What I would have picked over a IP68 rating... via OnePlus 8 Pro

1. OnePlusFan1919
    Gingerbread Apr 23, 2020

OnePlusFan1919 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Apr 23, 2020 :
    What I would've picked and gladly paid the additional cost for VS the IP68 rating is an official Oneplus full adhesive tempered glass screen protector for the Oneplus 8 Pro. That to me adds more value for something I'd never do (emerge my phone in water)

What would you guys have picked? Maybe we can get something that is practical that everyone can appreciate in the next Oneplus phone.

akshayzac and Ujjwalprashar like this.
  2. luxuskamel
    Marshmallow Apr 23, 2020

luxuskamel , Apr 23, 2020 :
    We can complain quite a lot about the OP8 Series, but it won't change much. We noticed that oneplus doesn't really listen to us/community anymore.
    On another note I'm using my OP6 since almost two years and it still has the preapplied plastic protector. Its a very good protector against scratches. I even ordered glass protection but that often doesn't cover the curves of the screen. Personally I would just stick with the preapplied plastic protector. I'm glad that I still didnt remove it. Many people are positively surprised by the quality of it

Starcommander and gcocucci like this.
  3. [GG]
    Jelly Bean Apr 23, 2020

[GG] , Apr 23, 2020 :
    If it didn't have an IP68 rating, most people would have complained about a flagship phone, at a flagship price, wasn't IP68 rated. I would rather buy my own screen protector to my liking if i choose to install one.

Matt 80 likes this.
  4. akshayzac , via OnePlus 5T Midnight Black , Apr 24, 2020 :
    I think tempared glass Is a very good idea but I would not trade this for a IP68 rating
    1) you never now when shit happens
    2) it costs way more than tempared glass for the license and r&d
    3) tempared glass will be available in market after some time

5. Stefaan
    Gingerbread Apr 24, 2020

Stefaan , Apr 24, 2020 :
    I honestly like this topic, is an open brainstorm and discussion thread what could be different according to users.
    Maybe it's something OP could appreciate and take some ideas into the design of the software or hardware for the new OP8T

xRapids_ and OnePlusFan1919 like this.
  6. OnePlusFan1919
    Gingerbread Apr 24, 2020

OnePlusFan1919 , Apr 24, 2020 :
    Oneplus has always been water resistant regardless of an official rating. People have submerged phones back since the OP5 in water for 10-20 minutes at a time and it still worked. It wasn't IP68 rated then. So now we have it, we pay more. But what does that prove in all honesty? Am I going to be walking around dropping my phone into every fish tank, water puddle, or pool that I can possibly find just to prove to someone it can do it? Or what about walking around pouring bottles of wine over it like Lil Wayne did in a commercial? Who does this in real life? What are you more likely to do...submerge your phone in water for a period of time that you need an IP68 rating or crack your screen?

Also, there has never been an official OnePlus curved screen tempered glass protector. The ones that come to market usually have huge gaps on the edges, black out portions of the screen to make it look like it's actually good coverage or only adhere at the edges.

7. OnePlusFan1919
    Gingerbread Apr 24, 2020

If it didn't come with IP68 rating we wouldn't be paying the price they are charging for it now.

8. OnePlusFan1919
    Gingerbread Apr 24, 2020

A lot of the OP8 Pros aren't coming with them preapplied.

9. OnePlusFan1919
    Gingerbread Apr 24, 2020

What would you have liked to see Stefaan?

10. Stefaan
    Gingerbread Apr 24, 2020

Stefaan , Apr 24, 2020 :
    Still hard to say as my delivery hasn't arrived yet :( Once I get it, I'll post it

xRapids_ likes this.
  11. [GG]
    Jelly Bean Apr 24, 2020

[GG] , Apr 24, 2020 :
    The point was that there would still be some complaining about not having it. I personally don't care for that rating, my phones are IP68 rated and they never go anywhere near water.

Also the same could be said about paying or not for wireless charging, 5G, 120 refresh rates etc.. bottom line, all "flagship" phones have gotten pretty expensive.

12. hahuang65
    Cupcake Apr 24, 2020

hahuang65 , Apr 24, 2020 :
    I wouldn't agree with this. A screen protector can EASILY be added aftermarket. Water resistance cannot. I'd rather pay for something I cannot easily add.

13. Horsault
    Moderator Moderator Apr 24, 2020

Horsault , Apr 24, 2020 :
    This is, on the contrary, proof that OnePlus has listened numerous people bashing the brand for not certificating its devices.
    How many threads have we got on these forums, and rantings on social media as well, from people demanding IP certification!
    In 1st place, OnePlus tried to explain a certification wouldn't change anything, except it had a cost. But people didn't stop.
    So they listened.
    And now people are complaining about added cost.

This Is The Internet…

luxuskamel and xRapids_ like this.
  14. Starcommander
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9RT 5G Writers' Club Apr 24, 2020

Starcommander , Apr 24, 2020 :
    I kinda agree but wireless charging and ip68 was community demands.
    @dsmonteiro what would you prefer?
    Screen protector or ip rating?

luxuskamel likes this.
  15. akshayzac , via OnePlus 5T Midnight Black , Apr 24, 2020 :
    not having curved display was also community demand, which created this problem in the first place

16. OnePlusFan1919
    Gingerbread Apr 24, 2020

Agreed. What is the benefit of a curved display? What does it add to the phone if anything at all? Besides being a pain in the butt to find good screen protection as well as accidental touches.

luxuskamel, ASCHENTE_V and akshayzac like this.
  17. Starcommander
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9RT 5G Writers' Club Apr 24, 2020

Starcommander , Apr 24, 2020 :
    I kinda agree

18. OnePlusFan1919
    Gingerbread Apr 24, 2020

OP phones have been water resistant for a long time. At the very least back to the OP5. It just didn't have an official certification.

I for one wasn't one of those people. The youtube videos of people dunking their phones or the video of the making of the OP6 were good enough for me. I've dropped my phone or tapped it to the point of making me cringe more times than I've gotten it wet (to include light rain).

For me personally, I would've traded the IP68 for a good screen protector and paid the same price. The IP68 is something i'll never have to test....my screen however is another story as it is way more likely to be impacted. Just imagine how many times people will roll over to turn off the alarm in the morning on the phone that's resting on the wireless charger and it plops right onto the night stand or off it onto the floor.

What's more likely? This scenario or dropping it in a pool or puddle?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020

19. OnePlusFan1919
    Gingerbread Apr 24, 2020

Wireless charging I can agree with this time only because OnePlus waited until it was mature enough to charge as fast as being wired.

However, it's only useful to a lot of people when charging at home. If you have Android Auto and a wireless charge pad in your car, it's pointless because without Android Auto Wireless connectivity which is more hardware I believe, you have to plug in your phone anyway so you'll be charging it plugged in.

In that aspect, I would've like to have seen Android Auto wireless capability built in with the charging wireless capability. It would've been more practical. They've got one piece of the puzzle right, so I applaud them for that.

Starcommander likes this.
  20. OnePlusFan1919
    Gingerbread Apr 24, 2020

Lets keep in mind, this isn't a flame thread against OP. It's a, "hey, what could we have done better?" thread.