording audio (using the default app and another one) and the exact thing happens at the exact same time every single time: At 2-3 seconds from the beginning, there is a click sound in the recorded audio, I captured it on video here:

Do any of you suffer from the same problem? Do you think it's a software problem or a physical defect (in the latter case, how come it happens at the exact same time and the recording is flawless otherwise?)

Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017

2. G1511272756786
    Cupcake Dec 1, 2017

3. G1511272756786
    Cupcake Dec 1, 2017

4. crisv
    Cupcake Dec 1, 2017

G1511272756786 likes this.
  5. G1511272756786
    Cupcake Dec 1, 2017

Thanks for answering! Have you heard the examples on my last post and then heard your recordings with loud volume? I just want to make sure and then I will order my replacement!

6. crisv
    Cupcake Dec 1, 2017

crisv , Dec 1, 2017 :
    Yup I heard your samples, don't get the click around the 2 sec mark; even with the source at high volumes.

G1511272756786 likes this.
  7. G1511272756786
    Cupcake Dec 1, 2017

Thanks again, I will be returning this device (15 days return) and buy a new one. :)

crisv likes this.
  8. Nok1a
    Cupcake Dec 2, 2017

Nok1a , Dec 2, 2017 :
    I have the same problem, but I don't think is an issue of the phone itself it might be about software?

9. Siguchi
    Eclair Dec 2, 2017

Siguchi , Dec 2, 2017 :
    Hey guys,

I'm the person who posted the issue on reddit and who the OP mentioned. The last few days, I did a few tests and I discovered the cause of the issue. However, I'm really not sure if it's software related or hardware.

The cause is the following. Every time the phone speaker activates and "plays" a sound (even if the volume is all the way down), it will shut down about three seconds after that sound ends. Just before shutting down, it does a small click sound then goes off. You can actually hear what I'm talking about if you go to a completely silent environment and playing a notification sound while holding the speaker next to your ear (at low volume so your ear can pick up the sounds after): you'll hear some white noise for 2-3 seconds followed by a click then the white noise goes away. From what I understand, this behavior is somewhat normal (I tested on my Nexus 6 and it does the same).

Somehow, the phone's mic picks up the click sound and that's what you hear when you playback the audio/video you recorded (if the phone plays other sounds during the recording, you'll actually hear a new click around 2-3 seconds after each sound stops playing). These are the facts that I came around during the last few days.

Now, about the potential causes. I can think of three possible causes:
    - The speaker is faulty and the white noise and click it generates are too loud (hardware issue).
    - The microphone is the faulty one and it is too sensitive which makes it pick up even extremely low noises (hardware issue).
    - There is a software bug somewhere that is causing the click to be registered. The bug can be, for instance, a bug in the level of sensitivity of the microphone (if we suppose that it's configured via software).

Those are my findings. If by any chance you can make the technical support of OnePlus aware of this, it might help solve the problem.

Note that, at this time and based on the fact that someone said their phone doesn't have the problem, I think your safest bet is to request a refund and return the phone (then buy a new one). We can't be sure that it's a software issue and even if it is, there is no guarantee that OnePlus will address it.

10. G_Dipesh_Parmar_LqES
    Cupcake Jun 30, 2018

11. Skizofrenic
    Cupcake Mar 8, 2019