What Purpose Does OnePlus Community (forums) Really Serve?

1. SJBoss
    Lollipop Aug 2, 2020

SJBoss , Aug 2, 2020 :
    @dsmonteiro

For some reasons I'm not able to quote any posts so here's my response to your earlier post.

I don't know what makes you say that, getting an answer from the staff directly for almost everything that Pops up in my mind isn't what I want, because that's a quite an unreal expectation.

Yet we don't have an official response for the single most raised issue on the forum? So I don't know what's the problem here. People are raising issues you guys are collecting feedbacks so what's eggjactly missing? Why there's still no response on the 8 series display issue?

I'd really like you to shed some light on how users benefits from it? Because I can't really see it.

Yet, whenever there's issues that users believe needs to be addressed OnePlus always prefer tech websites to open up. And you understand that one more than me.

We're already familiar with the hard work you guys do and how community really works. That's why it isn't even a question in the opening post. With all respect to your hard work, I don't think explaining it is helping in any way to the cause this thread is created.

I just had three questions, the same questions that keep popping up with a new thread.

So here's my questions again

I said I don't expect a response. I haven't got one.

2. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 Aug 2, 2020

G_plusone, Tobikage, B_Wrath and 3 others like this.
  3. SJBoss
    Lollipop Aug 2, 2020

SJBoss , Aug 2, 2020 :
    Well my statement remains. What you said further explains why it's true. Neither I'm the one who needs assurance as I don't own a Nord or 8 series device nor it's of any use telling people "oh we already aware of it and working on it yea it took us thousands of threads from new users and a rant from old users to tell you just that while we could've acknowledged it earlier and avoid all that."

And about other things... Here's what some of the oldest and most active users think about the issue I'm talking about and OnePlus in general. In case you haven't been through the thread already.

So, here's some more feedback, if you like.

Also I know and understand you can't response to the questions I've raised because it's something to do with big guys, people involved in hardware and others.

That's why I don't expect a response.

4. rhyd1am
    KitKat Aug 2, 2020

rhyd1am , via OnePlus 6T , Aug 2, 2020 :
    I almost entirely agree with everything that @SJBoss said in the opening post here.

I joined the community back in 2016 and it was a very different place back then. I signed out of the community shortly after confirmation came that Oneplus was dropping support for the OnePlus 2 after only 1 year. That whole fiasco with the Oneplus 2 completely changed the way an awful lot of people viewed the company. In my case, it was the complete lack of transparency (and honesty) that they displayed that drove me away from OnePlus for a good while.

I returned to the community every once in a while just to see what was happening, before returning properly just after the launch of the 6t.

Oneplus have changed in some respects (doubt even they would do a OnePlus 2 or X again), but changing the amount of support they give devices in terms of updates etc, doesn't change the core problems.

The truth (from my perspective at least) is that the underlying lack of transparency and honestly is still unchanged. It would be great to see them create a thread acknowledging the problems regarding customer support, and an explanation as to what they are doing to improve the situation, but I doubt that will ever happen.

I like many others here will continue to help others here as best I can, but it is disheartening to know that when there are users who have issues that are beyond the help and advice if other users. The only option for them is to run the guantlet that is OnePlus support.

Just a short but if input from me 🤷‍♂️

5. Mr. BG

Mr. BG , Aug 2, 2020 :
    The silent treatment is standard policy, as I already stated

Quietly wearing you out until you give up or leave, and then...

[​IMG]

6. puccellino
    Lollipop Aug 2, 2020

puccellino , Aug 2, 2020 :
    So, since you are asking questions , heres here's a question for you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Who are all these people?

What do they do?

How many work in support, reasearch, interface coding and product testing?

How many work in sales, marketing, promotions, and advertising?

:rolleyes::oops::rolleyes:

Oreo., G_plusone, Auristic and 11 others like this.
  7. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Aug 2, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Aug 2, 2020 :
    Yes if someone were to be given rights to keep updating these kinds of posts it would be great. But that person would lack a few details though. Verified and taken care of bug info. What to expect in next update. It would be more based on probability and not true facts.

Without that insider info some issues can be tricky to write about. For example some peoples issues with network dying and only thing that helps is a reboot. Is it some network situations and combos or even hardware failure?
    I've been been questioned why I even write and respond sometimes... Like if I annoy them. Do they just want to see more complaints and agreements on how badly they feel Oneplus dealt with the issue and a pat on the shoulder? If they have the issue and I can't replicate it no matter what I do... some just want to talk about their bad experiance with support, rather than the differances that might be causing it or the possibility of an hardware issue, something that actually leads to something. But no. Complaining is prefered like if that would lead to some improvement of better contact with Oneplus staff 😋
    If their first attempt of support failed and ended up with an seemingly dead end they just seem to prefer being grumpy and write complaints rather than trying again and elevetate it a few steps further... Should it be needed? If the customer needs to be a pain in the *** to get support they desire I think there is room for an improvement. I try to encourage people to try again or try a other method to get the help they need.

Anyway... Too many seems to missunderstand the purpose of the forum. While parts of is debatable the part where users helping each other should be very clear. While getting that into some users heads seems to be a hard case to crack 🤔

8. SJBoss
    Lollipop Aug 2, 2020

SJBoss , Aug 2, 2020 :
    Damn... Now I think I should write about it and ask a moderator to stickey the post to the first page.
    That's the only reason I've created this thread, I don't own a 8 series device neither plan on buying any OnePlus Device. So I got nothing to gain from this.

But someone had to do this.
    More like Head of apologizing, OnePlus India :rolleyes:
    As long as people let it happen, it'll keep happening.
    Absolutely nothing, hence the no response statement.
    I say they're full of shit. We're completely fine. :rolleyes:
    We're said to see you go. Hope we'll cross path again :) (probably the response you'll get on twatter)
    You evil... Evil guy :rolleyes:
    I still have the screenshot and link to the article. A nice slap on the face of the "fans".

It also tells all the earlier stuff was pure BS supply chain problem small startup all BS.

9. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Aug 2, 2020

dsmonteiro , Aug 2, 2020 :
    Can't say about the third picture from Spark Camp. The other ones are from picture that work on Brand and Marketing Department, so you have people from Community, Social Media, PR, Addition Magazine, Creative team, Marketing, etc. People from "support, reasearch, interface coding and product testing" are from different departments so it's normal that they won't show up on these photos, as they are from different floors and buildings and even cities or countries. Though I can see if it would be feasible to start highlighting them more on Weekly Updates. Is that something you'd like to see?

We're actually thinking about starting to cover some of the events from other countries, namely giving a bit insight into how our team is working from home in India, with everything that is going on.

10. Mr. BG

Mr. BG , Aug 2, 2020 :
    The bitter thing is, nothing really changed.

Read the article and it could be written a few weeks ago, eagerly awaiting the latest model, the overhyping, this time it will be much better than the previous model.

In real life, basically underperforming again, with screen issues, scrapping the audio jack to save space, only to have the void filled by useless camera modules that don't even work or matter, just for the camera count. Software not optimised.

What still boggles me is this, if you can pick anything you want from the Oppo shelves, why are there still so many issues with every new device, time after time, that get the silence treatment, time after time, again and again.

[​IMG]

11. B_Wrath
    Nougat Aug 2, 2020

B_Wrath , Aug 2, 2020 :
    Because they have made a shit show off the CBT by including every tom, Dick and Harry, who don't even know what a bug report means! 250 people in a CBT group!? I don't understand why not just make it as open beta and the open beta as stable, seeing that the current open beta is more stable than the stable build.
    10%.
    90%.
    Oh he wasn't apologizing. He was taunting. "Good luck with your feedback. I dare you to make us acknowledge our screw up".

12. SJBoss
    Lollipop Aug 2, 2020

SJBoss , Aug 2, 2020 :
    What they're doing to the 8 and Nord series users is almost on par if not worse than that. They've paid twice the price and being treated just the same.

At least at that time there were more users to raise their voices in a manner that OnePlus... as expected didn't give a shit. And that's what going to happen to this thread as well.
    Actors.
    Act in scripted documentaries.

And won't change.
    Great, keep telling us the stories of the Neverland that OnePlus HQ is.

On top of that false advertising. Hiding info and basically making consumers look like a fool. I mean we all complain about cupcakes and their half witted threads about something again and again but they're just a by product of what BS OnePlus feeds 'em.
    All they know is marketing, this is where a big chunk of their budget goes. RDJ the biggest face on the Avengers Endgame poster holds the OnePlus device, How much does it cost? To give you an idea in 2012 he charged HTC $12 million.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020

13. rhyd1am
    KitKat Aug 2, 2020

Totally agree.

The fact is mistakes and bad choices happen. That's life, but when the same mistakes and bad choices continue to happen nearly 5 years later, it all begins to feel a lot less like mistakes, and a lot more like they really don't care!

14. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer Aug 2, 2020

BobbyV8_ , Aug 2, 2020 :
    You talking about long forgotten X? Just see the rotten support OP7/T users get. You know what? Forget regular users.. Me, being the LAB winner of their best device till date 6 months back whose review was posted on every Twitter handle of OnePlus get no support on the device.

If they call themselves community driven, can you please value my opinion? I was a PR stuff for you, I'm asking nothing more than fixing a glitchy back camera and an Alcantara case that got spoiled well within the warranty period. (accessories get 6 months warranty, no?)
    Atleast fix the camera and tinted display issues.. That's not just my problem, every user faces it some point of time!

Just gets proved one more time.
    That boosts my self confidence, thanks!
    "Ugh! Gross" is the response my brain gives.

Let us not get there... I won't talk about something that I don't know. I'll just see some custom ROM for the time being.

@dsmonteiro I respect you a lot, please don't get into this thread defending OnePlus. You don't have to answer us.. Let it pass please!

End of my opinions, I'll go back to being non existent on the forums again. Jai bolo Game XP points ki.. Jai! But honestly, I don't need them.

15. B_Wrath
    Nougat Aug 2, 2020

B_Wrath , Aug 2, 2020 :
    You are not getting them either:rolleyes:

Auristic, Tobikage, BobbyV8_ and 3 others like this.
  16. dsmonteiro

Sorry, but that feels fixed game.

The original post clearly stated that a reply wasn't expected as if OnePlus does not listen. Once OnePlus replies, at least a Community team member does, he's asked not to reply.

If you look at my couple replies in this thread, I'm neither defending nor attacking OnePlus - I'm providing context and a bit insight on how things work.

In this thread, the Community team was accused of, among other things, not listening, not replying, pushing sales, exploring its users. I'm not addressing product here. I'm addressing these.

Co-creation is a core pillar for Community team. Sales are not.
    That's why we believe in rewarding those that are part of the Community, regardless of whether they are a customer or not. That's why our new user ladder system is focused solely on those that participate in the Community, of those that help build the Community side-by-side. Yet, this was motive to be accused of exploring the Community.

17. B_Wrath
    Nougat Aug 2, 2020

B_Wrath , Aug 2, 2020 :
    Can you please not say that? That's not an entirely true statement.
    You know my stand on it.

In any case, coming back to the topic of the thread, you haven't answered my questions. Why is it hard for OnePlus to put up a thread here acknowledging the issues instead of going to some tech site?

18. rhyd1am
    KitKat Aug 2, 2020

Because they know the response they will get in the comments if they post the thread we're all asking for 🤷‍♂️

19. SJBoss
    Lollipop Aug 2, 2020

SJBoss , Aug 2, 2020 :
    Burnnnn!!!
    There's no fixed game David, we believe this is something that Community team can't address because simply it's out of their reach as I've already stated in previous responses to your post which you somehow missed.

People only accusing you of things that you don't control because you're telling 'em you're somehow involved even if it's just forwarding the feedback. When you'll tell us that you've forwarded the feedback it's only fair to ask for updates from you There's no other way.

Oreo., Batman360, Tobikage and 3 others like this.
  20. dsmonteiro

Hey @B_Wrath,

Sorry for making myself clear. I didn't state that, with the current system, we're able to recognize all users that are helpful. I've already acknowledged that and I'm currently working on ways to, like you mentioned, also find ways to account for those that help in announcements, update threads, etc. Apologies for the delayed reply to our PM, BTW, I'll try to get back to that ASAP.
    What I meant is that the entire system is built upon the premise of recognising and rewarding those that help build and maintain the community. And that's the only premise there is.

As for your question, as I mentioned in my first post here, I can only address those questions that are directly related to my roles and responsibilities and regarding things that are part of the Community team. I cannot reply on another department's behalf. With that said, your question and, more importantly, the feedback behind it, will be forwarded to the relevant people, just like evening else that is outside the Community team's scope.