What went down at the 2019 Mod Meet

1. puma95 Jelly Bean Moderator Jul 12, 2019

puma95, Jul 12, 2019 :
    there's no need anyway, males are harmless
    might do stupid jokes every once in a while haha

rarog, luxuskamel, script and 2 others like this.
  2. Horsault Marshmallow Moderator Jul 12, 2019

Horsault, Jul 12, 2019 :
    I like this kind of speech. :rolleyes:
    And curiously, when a study's conclusion is that there are more women than men in an institution, and that women are earning more than men in average, nobody seems to care or know how to promote equality.
    (it's something I really met recently).

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019

3. Discostu Jelly Bean Jul 12, 2019

Discostu, Jul 12, 2019 :
    does it begin with M?

SoniaB likes this.
  4. Helder_DAlmeida Honeycomb Jul 12, 2019

script likes this.
  5. H1560537029149 Cupcake Jul 12, 2019

6. jlasensiofi KitKat Jul 12, 2019

jlasensiofi, Jul 12, 2019 :
    Wooooow!!! [e]1f631[/e]

Congratulations to all the participants. It had to be an awesome Mod Meet and I love seeing some familiar faces. I trust that it has been very helpful.

Cool [e]1f51d[/e][e]1f64c[/e][e]1f44f[/e][e]1f44f[/e][e]1f44f[/e][e]1f44f[/e][e]1f44f[/e][e]1f44f[/e]

script likes this.
  7. Jalex_h Froyo Jul 12, 2019

Jalex_h, Jul 12, 2019 :
    A well-earned reward for all the hard work of the mod-team! Thnaks for sharing this and keep up the good work!

script likes this.
  8. nmatheis US Brand Ambassador Jul 13, 2019

luxuskamel and script like this.
  9. Mr. BG Marshmallow Jul 13, 2019

Mr. BG, Jul 13, 2019 :
    Experience I guess, if you live long enough you realise this world is a cruel place.

10. Abdul Basith2 Gingerbread Jul 16, 2019

11. TibiTibi Nougat Jul 17, 2019

buntycubal likes this.
  12. S1542884827542 Gingerbread Jul 19, 2019

13. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Jul 19, 2019

dsmonteiro, Jul 19, 2019 :
    I don't think that calling "bias" to the gender distribution on the forums is correct. Bias would be if there were a deviation from what's statistically expected.

Most OnePlus users are men and men are more likely to be into tech. It's only natural that a tech-oriented community around a phone company that has more men than women as its customers will have a high man:woman ration.

Moreover, some women prefer not to identify themselves as women here on the forums to avoid some nasty situations. There are also men that pretend to be women for one or other reason. That makes things even more blurry.

None of the mods so far has been chosen according to gender or ethnicity. The only factor that is considered aside from user activity is geographical distribution, to be sure that we cover all timezones.

With that said, I do agree with you that the mod team doesn't need to follow that trend. Any suggestions on how we can accomplish that?

luxuskamel likes this.
  14. Discostu Jelly Bean Jul 19, 2019

Discostu, Jul 19, 2019 :
    Just because something is "statistically expected" does not make it right or correct. I hear what you are saying though, I have spent my career in male dominated industries - Mining, Oil & Gas and currently the management consulting space. However, just because an industry is/was male dominated does not make it right or unable to change.

To your point about women not wanting to identify themselves as such on the forums - therein lies your issue. If women do not feel comfortable to be themselves, then there is a fundamental issue with how they are treated on the forums - this must change. Whether that be through better moderation, more female mods or both - the only way they will feel more comfortable is by being an active change agent.

I know none of the mods will have been chosen because of their gender, however, unconscious bias does creep in to everything we do in life - even if we think we're not, we still judge people. Is it right? No. Is it human? Absolutely.

I know I promised @SoniaB a PM to discuss this, however I unfortunately have a busy life that doesn't afford me much time on here nowadays! That said, these are some things I think that can be useful:
    • If women feel uncomfortable to be themselves on the forums, they will not want to be moderators. Crack down on behaviour that makes them uncomfortable;
    • Poll women on the forums - actively ask them things like, why they visit / what they enjoy about tech / what they like about OnePlus / what they are passionate etc.... understanding these reasons will help to better attract a more diverse mod and user pool;
    • Proactively promote other female mods or users in the spotlight - give them a stage to speak, this demonstrates that there is an openness to diversity and that there is no discrimination - it will make others feel comfortable and empowered to have their voice too;
    • Be blatant about promoting women or making them mods - there is nothing wrong with setting yourself targets to achieve in diversity, and if someone warrants being put into a leadership role then promote it. I know from prior experience when a company I worked for, we needed to increase our female representation and sought dispensation from the Australian Fair Work Commission to go to market directly speaking to women and advertising for them - be bold if you need to;
    • Encourage other female mods to refer their friends or people they believe would be good moderators as well - and reward them for doing so.
    Above all else, it boils down to having the right "culture" for a diverse community - if the culture is not right then nothing will change. Crack down on bullies. Crack down on misogynistic people. Promote diverse conversations. Promote females and give them a voice.

More than happy to go into more detail later if you'd like to. Diversity is incredibly important to me in my day job, and equally as important in day-to-day life. There is no reason for a poor representation of humanity in any form anymore.

TibiTibi, SoniaB and dsmonteiro like this.
  15. Wonderwoman13 Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 28, 2019

script likes this.