What Purpose Does OnePlus Community (forums) Really Serve?

1. SJBoss
    Lollipop Aug 1, 2020 at 6:33 PM

SJBoss , Aug 1, 2020 at 6:33 PM :
    "Created together with community" we've all heard it, read it, more times than we'd like. It's everywhere, on smartphone boxes on their website and on all things OnePlus, but what does it really mean?

There's always something going on the forums that'll make you feel like you're part of a "community", weekly updates so you know about the exciting stuff or weekend fun threads where you can engage in some fun activities with other forum users, announcements, contests, raffles and so on, yea the Community part is pretty much covered.

Now how OnePlus creates with Community? You've got Open ears forums, where once selected you can share your ideas and views on a predefined topic, Closed beta testers to improve Oxygen OS and some others things that we only get to know about when it's done like 7 Pro sample shot photographers or the focus group for Nord.

It's all fun and games until There's some issues within the community or products that users want OnePlus to acknowledge and address, OnePlus decides to turn a blind eye and OnePlus managed to do so not once, twice but many times and got away with it somehow.

If you're an old forum user you probably already know what I'm talking about but if you're someone new you might be curious (and I know you are) what bad this Angel could ever done? Well.

I'll walk you through some of the biggest oopsies.

OnePlus 2 and the Naugat Update : probably the biggest oopsie to date (probably not, keep reading and decide for yourself). Basically OnePlus promised OnePlus 2 users that they'll get the Naugat (Android 7) update and then just stopped talking about it, Even after a massive thunderclap campaign from you know who. later OnePlus decided to talk about it... But not here, on Android authority made all kind of bizarre excuses like "we didn't had enough people to work on that" or "OnePlus 2 hardware doesn't support Android 7". But never addressed it here on forums.

here's what OnePlus told Android authority

Jelly Effect on the OnePlus 5 : Yea upside down display on every OnePlus 5. People got mad, created thousands of threads but in a very expected turn of events, OnePlus turned to the Verge and said "It's Normal for Amoled panels" but didn't say it was normal for inverted Amoled panels (to be honest that was clever and sneaky). And never addressed the issue on the forums.

OnePlus's Statement on the Verge

But here's what people found after some digging

The mysterious Mkey App : with OOS 5.0.2 came an app that had no mention in the changelog. when enough people got worried about it, all we got was "The Mkey APK is a font resource that was provided officially for India for local font compatibility needs. This can be uninstalled by users if not needed or wanted, but we are required to provide it." There were a lot of follow up questions but we never got an answer, the App was removed with the next update without any explanation. @SoniaB made a list of all of the follow up questions and you can read it here read first two stickey posts to get the idea how bad the situation was... If you want to see how low OnePlus went, read further and you may find little Billy there.

There were more oopsies but I don't think I can write about it all so I'll just fast forward to the latest oopsies that for some reasons OnePlus still refuse to talk about here on forums.

OnePlus 8 series black bar and green/ purple tint issue : the issue is widespread you can find hundreds of threads about it on the forums and articles on the web but OnePlus refused to talk, unsurprisingly, just on the forums. OnePlus first told Android Police/9to5google that "there's a fix on the way" then they said it's the basic characteristics of Amoled then they admitted there must be some devices with hardware defect and replaced devices but never addressed it here on forums, Instead with all that going on Pete came out to tell people how great the display on the 8 series are :rolleyes:
    The Pursuit of Excellence: Striving to Deliver the Best Display Experience

The issue is still there, software "fixes" hardly fixed anything replacements were made people are still creating new threads and there's hardly anything you can call a "response" here on forums. Here's a notable and well detailed thread from a The LAB reviewer about the issue, do give it a read if you haven't already.

[The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro] Taking a stand - Post review experience

Tint Issue on Nord : And as soon as people started receiving their devices, people started to report a similar issues with the Nord displays. There was a response... Well kind of. Here's a link to the response

Major green tint issue

It's very similar to what already has been said about the 8 series. But to my surprise there was a "side note" acknowledging the issue in the weekly update thread and while that was surprising enough, I thought maybe an acknowledgement thread would've been better and asked just that, later I was told that the side note was there by mistake, it wasn't supposed to be there and it was removed within minutes. My follow up questions were left unanswered (that's kinda expected) and the Nord display issue threads keep popping up with only one thread with a response that'll mostly go unnoticed unless Mods and users like @B_Wrath will point other users to it.

So, now the question in title, What purpose does this forums really serve?

1. To help OnePlus improve its products and services and to even get new ideas. Who contributes to it? Users. Who benefits from it? OnePlus.

2. There's thousands of users online at any given time and majority of those users come here looking for a solution for problems that they've been facing, with tireless work of mods and again with the help from people like @B_Wrath many get the answers they're looking for and probably never login again, basically free Customer Support. Who contributes to it? Users and Mods. Who benefits from it? OnePlus.

But everytime there's an issue that users feel need to be addressed, OnePlus will either just straight up refuse to talk about it and hope people would get tired and stop asking about it or turn to the Verge, Android Authority or any other similar website with a very mediocre response. even if the issue was raised here on forums itself (which is the case most of the times.) Why?

And here's a few more questions for staff.

Why OnePlus always shy away from addressing the issues on forums?

Are we ever going to get an official and detailed response regarding the display issue on the 8 series (what has been done what's being done and what are the options for the users facing issues with their devices).

Is there going to be an official acknowledgement thread about the tint Issue on the Nord? So no one has to dig for that one post or turn to website like Android authority or 9to5google to know that you guys are aware of the issue.

I don't expect an answer.

Cheetosdust, YRJ, Plenkske and 43 others like this.
  2. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Aug 1, 2020 at 6:44 PM

3. B_Wrath
    Nougat Aug 1, 2020 at 6:45 PM

B_Wrath , Aug 1, 2020 at 6:45 PM :
    This sums up everything.
    For all the threads we have created this past week, there were only mediocre answers.
    This keeps happening every time. And they are succeeding with this tactics. I'm giving up on getting a proper response on anything. The before are the few questions which are yet to be answered properly in the recent times:
    1. The display issue.
    2. The CS issue.
    3. The forum gamification issue.
    4. The bloatware issue.

Honestly, I'm giving up on the fight. I thought they would see the mistakes in their ways. A simple thread answering then would have been at least satisfactory. But no. I'm not having any hopes on it.

4. SJBoss
    Lollipop Aug 1, 2020 at 6:51 PM

SJBoss , Aug 1, 2020 at 6:51 PM :
    No. I'm gonna need your views on it. What do you think about this?
    Bot like answers "hang on we're working on it". :rolleyes:

Cheetosdust, Mr. BG, the_o2 and 7 others like this.
  5. B_Wrath
    Nougat Aug 1, 2020 at 6:57 PM

6. B_Wrath
    Nougat Aug 1, 2020 at 6:58 PM

B_Wrath , Aug 1, 2020 at 6:58 PM :
    They haven't said that for many such queries.

7. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Aug 1, 2020 at 7:01 PM

Dresa91 , Aug 1, 2020 at 7:01 PM :
    well...to be honest:
    it all looks promising: OEF OxygenOS... what's promised for OxygenOS 11 is great.
    But it is always like this lately: in theory, so much is promised... but less in practice...
    There are many great approaches here in the forum.

To be honest: I'm looking forward to the release of the Pixel 5 or the iPhone 12 in autumn.
    Google: here I have in any case the guarantee of the Andrpid support for 3 years (until the end of the year of expiry).Apple:at least 5 years OS support (today)

After the success of the OnePlus 3 series, things are unfortunately only going downhill...

8. B_Wrath
    Nougat Aug 1, 2020 at 7:01 PM

9. drl431
    Marshmallow Aug 1, 2020 at 7:01 PM

drl431 , Aug 1, 2020 at 7:01 PM :
    It does seem like there is quite a number of subjects ignored by OnePlus in these forums. Your recent reply to the weekly update comes to mind. Also, I applied to participate in the OOS open ears forum with a question about providing a more accurate battery data about apps operating in the background (not in recents), but was not accepted. But, I do believe that OnePlus benefits substantially from customer support provided by these forums.

10. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Aug 1, 2020 at 7:02 PM

Dresa91 , Aug 1, 2020 at 7:02 PM :
    here:

11. GopalB.
    Nougat Aug 1, 2020 at 7:05 PM

Mr. BG, the_o2, MosheG1 and 8 others like this.
  12. B_Wrath
    Nougat Aug 1, 2020 at 7:05 PM

B_Wrath , Aug 1, 2020 at 7:05 PM :
    This statement is very true.
    We act like a CS most of the time sorting out people's issues.
    But this platform (forum) is the one which is most neglected by OnePlus.
    The social media is the more lucrative "community" for Oneplus. We are secondary now.

13. B_Wrath
    Nougat Aug 1, 2020 at 7:06 PM

B_Wrath , Aug 1, 2020 at 7:06 PM :
    You are an old regular.
    Enough joking. What's your views on the topic?

14. Goku_SuperSaiyan
    Honeycomb Aug 1, 2020 at 7:09 PM

Goku_SuperSaiyan , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Aug 1, 2020 at 7:09 PM :
    a very detailed thread , this is high time OnePlus should provide a clarification on this for all not specific to any device !

we don't need excuses on paid websites !
    @dsmonteiro @SoniaB
    put your attention and provide the message to the responsible person !

when my device (OnePlus 8 pro ) was at service center and the matter was sent to technical team !
    i was told that the team is working on this and soon these issues will be solved and the team is working !...
    when i asked more questions they said me that is due to E3 display panel used in it , they are not issues as it is in every unit !
    THAT'S THE MAJOR PROBLEM !!!!

now they come up with amoled nature excuses !
    They should have fixed it , else return the customers money !..

15. BeingIncog
    Nougat Aug 1, 2020 at 7:13 PM

16. Goku_SuperSaiyan
    Honeycomb Aug 1, 2020 at 7:24 PM

17. GopalB.
    Nougat Aug 1, 2020 at 7:25 PM

GopalB. , Aug 1, 2020 at 7:25 PM :
    Too much text...
    But from the title... I guess oneplus is not "created together with community" (or if they really think they are then I'm not sure what community that is)...

Anyhow, the point regarding bloat is, they are a business and they have to earn (as they have to pay those designers who thought that red over black was a nice idea, clearly employee of the month stuff, as they can't be paid in pei coins...) so they have to be sneaky as they have to keep this "less bloat" persona (yes they are not "bloat free" anymore...)

Second point would be "near stock" or what they came up with, one of the words that makes no sense and is there just for marketing, "burdenless" experience... And from what I've heard... A11 will change all that if it's not already changed after A10...
    So yeah... Lets blame that community for that too, as they created it...

Third would be all the issues that people are reporting and that terrible customer support... Why would they invest in a customer support anyways??? They have free labour here!!! And regarding those issues... I guess they already told that it's not an issue but a feature right??? (because there are no issues in OnePlus... Its all features that your dumb brain can't understand!!!)

Forth would be this very toxic community... I don't understand how you people can still give this place your time??? I mean if you speak your mind, you'll start getting abuses from fan bois, and if you say anything you'll get a warning from mods... Or else people won't read your conversation and find one joke and turn that into hate!!!
    This is too real for my comfort...

Is this what we are discussing??? (damn the community app just stuck while posting this... So if you see this twice or more than once... Just ignore...)

18. Tobikage
    Nougat Aug 1, 2020 at 7:27 PM

Tobikage , Aug 1, 2020 at 7:27 PM :
    As of now and today ? From my POV as a user ? Nothing really.

The brand , what it stood for , the people here back then (mostly gone) did mean something to me a long time ago....but now , mostly pointless.

Wouldn't feel bad one bit if it was shut down tomorrow.

There's a reason I never bought another phone from OnePlus after the OP2.
    I've got some choice words for @Carl that I'm not allowed to use here. :rolleyes:

giphy.gif

19. SJBoss
    Lollipop Aug 1, 2020 at 7:35 PM

SJBoss , Aug 1, 2020 at 7:35 PM :
    And let me tag some more people as well.

@meatandy @Mr. BG @Baymax @Shivang Joshi

Indeed.
    Can't agree more. Thanks for your views. Much appreciated.

So far only OnePlus benefits from this forums.
    For once ghosty speak up! :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    This place really turned into a shit show. I don't know why I even login here anymore
    Dobby is on fiyah :rolleyes:
    The truth has been spoken.
    I kind of hope it does, seriously.
    Well say it :rolleyes: let's exit with a bang? :rolleyes:

20. Tobikage
    Nougat Aug 1, 2020 at 7:36 PM