What can USB OTG do?

1. aamircute3
    Gingerbread Jul 29, 2014

aamircute3 , Jul 29, 2014 :
    I don't know if I posted this in the right category, but here goes.
    I was wondering what USB OTG can do, other than being able to read files off a USB stick and use a keyboard. There are some USB OTG micro SD card readers. If I got one of those, would I be able to install apps on it like a regular micro SD card?

2. aamircute3
    Gingerbread Jul 29, 2014

3. sur
    Jelly Bean Jul 29, 2014

sur , Jul 29, 2014 :
    What else it should do?
    It is main purpose of OTG to read files from USB

4. dskleingeld
    Gingerbread Jul 29, 2014

dskleingeld , Jul 29, 2014 :
    one reason I want an invite is to try out usb otg dacs, That means being able to use a custom and higher quality dac (device that outputs music) for my headphones. Another advantage is the use of usbsticks to transport files that don't fit on your phone (or backup data to without using your pc)

but thats just the start of the applications of usb otg, DSLR owners for example will like the ability to interface with there cameras, (so you can share the images you make or control the camera from your phone (professional timelapses anyone?))

what I am trying to say is: usb otg makes it possible to add other equipment to you phone giving you new uses you never thought of, there are so much usb applicances you could interface with your phone.

Danonymous likes this.
  5. aakashjhaveri
    Lollipop Jul 29, 2014

6. aamircute3
    Gingerbread Jul 29, 2014

You guys aren't getting me. I'm asking if I can use a micro SD card and use it like it's a regular micro SD card port if it isn't present on the phone. For example the LG G2 doesn't have a micro SD card slot. So could I use a usb OTG dongle to install apps onto it and whatever?

7. aakashjhaveri
    Lollipop Jul 29, 2014

aakashjhaveri , Jul 29, 2014 :
    Apps should be installed on the phone memory or slot
    Read speeds will be very slow via OTG

Could be more issues

8. keithnyc
    Moderator Moderator Jul 29, 2014

keithnyc , Jul 29, 2014 :
    Yes...I've posted numerous threads on this. You can read files from a card reader that fits into the USB micro port of the One (or use an adaptor)

9. aamircute3
    Gingerbread Jul 29, 2014

Yes I understand you can read files off of it, but does it have all the functionality of a micro SD card slot that is built into the phone?

10. Deactivated User
    Jul 29, 2014

11. keithnyc

I'm not sure what other functionalities there are for a slot built in the phone. But I will tell you that I have played videos and music off an SD card and I have transferred files between my One and the card. I use a file utility i got for free on Google Play (filemanager)

12. aamircute3
    Gingerbread Jul 29, 2014

omg.

13. simonebr
    Froyo Jul 29, 2014

simonebr , Jul 29, 2014 :
    you can connect a mini usb key to your device and transfer files for example

14. aamircute3
    Gingerbread Jul 29, 2014

Well you can install apps and the pictures you taken are put onto the micro SD card if your phone has one built in. Does that happen with your OPO? Could you try and get back to me?

15. thegdub
    Jelly Bean Jul 29, 2014

16. keithnyc

yes, you can do that

17. aamircute3
    Gingerbread Jul 29, 2014

In settings, there's an option to move apps to your SD card. Does that work?

18. keithnyc

yes

19. KBFitz
    Honeycomb Jul 29, 2014

KBFitz , Jul 29, 2014 :
    USB OTG does NOT automatically give the OTO or any other smartphone the ability to do everything a PC could do through a USB port.

But file functions, including moving apps to an SD card reader through a USB OTG, should work on many devices. Some devices ... internet dongles or USB hard drives that draw a substantial amount of power may work if the phone can supply the required power.

But I can't test any of this on the OPO -- my OPO is still processing and not yet in my hands. My current phone [Sony Xperia ST27i] cannot power an internet dingle or a hard drive, but it reads and executes files on an SD card in a USB SD card reader plugged in through the USB OTG cable real easy.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014

20. Danonymous
    Honeycomb Jul 29, 2014