What I would have picked over a IP68 rating...

1. hahuang65
    Cupcake Apr 24, 2020

hahuang65 , Apr 24, 2020 :
    While this is certainly true, I'd be curious to see the actual numbers for the cost increase of the phone attributed to IP certification. I would highly doubt this is more than $20 per phone. I'd gladly pay $20 for the certification and peace of mind, and then get a better screen protector of my choice aftermarket.

I'd be happy to pay $5 extra dollars for the phone if they slapped on a crappy screen protector just to protect from scratches while I shop for my more premium screen protector.

2. OnePlusFan1919
    Gingerbread Apr 24, 2020

OnePlusFan1919 , Apr 24, 2020 :
    What would be the peace of mind? If water gets in it, IP68 certification means nothing. You won't get a free repair or replacement. It's not a water proof rating, it's a water resistance rating. So if water were to get in the phone and damages it, you're still out of pocket to get it repaired just as much as you would be without the IP68 certification. Now if it was water proof, then I'd gladly pay that as well.

luxuskamel and Alex_Cerv like this.
  3. hahuang65
    Cupcake Apr 24, 2020

The peace of mind is that someone qualified did methodical and rigorous testing on it and certified that it meets a certain standard. I can expect it to be resistant to nearly an exact amount of water contact. It's not really about a free repair or replacement.

An analogy would be a vehicle tire. Some random company makes it, says it's good for 150 MPH. A few random guys test it and say "yup, we got it to 150 MPH and it's good". If it's not certified by some authority, I wouldn't bet my life on it.

That's not to say that the phone being waterproof is a life or death matter, but it's the same sort of thing. An entity that is considered an authority has certified that something reaches a gold standard is peace of mind to me.

xRapids_ likes this.
  4. OnePlusFan1919
    Gingerbread Apr 24, 2020

OnePlusFan1919 , Apr 24, 2020 :
    I get where you're coming from. But the analogy is way different. With the IP68 rating, your outcome is the same regardless having it or not having it.

A better fitting analogy would be if somebody was certified in car washing vs a guy that's not. Does that invalidate the other guys ability or quality of work?

But, back to original subject. What would you have changed or like to have seen? Whether it was to replace something that came in this generation or to add. Good conversing with you as well good sir.

5. hahuang65
    Cupcake Apr 24, 2020

I disagree that it is different in the analogy. A tire being tested has no bearing on the performance on the tire. A phone being tested for water resistance also has no bearing on how the phone performs with water.

Both certifications are merely a statement that some standard has been met.

But yeah, back to the original subject... I kinda wish that they still had the pop-up camera and left my screen without any interruptions. I think that's the main thing I miss from my 7 Pro.

Alex_Cerv likes this.
  6. Alex_Cerv
    Gingerbread Apr 24, 2020

Alex_Cerv , Apr 24, 2020 :
    well, i have not read so many ranting about, probably because i am OP user form some months....

But OnePlus has its own character of innovation? till 7 series it was so, wheras i had choosen OnePlus as a best brand.

now as you say has listened users adding IP68?
    or...has just added because all flagship around has it, with wireless charging, damn ugly punch hole, SD865
    OP just took features already around, copying even punch hole noone requested and most sayed is a step back from fullscreen experience.

Today, 8 series is a brand that wants to win the race with Samsung, Apple, Huawei just using same specs/features with lower price.... but even 200 euros more compared to 7t model(6 monts old???), BUT, those differnce is payed only by European and USA customers, India is paying 200 euros less??

Not anymore my preferred brand sorry, even 7Pro is a beast, nothing, and even if i am in the mood of upgrade, i will not choose this year Oneplus..... next year who knows

and instead of IP68 rating, having back popup camera.... well maybe i have given a thought

7. Horsault
    Moderator Moderator Apr 24, 2020

Horsault , Apr 24, 2020 :
    It's a free world. There's a product for each taste under the sky.

luxuskamel and Alex_Cerv like this.
  8. Alex_Cerv
    Gingerbread Apr 24, 2020

Alex_Cerv , Apr 24, 2020 :
    Absolutely agree, but brands need customers, and you forsee OP will get same liking/numbers/income it has with 7Pro?
    I am reading a lot, but i am sure most 7Pro users i read/know will not update to 8 Pro, and i know you know why:D:D:p:p

Nice going man

luxuskamel likes this.
  9. Horsault
    Moderator Moderator Apr 24, 2020

Horsault , Apr 24, 2020 :
    Of course, there are users who don't run for each new model and prefer a replacement every other year.
    On the other hand, did you see how many people on these forums complain about OP8 series not being available?
    And choosing another brand to replace a device can only mean 2 things: either going down to middle-range device (and there's no reason to downgrade to a less-performant device, is it?), or paying more (and even if paying 200€ more, you'll get a less performant device).
    So I think OnePlus know what they're doing.

luxuskamel likes this.
  10. OnePlusFan1919
    Gingerbread Apr 24, 2020

OnePlusFan1919 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Apr 24, 2020 :
    Ditto! Miss that camera! And it was nice to know there was builtin privacy with it.

luxuskamel and hahuang65 like this.
  11. OnePlusFan1919
    Gingerbread Apr 24, 2020

OnePlusFan1919 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Apr 24, 2020 :
    I actually upgraded from the 7T Pro McLaren. Mainly because of the 5G and I sell my previous phones for half the price I paid for them to coworkers. I've had every OP since the 5 to include the T models. I'm just a tech enthusiast and enjoyed what OP was doing but I feel this may be my last depending on the next release of Red Magic or Surface Duo.

akshayzac likes this.
  12. Alex_Cerv
    Gingerbread Apr 25, 2020

Alex_Cerv , Apr 25, 2020 :
    well RedMagic 5G is very very intersting, a beast at 599, i will not upgrade at all, i hate punch hole(which is common choice for all brands, s**t), and if 9 series will still have it, bye bye OP
    PS i am really tempted to try Redmagic, if fine will sell 7Pro

well i see most complaining about the price instead, i read just few about availability....
    the truth is OnePlus chooses to fight in a market that was not his till 7 Series;
    on top of that i cannot say if is right or wrong, i just say i do not like that OnePlus follows this price hike war, and for this reason i will not buy OP again, yes i know other brands are the same..... but my wallet ask respect and value of money, so probably a RedMagic will be my next.
    I am even taking in consideration Samsung(from S2 till S9+ and A50), yes they are more expensive, but after few months prices go down.

13. Horsault
    Moderator Moderator Apr 25, 2020

Horsault , Apr 25, 2020 :
    On the contrary, OnePlus always aimed at high-end market at lower price than competitors. They never hid the fact that OnePlus One was sold at almost no margin, but that further products will progressively be more expansive. First devices were advertised as "Flagship killers", which perfectly shows what the aim was.
    When other premium devices have new gimmicks, people ask why they don't have them on a OnePlus product. So OnePlus has to include them, but of course price increases.

The problem is some clients thought OnePlus would always offer high-end devices at an entry-level price.
    They want everything for nothing.
    But we don't live in a fairytale.

Of course, after a few months, Samsung lowers their products price. OnePlus prefer offering more: free screen protector and free shipping for the One, releasing T series, etc.

akshayzac and luxuskamel like this.
  14. dandan112988
    Eclair Apr 27, 2020

dandan112988 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Apr 27, 2020 :
    you'd rather disposable screen protector versus protection against water... I dunno how you figure that. you never know when you are gonna be pushed into a pool, stuck in a down pour, etc. this is very important for a flagship. OnePlus 7T pro wasn't water proof enough. I spilled a little wine on mine on a cruise ship- next day the back cameras were all fogged up. wine had made its way in. so... it's very important to have versus a screen protector. you can always buy one of those for 8 bucks.