What in hell is Google Play Services doing

1. Albin1887
    Froyo May 22, 2017

Albin1887 , May 22, 2017 :
    F**kin Google Play Services is always draining my damn battery more than my screen. It's so frustrating when I don't use my phone all day and my battery drops 20% from just sitting there. I'm beyond annoyed by the damn thing.

Can ANYONE give some insight as to why this is happening, and how to solve it?? I would REALLY appreciate it.

2. vimfuego
    Gingerbread May 23, 2017

vimfuego , May 23, 2017 :
    The issue seems to be that it is always doing something in the background, the trick seems to be to disable all Google services that you aren't using. Eg, I've disabled Gmail, Android Pay, Gdrive, Hangouts, there is all sorts of Google apps that you might not be using ticking away and calling back to home constantly.
    The other thing is to set your location services to GPS only. I made these changes a few days ago as Play services was my biggest battery life consumer and I'm currently on 1 day 8 hrs since charged, 2 hrs 20 mins screen on time with Google Play services only using 5% total (screen is at 10%), battery still at 44%.
    Sorry I don't have the link but someone on here did do a really good step by step battery consumption guide and what processes to kill off, that is what I followed for the most part.

3. whodatboi
    KitKat May 23, 2017

whodatboi , May 23, 2017 :
    damn ATM I'm at 46% with 3 hours 2 minutes sot and 10 hours phone powered on time.

4. vimfuego
    Gingerbread May 23, 2017

vimfuego , May 23, 2017 :
    I don't know what people expect from the 3T, you want 7 days without a charge buy a Nokia 3110.
    My house hold is full of Apple phones (except me) and every one of them is on charge every night.

Intruder71 and annjuan18 like this.
  5. annjuan18
    Eclair May 23, 2017

annjuan18 , May 23, 2017 :
    Mine as well. This OP3T always amaze me, the doze mode maximize my time reading and gaming all day and at night with 10% I leave it screen off by the next day only 1% decreases and charge it within an hour get almost 95%!!! That's the phone I was looking for and I'm loving it so much!

6. ninja123456
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 23, 2017

ninja123456 , May 23, 2017 :
    oxygen os has no capacity to take control over Google play services which runs in the background. oxygen os is simply not optimized for these things. they can't pour much on the development team for something everyone doesn't complain

Jagadeesh RK likes this.
  7. Albin1887
    Froyo May 23, 2017

Albin1887 , May 23, 2017 :
    I really appreciate the recommendation, Thanks. Also what's weird is most days it drains battery. But there are some days it goes 1-3% battery usage all day. Really random and odd. Kind of a bummer that I actually DO use most, if not all the Google Apps tho. I'll mess with the Location settings to see if that helps. I also put Apps that I hardly use in Agressive Doze, so they should not be running at all in the background. I run a pretty tight ship with my phone's processes but Google Play Services is the stubborn one.

8. tjtan1772
    Froyo May 23, 2017

tjtan1772 , May 23, 2017 :
    Try force stop the app. Then uninstall updates, clear both cache and data. Reboot. After reboot check for any update on the play store.

Make sure you have good signal whenever you update. I only update using wifi.

Last edited: May 23, 2017

9. rameez0307
    Gingerbread May 23, 2017

rameez0307 , May 23, 2017 :
    Google play services is just playing with your phone..lol hahaha[e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e]

10. xsynaticc
    Gingerbread May 23, 2017

11. bharathpsd
    Gingerbread May 23, 2017

bharathpsd , May 23, 2017 :
    turn off the Google feed. that is the reason for your battery drain problem. the other thing is turn off the aggressive doze mode. and it will be set

12. leo98918

leo98918 , May 23, 2017 :
    Some of you guys are blaming it on OnePlus yet this issue happens on all other OEMs devices as well. Sometimes Play Services just goes rogue due to a bad flash, update, or whatever. Only way to fix it is to wipe your device and start fresh. When setting up your device, set it up as a new device, don't select it to download everything from a backup that's in the cloud.

13. Albin1887
    Froyo May 23, 2017

Albin1887 , May 23, 2017 :
    I've considered Factory Resetting and Wiping Cache... I uninstalled it and reinstalled. So far it seems a little better but still using the same as my most used apps.

14. leo98918

leo98918 , May 23, 2017 :
    Try reformatting, only install a handful of apps at a time a day to see if you notice when the phone starts acting up after certain apps get installed. Or just download an app that lets you see what keeps running in the background and is eating up battery life.

15. Albin1887
    Froyo May 24, 2017

Albin1887 , May 24, 2017 :
    Alright so I Factory Reset and Wiped Cache from Recovery. So far I DO see a difference. Play Services is using a lot less! I installed the Apps I NEED and use daily, only about 10 apps. It's doing great, but we'll have to see how the next couple days go. I'm optimistic tho! Didn't want to reset but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I'll update in a couple days on results. Thanks for the suggestions.

16. leo98918
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 24, 2017

leo98918 , May 24, 2017 :
    I know restarts suck. Once the phone settles in, then install whatever other apps you will occasionally use. Hopefully you find what app(s) is causing the issue. If no app seems to start acting up, could've just been some random issue when installing an OTA update or something.

17. Albin1887
    Froyo May 26, 2017

Albin1887 , May 26, 2017 :
    UPDATE: 2 Days in since the reset and wipe cache. Play Services used 3% the first day.
    2nd day(today) it used 10% (400mah).
    Still a lot and 3rd on my battery usage list... Guess it's just something I have to deal with. :-/
    I take the phone off the charger at 7am and go to bed at 11pm with about 20% battery left(4hrs SOT). It's not really terrible but on the days Play Services isn't using so much I get 6hrs SOT.
    Oh well I suppose.

18. mrbrandonscott
    Cupcake May 26, 2017

mrbrandonscott , May 26, 2017 :
    This happens to me from time to time, usually not long after an OTA update. As far as I can tell it may not actually be caused by the google play services/framework, but an installed app that uses that service. After each OTA update, I've factory reset the phone and wiped the cache. Then I will install the "basic apps" first (the ones I used the most), and gradually add back the other apps I used. Once a drain starts to show up, I'll uninstall the most recently installed apps and it seems to fix the issue. Your results may vary....

19. G_Thomas_Jonson_eAGK
    Eclair May 26, 2017

G_Thomas_Jonson_eAGK , May 26, 2017 :
    Had never Problems on my 3T with battery drain. But obviously Google has done something with the Google play service. With full charge i have 3 h !!! Time left. Battery manager shows me on Top Google play services with 18%, second is Android OS.
    Normally my 3T last two days without any charge. Now i have 3hours.

I rebooted the phone ..cleared cache, nothing helps. My Google play version is :

i removed all permission beside storage from this service. Let's if this helps.

any clues ?

20. bseiche
    Cupcake May 26, 2017

bseiche , May 26, 2017 :
    Google Play Services is a system app made by Google, that gives other apps different APIs, data and functionalities like Google Single Sign On. For example in the last years, Google has decided to deprecate the Android OS Location Provider in favor of the Fused Location API from Google Play services to optimize both battery consumption and speed of retrieving GPS data. You will see Google Play Services as using power, even if other apps use the functionalities (and they are many) provided by it.

To summarize: If you disable Google Play Services, is a huge chance that other apps will stop functioning properly or even crash. Even Google Play, Chrome, Facebook and so on use it, because of ease of development and because the multitude of functionalities that otherwise should be custom made by the app developers.