What is Nothing?

1. suhantm
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 2, 2021

suhantm , Feb 2, 2021 :
    NOTHING.jpg

Here I am writing a thread about Nothing. No… Nothing isn’t nothing. Nothing is something.

If you’ve gotten past that cringey first line, congratulations… let’s talk about Nothing now!

Last week, Carl (OnePlus Co-Founder) announced Nothing, his new venture after departing from his role at OnePlus late last year. Nothing’s HQ is in London but judging by the job openings there seems to be a strong interest in the Indian market.

Screenshot 2021-02-02 at 9.59.11 PM.jpg
    Here we see Carl rocking a minimalistic hoodie with the Nothing logo. Photo Credits to Nothing

One huge factor for the immense level of hype for Nothing is the eye-catching list of investors from the seed round. The full list can be seen on their website here, a few that caught my eye were Steve Huffman (Co-founder of Reddit), Kevin Lim (Co-founder of Twitch) and Casey Neistat (One of my favorite YouTubers)! I also commend the Nothing team for securing @nothing on all socials, something all marketing peeps know is no easy (and cheap) feat!

That’s the majority of useful stuff we know for now. I’d also like to share Nothing’s mission and a few words from Carl on their official press release: “Nothing’s mission is to remove barriers between people and technology to create a seamless digital future. We believe that the best technology is beautiful, yet natural and intuitive to use. When sufficiently advanced, it should fade into the background and feel like nothing.”

As for what Nothing really is all about, your guess is honestly as good as mine. We’re going to find out more in the coming months as the first product is going to be launched in the first half of the year. So for the moment, I’d like to ask you - What do you think Nothing’s first product(s) are going to be?

I’d like to end by saying I really think Carl pulled an Elon by naming the company something so simple and in the same tone as ‘The Boring Company’. But… there’s Nothing wrong with that ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021

2. camohan
    Moderator Moderator Feb 2, 2021

3. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Feb 2, 2021

YRJ , Feb 2, 2021 :
    I'm almost certain that it's going to be audio related, but then it's Carl so....

Jassaman, Surlux, AzureB1te and 18 others like this.
  4. McJader
    Marshmallow Feb 2, 2021

McJader , Feb 2, 2021 :
    There are all sorts of wild speculations out there...
    I think it will be something to do with wearables, or maybe a line of smart assistant products....
    Naming the company 'Nothing' was a masterstroke btw
    And that this is a thread (probably will be on the front page) of the OnePlus community is so ironic lol

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021

5. Bittoo06
    Jelly Bean Feb 2, 2021

6. SRD.
    Lollipop Feb 2, 2021

SRD. , Feb 2, 2021 :
    Nothing might launch its first Audio product I guess. Something smart though.

7. Dhruv Kashyap
    Jelly Bean Feb 2, 2021

8. sfomin
    Nougat Feb 2, 2021

9. Vasushri
    Eclair Feb 2, 2021

Vasushri , via OnePlus 6T , Feb 2, 2021 :
    Nothing will launch something like Nothing which might mean everything. But the thing is I need to go sleep and wake up early for my chemistry exam which I know nothing (means nothing here)🙂 wish me luck

10. sumitMZ007
    Jelly Bean Feb 2, 2021

sumitMZ007 , via OnePlus 6 , Feb 2, 2021 :
    There is something,we know nothing about it! I think it will start like neXT and merge with OnePlus in future! I'm thinking in india Audio industry is not streamlined at all! Big players like Sony which is benchmark for some audiophiles! Hasn't launched something good in past few years and other players are just following the trend! Like apple recently launched $500 headphones which others can't do easily considering the customer response! I'm hoping it's will be mix of audio industry and IOT products! There is no consistent Player in audio industry in India.

11. harshad sumesara , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Feb 2, 2021 :
    All the best 👍

O1611119444194 and Vasushri like this.
  12. dom_k
    The Lab - OnePlus 9 Pro Reviewer Feb 2, 2021

McJader and FakePlasticTree like this.
  13. FakePlasticTree
    Donut Feb 2, 2021

FakePlasticTree , Feb 2, 2021 :
    Who said it has to be Hardware? I think that with that name , and their aim of reducing friction between us and technology to nothing, they could provide something invisible and untouchable, but everywhere at the same time

S_K_J, colaboy and X1595952025967 like this.
  14. Vasushri
    Eclair Feb 2, 2021

15. Adarsh.Rangare
    Gingerbread Feb 2, 2021

F1596546293255 likes this.
  16. cdnfarmer
    Junior Moderator, Photography Expert Junior Moderator Feb 2, 2021

cdnfarmer , Feb 2, 2021 :
    So it's all about nothing. So can we substitute nothing by synonyms? Nada rien...

If they aim to remove barriers, I wonder if they are going to push the Mi Air that @Cheetosdust was writing about.. 🤔

17. Kerkdriel_Online

Shamin Naanu likes this.
  18. sfomin
    Nougat Feb 2, 2021

sfomin , Feb 2, 2021 :
    they will push nothing. :rolleyes:

19. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert Feb 2, 2021

Bouncer71 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Feb 2, 2021 :
    And again I'll just be quoting "Monty Python"..
    " Life's a piece of shit
    When you look at it
    Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true
    You'll see it's all a show
    Keep 'em laughing as you go
    Just remember that the last laugh is on you..

And always look on the bright side of life..."

"I mean, what have you got to lose?
    You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing
    What have you lost? Nothing!
    Always look on the right side of life..."
    "Nothing will come from nothing, you know what they say?
    Cheer up you old bugger, c'mon give us a grin!
    There you are, see, it's the end..."
    "Who do you think pays for all this rubbish
    They're gonna make their money back, you know.."
    😉

20. ayemei

ayemei , Feb 2, 2021 :
    I'm guessing it's some type of AR/VR.

luznysklad, McJader and rebinrj like this.