What I Love and Hate about my new OnePlus 5!

1. bus_ter
    Gingerbread Jun 27, 2017

bus_ter , Jun 27, 2017 :
    My OP5 has replaced my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge which unfortunately was dropped and shattered the front glass. It's expensive/difficult to replace the glass on these so I treated myself to a new phone. So this is what I Love and Hate about my new OnePlus 5!

Love

• The Snapdraggon 835 -The phone is Fast and bang up to date in connectivity support.
    • Fast storage and lots of memory- More Speed
    • No bloatware and streamlined Android -Contributes to the speed and simplicity.
    • The silent/DnD slider button -No more taking my phone out and turning the display on to switch it to silent! Fantastic.
    • Fast responsive finger print unlocking.
    • Solid Home button -Sooner or later the push down home buttons on galaxies start to wear causing rocking, noises/rattles, missed clicks etc because of their frequent use. Hopefully nothing to wear out here.
    • The deep blacks and saturation from the AMOLED panel
    • 3.5mm jack -Can still use my headphones without an adapter.
    • Battery -Amazing battery life and the DASH charge is great too.
    • USB C -So easy to plug in the charger in the dark now.
    • Gorilla Glass 5 -better drop resistance, the gorilla glass 4 on my Galaxy S7 drop failed :-(
    • Glass on one side. Feels less premium in a way, but reduces the weight of the phone. This means less force when it falls and less chance of shattering the screen. However metal dents and scratches easily.
    Hate

• The Camera. So much hype and so much disappointment. Good on paper and for taking 'benchmark' photos. But very poor in real world phone usage. The S7 camera is WAY better. I'm so disappointed I gave it it's own thread.
    • Only 1080P screen. Also if the brightness is turned up I can see 'noise' on the display. Also get some weird distortions when scrolling. Viewing angle is good, but not excellent. Automatic brightness control is also hit and miss. The S7 was much better. A big downgrade on the S7 display in all areas.
    • Design is good. But it doesn't look as nice as say a galaxy S8
    • Having DRM issues, such as reduced quality Netlix streaming. I hope this gets sorted soon.
    • Sound is loud, but quality is average.
    • Not waterproof
    • No SD Card support. Who really wants two sim card holders? Make the other slot for an sdcard like Samsung.
    • Price. £450 is not a value bargain like the old versions. You can buy a Samsung S8 on Amazon for £550 now.
    In a nutshell. It's a mid range phone in regards to features and design, but with high end performance. I don't think it's a bargain. I think the price is about right for what you get.

Jose_Villa90 likes this.
  2. j244
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 27, 2017

j244 , Jun 27, 2017 :
    Please elaborate.

Like the jello effect people are talking about on the forum?

3. F_Sukesh_Shetty_qIKS
    Cupcake Jun 27, 2017

4. bus_ter
    Gingerbread Jun 27, 2017

bus_ter , Jun 27, 2017 :
    If I turn the screen brightness to max in a dark environment I can see noise in the display. The pixels sort of flicker and 'dance' rather than remaining uniform and flat. Like a sort of moving noise. In normal usage the effect can't be seen as indoors the screen brightness is dialed right back and outside when the brightness is up you can't see it for the glare and bright light around you. I only noticed this when I was getting frustrated with the automatic back lighting which was making the screen too dark inside.

The scrolling effect is like a jitter/blurring. As soon as you stop scrolling it stops. My S7 did neither of these things.

5. vikashanil
    Cupcake Jun 27, 2017

vikashanil , Jun 27, 2017 :
    I am a big fan on OnePlus and till date bought OnePlus one, OnePlus two, OnePlus 3T and OnePlus 5.As per launch event and other blogs and reviews, the biggest difference between OnePlus 3t and OnePlus 5 apart from hardware upgrades was dual camera. Even the OnePlus 5 tab line says Dual Camera. Clearer Photos.

But, I am very disappointed with the camera output. Photos taken by OnePlus 3T comes better than OnePlus 5 in low light condition.

OnePlus team need to seriously look into the camera issue and come up with the solution.

6. ashh809
    Cupcake Jun 27, 2017

ashh809 , Jun 27, 2017 :
    i loved the processor speed. cud have given better display. although i dont have any complaints with the screen

7. Jose_Villa90
    Donut Jun 27, 2017

Jose_Villa90 , Jun 27, 2017 :
    Yeah I come from an S7 Edge as well and I agree. Specially the camera part. OP 5 performs poorly specially at night. That's what I miss the most.