What people are saying about the OP7 Pro: Pop-Up Camera

1. TonyTechBytes US Brand Ambassador Jun 4, 2019

TonyTechBytes, Jun 4, 2019 :
    I'm genuinely serious - if you have a better idea for a brand name, I'd like to hear it. I'd like to thank you for the feedback, but in return, could you suggest a better name? Seeing that nearly every name involving the word "tech" is taken from other creators, I had to make a unique and somewhat corny name. As for my "best effort [in being a shill]," would you prefer I make up untrue statements in order to fulfill your insatiable desire for completely impartial online content? I honestly could not find any flaw with the pop-up camera. The mechanism is quite fast, the motor is consistent with no outliers in my observational study, the dynamic range is quite good, and the image quality is pretty sharp. The lack of a notch or cutout also proved to be much more pleasant looking than other phones. What false negativity would you prefer I spread?

nateavi, theshinybeast and MR.BEN312 like this.
  2. BlackyWolf Donut Jun 4, 2019

BlackyWolf, Jun 4, 2019 :
    Have to agree. The pop up camera allows for a true edge to edge display and it is hands down the best front facing camera I've ever used on a phone. Man... the clarity.

ScuneRap, nateavi, caseyk44 and 2 others like this.
  3. MR.BEN312 Honeycomb Jun 4, 2019

MR.BEN312, Jun 4, 2019 :
    it is the best camera ever!

TonyTechBytes and BlackyWolf like this.
  4. TonyTechBytes US Brand Ambassador Jun 4, 2019

I agree with you - the edge to edge display looks so much better than having a notch or camera cutout. Plus, I rarely use the front facing camera so I don't really have to use the pop up camera. Thanks for checking out my post!

5. Tobikage Nougat Jun 4, 2019

Tobikage, Jun 4, 2019 :
    Oh yes....It all comes down to the pop up camera in the end right ? :rolleyes:

Edit:
    PS : [removed by moderator] learn to quote posts properly.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2019

G_plusone and MR.BEN312 like this.
  6. TonyTechBytes US Brand Ambassador Jun 4, 2019

This whole post is solely about the OnePlus 7 Pro's pop-up camera (it's in the title if you couldn't read it). [removed by moderator] " I really wish you'd quote specific remarks and suggest improvements rather than berating me for being too positive towards a brand that doesn't even pay me.

7. MR.BEN312 Honeycomb Jun 4, 2019

MR.BEN312, Jun 4, 2019 :
    please let's respect others in the community ...thank you!

TonyTechBytes likes this.
  8. Tobikage Nougat Jun 4, 2019

Tobikage, Jun 4, 2019 :
    Pity that. Coz you seem to be trying real hard.

Guess there's a difference what the average forum user / community member with a brain sees and what the average Youtuber , Instagrammer / "influencer" sees.

Oh no...I totally skipped the part after
    You should try your hand at marketing....just saying.

Have fun with your thread Tony.
    I don't take kindly to people like these "Brand Ambassadors" who just join the forum for free advertising and leave right after they are done. :rolleyes:
    *Official advertising in this case ofcourse.

How about 'TT Bytes' ?

9. stansuys Froyo Jun 4, 2019

10. Hydra Bob Starting Point Expert Jun 4, 2019

Hydra Bob, Jun 4, 2019 :
    Hey Tony. I wouldn't take anything they say too personally. I suspect their issue is more with the brand ambassador program itself rather than anything you did or said personally. A lot of the 'old guard' OnePlus fans are somewhat, shall we say skeptical of the direction OnePlus has taken in the past few years. And to be fair they have given them a fair number or reason to be a little incredulous.

All in all not a bad write up though. Particularly the details on the testing and QA they did in the design process were interesting to read about for me. Personally I'm in the same camp as you that doesn't use the selfie camera enough to be concerned about it but some people have yet to be sold on the idea it seems. I guess only time will really tell if the pop up camera is a viable solution to achieving the full screen design that OEMs have been aiming to achieve in recent years.

alexhpeterson, YRJ, keithnyc and 6 others like this.
  11. B_Wrath Marshmallow Jun 4, 2019

B_Wrath, Jun 4, 2019 :
    Explain more about this. Falls from hip height are far quicker than retract time for the cam. So how is it very safe? Not everyone will be using the pop up cam at head height to take selfies.

12. TonyTechBytes US Brand Ambassador Jun 4, 2019

I actually didn't write that part - @USBA JasonB did. But I assume he meant that having the pop-up camera partially retract is better than not at all. I'll edit the post and include hip height drop concerns.

13. B_Wrath Marshmallow Jun 4, 2019

B_Wrath, Jun 4, 2019 :
    I'm honestly surprised that the multitude of people you interviewed didn't raise this point.

Honestly, this is why the "old guard" oneplus fans, like mentioned by @Hydra Bob (nothing against you mate), are skeptical about the ambassador programme, the YouTubers and influencers here. They never give the real picture about the phone or the feature. It's always sugarcoated and gooey gooey good.

I know it's your job to be an ambassador for the company, but I do hope the actual picture is portrayed. If we wanted only the good stuff, we would watch the marketing pitch.

14. SJBoss Lollipop Jun 4, 2019

SJBoss, Jun 4, 2019 :
    So you do all that for free? Pity.
    Well, a positive review with no negatives in a time when everyone is criticising the 7 Pro will sure can give people some hope so OnePlus does have something to gain from here, or maybe it’s just you tryna get some followers, or it’s maybe mutual... I really hope it is.
    “Regular” :rolleyes:
    And that’s the only thing 7 Pro has to offer right? A pop up camera.

If i recall it right, it was the most hated thing on the forums before the launch.

Also if you’re really going to do it, you should also be open to criticism, these long posts don’t really do much.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019

nateavi, YRJ, Hydra Bob and 2 others like this.
  15. petermarandi08 Eclair Jun 4, 2019

petermarandi08, Jun 4, 2019 :
    the pop up camera pops up whenever there's an incoming request for a video call.

it does so even when it's in the pocket.

kindly solve this issue. there should be a virtual button to allow the camera to pop up .

16. TonyTechBytes US Brand Ambassador Jun 4, 2019

Thanks for sharing this. I actually read about this a couple days ago, but didn't feel the need to share it since I personally haven't experienced it, but I'll include it in the post to warn people of potential issues.

nateavi, USBA JasonB and keithnyc like this.
  17. B_Wrath Marshmallow Jun 4, 2019

B_Wrath, Jun 4, 2019 :
    @TonyTechBytes this is another thing I wanted to talk about.
    Didn't the multitude of people you interviewed speak about this? This is widespread.
    Just out of curiosity, what was your samples size for this survey you did?

akshayr723 and SJBoss like this.
  18. TonyTechBytes US Brand Ambassador Jun 4, 2019

I'll admit, the sample size wasn't very large since they wanted us to interview friends and ask for their first impressions of the pop-up camera. It wasn't necessarily a conclusive review on the downsides and upsides of the pop-up camera. The sample also was not very representative of the population since it wasn't random and had bias since I asked close friends.

nateavi likes this.
  19. B_Wrath Marshmallow Jun 4, 2019

B_Wrath, Jun 4, 2019 :
    So, you lied in the opening post of yours?

Now, how do you think I can trust in anything else you say? You are the [edit by moderator SoniaB] ambassador of a company and you lie to just portray everything is A-Okay?

You just lost your credibility now.

akshayr723 likes this.
  20. TonyTechBytes US Brand Ambassador Jun 4, 2019

I didn't lie in the opening. I asked many people about their impressions about the camera, and most reactions were of awe. I never meant for this post to be conclusive about the pop-up camera nor did I mean for this to include all pros and cons about it. The sole purpose of the thread was to share first impressions and specs of the pop-up camera. I understand most of those aspects are positive, so that is why I couldn't really add issues like the pop-up camera during video calls since it didn't apply to first impression experiences. I wish I could have taken this into a direction where I asked true users about their experiences after a couple weeks about the pop-up camera, but that wasn't the case. I also want to let you know this was proofread by OnePlus staff, so I was under the impression that my writing was satisfactory. At this point, I'm probably making the whole scenario worse and I have no clue what to do.

MR.BEN312 likes this.