We're Going All In 5G

1. Pete
    CEO Staff Member Mar 16, 2020

Pete , Mar 16, 2020 :
    all in 5G.png
    Hi everyone,

Today I want to speak about our commitment to 5G and our long term investment. Since we started our research back in 2016, we had one commitment in mind which was to work towards bringing innovative 5G technology to users around the globe. We’ve been investing in 5G for several years as a top priority in our product strategy, and we see this as the promising direction going forward.

I’m proud to announce that our next launch will have a full-fledged 5G lineup. We also have been investing USD 30 Million towards developing 5G research labs and further drive product innovation efforts to take our commitment forward. We have set up two 5G labs to push 5G technology and adoption forward in global wide, allowing OnePlus users to enjoy fast and smooth experiences on 5G.

A lot has happened since we first started work on 5G - from beginning our lead in 5G research in as early as 2016 to making our next launch lineup 5G ready. During this journey, we have made many firsts throughout the 5G era, such as the world’s first 5G tweet, and our display of 5G cloud gaming which some of you may have experienced at MWC 2019. Soon after that, we released our first 5G device, the OnePlus 7 Pro in the UK with EE and then in Finland with Elisa. And finally, towards the end of 2019, the OnePlus 7 Pro 5G became the first 5G smartphone to be launched in USA with Sprint.

Following the dawn of the 5G era, I believe that the user experience of smartphones will change accordingly. I believe that the various qualities of 5G like low latency and cloud services will help us achieve a truly burdenless experience in daily use. 5G communications are still at an early stage of development which gives us a lot of scope for innovations and improvement.

To support both hardware and software research and development, we started operations at our 5G labs in Shenzhen and Taipei where our main focus is to provide a better user experience with 5G on OnePlus devices. Moreover, we’re now also conducting 5G testing efforts at our new R&D center in Hyderabad, India, which was established last year.

We’ve achieved many firsts with 5G, and we’re glad to have shared that experience with you. Now, as we take a fresh step forward with global 5G support across our next product lineup, and with our commitment towards R&D in our 5G labs, I invite you to be a part of this journey.

We’re going all in 5G. Never Settle.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020

2. bagufix
    Gingerbread Mar 16, 2020

3. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Mar 16, 2020

Dresa91 , Mar 16, 2020 :
    Let’s see when we can use 5G in every country :rolleyes:

4. cdnfarmer
    Photography Expert Mar 16, 2020

cdnfarmer , Mar 16, 2020 :
    Definitely an interesting era.. Congrats on the research lab. And the many firsts in 5G. Looking forward to it being available in more countries, including Canada. ;)

It will be nice to have a device here to test out the 5G infrastructure that were installed in the past 4 years.

Overtime, it would be nice to see the outcome of the research and testing.

Best of luck in the endeavours.

5. Abhishek654
    Honeycomb Mar 16, 2020

6. Some_Random_Username
    Honeycomb Mar 16, 2020

7. Louioo
    Honeycomb Mar 16, 2020

Louioo , Mar 16, 2020 :
    Very excited for the future of 5G. I just hope the level of support for this increases, as us 7 Pro 5G users have been a little 'left behind' when it comes to updates and communication.

8. whoareyouxda
    Eclair Mar 16, 2020

9. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Mar 16, 2020

YRJ , Mar 16, 2020 :
    Sounds like an interesting era indeed. But given that even 4G failed to achieved it max potential I am not very optimistic.

Nevertheless, all the best.

10. Briana Sophie
    Donut Mar 16, 2020

Briana Sophie , Mar 16, 2020 :
    W
    What happened to 5G apps of tomorrow!!?

11. matthu.2711
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Mar 16, 2020

12. whoareyouxda
    Eclair Mar 16, 2020

whoareyouxda , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 16, 2020 :
    no, he very clearly means "first in the USA"

OTHERWISE

he would have mentioned the Sprint model along side the EE/Elisa model.

O1584461656632 and G_plusone like this.

14. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Mar 16, 2020

G_plusone , Mar 16, 2020 :
    Nice @Pete looking forward to trying 5G devices in the next couple of years ;)
    The work OnePlus does now would be rewarded in the future when 5G becomes mainstream everywhere

15. Starcommander
    Lollipop Mar 16, 2020

Starcommander , Mar 16, 2020 :
    Thanks @Pete
    I kinda agree with what @YRJ said, the 5G requires a lot of network tower optimization by our carriers than OnePlus.

Its a great step that u took to implement 5G in a OnePlus device but as long as we don't have 5G carrier, there is nothing much we can be excited about.

May be, you should introduce OnePlus 5G sim cards and start carrier service as well :p

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020

16. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Mar 16, 2020

Impersonal , Mar 16, 2020 :
    5G revolution will primerly impact countries, with old, outdated or poor internet infrastructure, USA and especially Germany come to mind, I've visited and one of my friends living there, and he had a "top notch" 10mbs connection for around 50€ 😆, why !?.... because internet access was established in the 90's using 90's tech...
    Countries with infrastructure developed in the last 10-20 years, don't actually need 5G, where I live, we have fiber-optic internet, guaranteed 1000mbs, bundled up with cable tv and hbo go, for around 10€... but as I said, 5G will enable millions of people to also have the chance to experience such speeds..

In my case everywhere in the city, there's wifi, I only use carrier internet when out of town, we already have 5G in the City, yet no one is using it, because it's in it's infancy and besides the price (30€) ain't stable or constant or reliable...

So although I salute OnePlus commitment to 5G it would have been nice to have a 4G alternative, Snapdragon is at fault because they made their latest chip bundled with the 5G modem, it's bigger, more resources consuming and more expensive... All because of a feature I and millions more don't actually have a need for at this point....

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020

17. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Mar 16, 2020

Dresa91 , Mar 16, 2020 :
    true!

18. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Mar 16, 2020

Cheetosdust , Mar 16, 2020 :
    True, unless that future involves bots. :rolleyes:o_O

19. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Mar 16, 2020

Impersonal , Mar 16, 2020 :
    You've hurt it's feelings:
    one-plus-snowbot-battle-robot-telephonie-vonguru-375x500.jpg

But it's ok, he will never be able to actually work as advertised, so you're safe ;)

20. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Mar 16, 2020

Cheetosdust , Mar 16, 2020 :
    I'm not a star in the sky, that bot can't hit me. :cool: