What is "Ultra SIM compatibility improvement" in the 2.2.1 update

1. charanchakravarthi
    Honeycomb Mar 7, 2016

charanchakravarthi , Mar 7, 2016 :
    What is "Ultra SIM compatibility improvement" in the 2.2.1 update??
    I looked for it in the forum and did a extensive Google search and nothing comes up. Then I call oneplus tech support, only to hear that they do not know whats it about, at the moment but to call back later..

Some insight will leave me in peace..

2. Gaurav Rohilla
    Lollipop Mar 7, 2016

3. ariblaze
    Jelly Bean Mar 7, 2016

4. otto2
    Photography Expert Mar 7, 2016

otto2 , Mar 7, 2016 :
    In Germany it 's an offer by Vodafone provider to get up to three Simcards with the same phone number.

Ceasedd likes this.
  5. charanchakravarthi
    Honeycomb Mar 7, 2016

charanchakravarthi , Mar 7, 2016 :
    Wow.. Really?? How do they handle calls.. Like all three Sims get the call at the same time and the one which picks up first simply continues with the call and others miss it.. What's the sole purpose of such a feature and why is that a part of oneplus update?

6. ariblaze
    Jelly Bean Mar 7, 2016

7. ariblaze
    Jelly Bean Mar 7, 2016

ariblaze , Mar 7, 2016 :
    I think ultra sim is somewhat related to International sim cards which are specifically built for international use during travelling. Not sure though.

8. Ceasedd
    Marshmallow Mar 7, 2016

Ceasedd , Mar 7, 2016 :
    No,it's a carrier. The update allows you to use their sim cards.

9. mwayner
    Lollipop Mar 7, 2016

Gaurav Rohilla likes this.
  10. Baymax
    Marshmallow Mar 7, 2016

Gaurav Rohilla likes this.
  11. jamurai2
    Cupcake Mar 9, 2016

jamurai2 , Mar 9, 2016 :
    If I had to guess, I think it is related to Google's Project Fi that just went live a couple days ago. It uses a new type of Sim card that is able to switch automatically and seamlessly between WiFi and multiple carrier networks. It uses T-Mobile and Sprint's networks in the US and is able to also work in 120 other countries. Currently only the Nexus phones are supported (obviously, since they're the "Google phones" and also include all the necessary radio bands), but it will later be available for other Android devices. It's very likely that Oneplus is preparing for implementation. On recent press release concerning the oneplus3, it was said that there would be a strong focus on the North American market. It's possible that including ultra sim support and the additional radio bands needed to use Sprint's LTE network (these are currently missing from the oneplus2) might be part of that.

That's just my speculation....

12. bombadier
    KitKat Mar 9, 2016

Ceasedd likes this.
  13. jerrymilton
    Jelly Bean Mar 9, 2016

jerrymilton , Mar 9, 2016 :
    extensive search ? I found out what it was 5 seconds after the changelog came out w/ one simple google query.

http://ultra.me/

bombadier and Ceasedd like this.
  14. p1lot1
    Gingerbread Mar 9, 2016

p1lot1 , Mar 9, 2016 :
    i was hoping it was finally an update to make switching data on any of the 2 sim-cards not loose connection with 1 of the sims most of the time, like it does now :(

15. otto2
    Photography Expert Mar 9, 2016

16. Adam Krisko
    Head of Community NA Staff Member Mar 9, 2016

Adam Krisko , Mar 9, 2016 :
    This is correct.

17. otto2
    Photography Expert Mar 9, 2016

otto2 , Mar 9, 2016 :
    Ihre SIM-Karte mit einer Rufnummer für drei mobile Geräte
    • Bis zu 3 mobile Geräte mit der gleichen Rufnummer nutzen, z. B. Handy, Autotelefon, BlackBerry oder Tablet
    • Unter einer Mobilfunknummer erreichbar sein
    • Gleichzeitiges Klingeln auf allen eingeschalteten Handys
    • Parallele Nutzung von Sprach- und Datendiensten
    • SMS-/MMS-Empfang kann auf ein Mobiltelefon festlegt werden
    • Nur ein Vertrag, eine Mailbox und eine Rechnung
    Your SIM Card with one phone number for three mobile devices

Use up to 3 mobile devices with the same phone number,for example Mobile phone, car telephone, Black berry or tablet
    Be reachable under one mobile phone number
    All devices will ring at the same time.
    Use data and phone at same time
    SMS / MMS can be switched to one mobile device.
    Only one contract,one mailbox, one bill.

That s the "Ultra Sim " called offer by Vodafone germany. Seems, that there was some fine tuning needed . so oneplus has fixed it.

18. charanchakravarthi
    Honeycomb Mar 10, 2016

charanchakravarthi , Mar 10, 2016 :
    Perhaps seeing the comments above you would realize that I had seen this page you had quoted but ignored it as it was nowhere in probable relation to the change / fix. And my assumption was right.. :)

19. charanchakravarthi
    Honeycomb Mar 10, 2016

charanchakravarthi , Mar 10, 2016 :
    Thanks a lot for getting to the bottom of this.. You found the treasure for me :)

@Adam Krisko : Perhaps we need to update the oneplus tech support here in India with such updates about fixes and changes because they did not have this information and never really got back in touch with me with an update. (Atleast that's what they promised)