What people are saying about the OP7 Pro: Pop-Up Camera

1. TonyTechBytes US Brand Ambassador Jun 3, 2019

TonyTechBytes, Jun 3, 2019 :
    [​IMG]

Hey OnePlus community! My name is Tony, and I’m one of the U.S. Brand Ambassadors for OnePlus who had the chance to introduce the OnePlus 7 Pro to fans who lined up during the pop-up event at the T-Mobile Signature Store in downtown San Francisco. Jason B. @USBA JasonB also collaborated with me on this project to showcase to you all user reactions to the exciting new pop-up camera of the OnePlus 7 Pro!

The new pop-up front facing camera features a Sony IMX471 sensor, electronic image stabilization, 16 megapixels, and an aperture of f/2.0. The front facing camera also allows for 1080p video recording at 30fps, HDR photos, Face Unlock, and Face Retouching. Additionally, the mechanism includes a rubberized gasket to protect it from moisture as well as dust. OnePlus proudly estimates that the pop-up camera can “withstand sliding out up to 300,000 times” which equates to “over 150 selfies every day for 5.5 years.”

Based on our testing, the pop-up camera takes around 0.54 seconds to pop out of its recess and slightly faster to slide back in. The motor proved very consistent with no noticeable outliers in our sample. OnePlus even stressed the camera (with videos on the official OnePlus YouTube channel) by popping the camera up and down for 12 hours straight and hanging a whopping 49.2 pound (22.3 kg) cement block on the front camera which is impressive to say the least.

But now that we got the detailed specifications out of the way, here’s what some people had to say about the pop-up front facing camera:

We’ve spoken to a multitude of people over the past few weeks and the main reaction when seeing the camera pop up appeared to be sheer awe. While many these days are accustomed to notches, cutouts, and hole-punches in their phone displays, OnePlus decided to take the leap into a new front camera mechanism. Initially, participants were confused as to where the front camera was located, but after the mere second of the camera popping up, they were in shock at how cool it looked.

Some participants were also curious about the build quality and durability of the pop-up camera, but we reassured them that they had almost nothing to worry about. The emphasis on safety features and durability implemented into the front camera construction prove to be very reliable in real-world situations. When asked about sharpness and overall camera quality, many replied by saying the front camera looks "plenty sharp," and the "dynamic range looks really good."

Adding on to safety features, the biggest one is actually an auto-recess system. When the device detects freefall using the accelerometer and gyroscope, it will automatically retract the camera. We’ve tested this numerous times and it's a really cool system. It even warns you when freefall is detected and asks if you want to reopen the camera—although we don’t recommend testing this on your own. One thing to keep in mind is that the pop-up camera will not be completely safe from drops at or below hip height due to its limited time to slide back into its recess. However, having the pop-up camera partially retract is better than not at all. And if you’re worried about bumping the camera while it’s open, it will retract if sufficient pressure is applied—as to not strip the screw.

If you’re new to Oneplus or the incredible feature of face unlock, you’ll learn rather quickly how useful it is. Unlike iPhones’ Face ID that is more of a hassle (as it requires 3 steps and is slower than a simple fingerprint or even a pattern at times); Oneplus’ face unlock seems to be the fastest way to unlock your device in just one simple step. The new OnePlus 7 Pro front facing camera works almost the same as previous models, with one difference: the pop-up camera. When you press the power button to wake the screen, the camera will automatically pop up then immediately down as it simultaneously uses the facial recognition data to unlock your device. There are also a slew of settings that can be adjusted for the face unlock, depending if you want the camera to automatically pop up, or if you prefer to slide up on the screen rather than using your pin or pattern. However, Android still requires fingerprint scans to be used for bank apps and Google Pay.

With numerous new features: a 90Hz refresh rate, triple-camera setup, a gorgeous 6.67" Fluid AMOLED curved display, and of course, the new pop-up front facing camera, the OnePlus 7 Pro offers a vast portfolio of justifiable reasons to purchase one. The pop-up camera is a fresh take on front facing cameras, which certainly looks more appealing than display cutouts. This allows those who don't use the front facing camera often, an option to conceal an unsightly protrusion that one would otherwise have to see all the time. While the OnePlus 7 Pro succeeds in many ways, it ultimately depends on the community to thrive in today's competitive smartphone market. Therefore, my question I'd like to ask you all is: What do you think of the pop-up camera of the OnePlus 7 Pro?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019

2. Josephw7 Cupcake Jun 3, 2019

Josephw7, Jun 3, 2019 :
    I don't personally have one, but I have watched videos on it made by trustworthy YouTubers, and they all had positive reviews on it. I love the implementation this year, and I hope next phone will be even better! keep up the good work!

3. TonyTechBytes US Brand Ambassador Jun 3, 2019

It certainly is a wonderful phone! Thanks so much!

nateavi, srj2192 and X1556292863674 like this.
  4. Sadlooo Cupcake Jun 3, 2019

5. caseyk44 Eclair Jun 3, 2019

caseyk44, Jun 3, 2019 :
    I love the OP7P! Everything about it! The cameras took amazing pictures. OP's software could be better. I tried an alternative camera app and the pictures (especially the ffc) were stunning, and better than I have seen on most phones. I was happy with the stock OP cam app. The app that I used just blew the stock OP camera app pics out of the water (in most cases.) OP should spend time and adopt/adapt some of these settings/code or whatever it takes, as it is open source and seemingly easy(I did this without root.)

The pop-up camera is amazing. Its so quick. I hardly notice when it pops up and down for face unlock. I have it set on swipe for face unlock as I find the fingerprint sensor to be amazingly fast!! I had the OP6T and didn't mind the water drop notch. The OP7P is in a whole other league with a beautiful screen! Zero interruptions from top to bottom, side to side!!

6. TonyTechBytes US Brand Ambassador Jun 3, 2019

Thanks for checking out my post! I believe the Almond color should be releasing sometime in June.

Sadlooo likes this.
  7. TonyTechBytes US Brand Ambassador Jun 3, 2019

I totally agree - it's truly a spectacular phone!

X1556292863674 and caseyk44 like this.
  8. MR.BEN312 Honeycomb Jun 3, 2019

9. MR.BEN312 Honeycomb Jun 3, 2019

TonyTechBytes likes this.
  10. MR.BEN312 Honeycomb Jun 3, 2019

nateavi, keithnyc and TonyTechBytes like this.
  11. caseyk44 Eclair Jun 3, 2019

12. B1559598831847 Donut Jun 4, 2019

B1559598831847, Jun 4, 2019 :
    I love the implementation of the pop up camera! I finally switched from my 4 year old iPhone 6s plus and went back into Android with my new OnePlus 7 Pro!

I had not upgraded in a while because none of the new cell phone options fit my needs. I did not want to get an iPhone XS Max because the cost is insane and if I'm paying that much for a phone I want to enjoy the entire screen display.

My number one requirement for a new phone was no notch. This ruled out the pixel lineup and iPhones.
    I would have definitely bought a Galaxy s10+ if it didn't have that awful pill notch hole. I find it funny how Samsung always has the commercials with the dark wallpapers in the upper right hand corner to hide the notch.

I was about to purchase a Vivo Nex but didn't want to deal with bringing it into the USA and using a phone on T-Mobile that didn't have all the bands.

I'd rather have a pop up camera than having a notch or anything else take away from my massive screen.

The only problem I have with my OnePlus 7 pro is that I would have liked a headphone jack but it's not a deal breaker. It would have been nice to have the option but my airpods are working great anyways.

My only concern with the pop up camera is that at times my phone becomes very dusty because of being in my pocket or in my house and I'm just afraid of dust and specs being inside the pop up camera.

Other than that I'm glad I bought my 7 pro on release date.

13. H1558035093916 Donut Jun 4, 2019

H1558035093916, Jun 4, 2019 :
    really An incredible phone. just moved out after been with iphone for 4 years. no regrets. really impressed so far

14. David Turney Gingerbread Jun 4, 2019

David Turney, Jun 4, 2019 :
    My OP7PRO is a great phone with great camera lenses. I switched from an iPhone 7+ and I have no regrets, I am very happy that I moved to the OP!

15. Chee_How_Teo Cupcake Jun 4, 2019

Chee_How_Teo, Jun 4, 2019 :
    pretty dumb gimmick actually. those who 'love it' now will most definitely regret it in 1 year when it breaks

16. B1559598831847 Donut Jun 4, 2019

B1559598831847, Jun 4, 2019 :
    Vivo Nex has been out for a more than a year and there hasn't been any complaints from them.

Pawcio62432 and keithnyc like this.
  17. David Turney Gingerbread Jun 4, 2019

David Turney, Jun 4, 2019 :
    I will get back to you in a year or so and let you know how it is doing :)

18. David Turney Gingerbread Jun 4, 2019

19. theshinybeast Marshmallow Jun 4, 2019

theshinybeast, Jun 4, 2019 :
    He's called TonyTechBytes so I reckon that's his best effort, you can't ask for miracles.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2019

20. TonyTechBytes US Brand Ambassador Jun 4, 2019

TonyTechBytes, Jun 4, 2019 :

[edit by moderator SoniaB]​

Thanks for the feedback, I guess. If I had the time to respond wholeheartedly to every single comment, I'd fully generate a response. But to agree with the commentator on their initial comment, and to keep the thread generally positive, I figured I'd simply write a simple statement agreeing with them. What could I possibly say that is negative? "The pop-up camera is trash," or "I hate the pop-up camera?" None of those statements are true - at least with my experiences - and I do not find any reason to hate on a product until I have encountered a negative experience. As for being a "shill" for OnePlus, I can assure you I am far from one. OnePlus does not even pay me and my follower count is far below that of mainstream influencers. What's the point of asking a nobody (me) to be a shill, when the company has practically nothing to gain from it (due to my minuscule following). The Brand Ambassador program is simply a program where regular OnePlus fans get to share their experiences with the phones. I have not encountered anything negative with using the pop-up camera, and therefore I cannot simply report false claims to negate my positive ones. Would you prefer I make up random rhetoric such as "the pop-up camera sucks" simply to satisfy your requirement of seemingly unbiased reviews?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2019

nateavi, Manu J., keithnyc and 2 others like this.